• Sep 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Losers!
    Better sweats at home (and better coffee) than khakis at an office, though

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Too true! I work from home, too. Luckily, I have so many meetings and other reasons to go outside that I am in no danger of turning into a pajama man.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endersgame
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        I am in no danger of turning into a pajama man.
        julian schnabel is an exception to this rule.

Comment

• mrbeuys
          • May 2008

I work from home a couple of days a week and always dress as I would if I was going out. Even wear shoes at home. I don't feel quite human otherwise.
          Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• yay
            • Sep 2014

i think that's the way to go, i sometimes do that and i do feel better

Comment

• naturalalmonds
              • Sep 2013

I wonder who is buying XXL Ann Demeulemeester...
              I want to do product, I am a product person, not just clothing but water bottle design - Kanye West

Comment

• ahn
                • Jul 2012

I feel so ridiculous for sharing this, but I’m slowly realising that I’m not the ideal fit candidate for most of Rick’s pieces except his jackets and shoes.

I've always taken so much inspiration from his vision, and always wanted to be one of his women. Over the last few years I’ve invested not just money but much mental energy and passion trying to become one... and it’s just not working.

I feel almost ashamed for the admission that I put so much of myself into a designer's vision that I realise I can't fulfill. I've always believed that personal style is one of the most natural - and therefore fundamentally important - forms of self expression. Coming to this understanding is realizing that I have lost a part of my sense of identity. So if I'm not one of Rick's women, who am I?

Where do I go from here? And what do I do with all the garments I own that I'm truthfully unlikely to wear again...

some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• unwashed
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ahn View Post

Where do I go from here? And what do I do with all the garments I own that I'm truthfully unlikely to wear again...

Find a new aesthetic? Can be tough though... I recently came to think myself that I'm more a Drkshdw (or pre-2011 Rick) than RO mainline guy.

Just unload the stuff online. So make an eBay account I guess :)
                  Last edited by unwashed; 04-14-2015, 01:41 PM.
                  Grailed link

Comment

• ahn
                    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
                    Harnden.

(Just joking...well, mostly joking)

Actually I was just discussing this with another poster, how many people transition from Rick to something else (not just Harnden, although that was our particular shared touchstone), but how despite a common direction of travel the reasons in each case seem different.

I think finding a new love is easier when you shop in B&M stores, or so it has seemed to me--I myself only got into Paul having seen and worn his stuff because I was encouraged to try it while trying on Rick. Multi-brand boutiques always have similar or at least parallel brands you can try if your preferred designer fails you, or by which you can be ambushed and consumed despite intentions of designer-loyalty.

There's a great Sarah Lanzi dress on sale at Lazzari?

I suppose the "what's next" question depends on how those Rick pieces don't meet your desires any more. Is it fit, aesthetic, how you live in them? do you not feel comfortable out and about in all-Rick, or is it rather that you see a better alternative that makes Rock seem less desirable?
                    Ahaha I brought Harnden up too with my partner over dinner. I love other people in Harnden; there are even a few signature pieces I would love to wear - the full skirts, the classic blazers... but there's a lot that is simply too whimsical for my tastes.

I would say I have fit demons. I'm acutely aware of my body shape and I'm quite pedantic about how a garment should fit me for me to perceive it as flattering (and therefore feel comfortable/confident in it). Given my dedication to the Rick Owens brand for so long I'd say I've really been in denial about my fit problems with most of my garments. I would tell myself they'd look better if I lost weight, only now I have lost weight and if anything they look worse. It's not the size, it's the cut. They're beautiful -- just not on me.

I really feel like I need to try a lot on in order to learn who is out there, cutting patterns that might better fit my body shape. There aren't a lot of great multi-brand stores in Melbourne with a large selections, but there are a couple - I think it's time I took my goggles off and acquainted myself with some new (to me) labels.

It's also finding yourself in a different place in life - I go "out" a lot less, I don't need the lovely dresses and heels I once wore regularly. I own a lot of things (not just Rick) that simply don't suit my lifestyle anymore.

So you know all in all I have a lot of garments I've been keeping for all the wrong reasons no wonder I'm finding it harder and harder to get dressed in the morning. I have nothing to wear
                    some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I feel so ridiculous for sharing this, but I’m slowly realising that I’m not the ideal fit candidate for most of Rick’s pieces except his jackets and shoes.

I've always taken so much inspiration from his vision, and always wanted to be one of his women. Over the last few years I’ve invested not just money but much mental energy and passion trying to become one... and it’s just not working.

I feel almost ashamed for the admission that I put so much of myself into a designer's vision that I realise I can't fulfill. I've always believed that personal style is one of the most natural - and therefore fundamentally important - forms of self expression. Coming to this understanding is realizing that I have lost a part of my sense of identity. So if I'm not one of Rick's women, who am I?

Darling, you are a closet Ann Demeulemeester woman, if there ever was one! From what I have gathered from your photos, it should suit you perfectly well. Harnden is too old for you, but Ann is both romantic and modern. There is no costume or nostalgia in it.

Also, if it makes you feel better, there is no such thing as a Rick Owens woman. I have seen maybe five outside of a catwalk. Rick makes a lot of difficult clothes and a lot of them don't sell or if they sell they end up languishing in women's closets. Jackets and shoes, yes. Dresses, I don't know a single woman that owns a Rick Owens dress. Same for skirts. Tops, yes, very selectively. Pants/jeans, sometimes.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

I have, too, but ahn is not one of them, in my humble opinion.
                        At the end of the day, full on Harnden is cosplay light. It does not reflect our world. Like irony and hipsters, it will only exist in certain places and amongst certain self-selective groups. His proposition is too narrow, and thus too boring to hold my interest for long.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Yes, I am talking an all-in proposition. I love my two Harnden long blazers, but I mix them with other things.

The difference between a full-on Harnden and full-on Rick/Ann/Haider/Yohji is that the latter are DESIGNERS - it is THEIR world we walk into. Surely, they have references, but they process them through their lens and put out original work. With Harnden, it's just a historical period we walk into. It's too obvious. He's just not a designer with a capital "D." His references AND his output are too specific and they lay specifically in the past. Though I admire his fabric choices

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• wildinthewoods
                            • Feb 2014

I really feel like I need to try a lot on in order to learn who is out there, cutting patterns that might better fit my body shape. There aren't a lot of great multi-brand stores in Melbourne with a large selections, but there are a couple - I think it's time I took my goggles off and acquainted myself with some new (to me) labels.

It's also finding yourself in a different place in life - I go "out" a lot less, I don't need the lovely dresses and heels I once wore regularly. I own a lot of things (not just Rick) that simply don't suit my lifestyle anymore.

So you know all in all I have a lot of garments I've been keeping for all the wrong reasons no wonder I'm finding it harder and harder to get dressed in the morning. I have nothing to wear
                            I understand these sentiments. I'm really petite, and most Rick silhouettes would just swallow me whole. I find myself gravitating towards Ann D, Dries and Yohji now. I find their clothes make me feel more womanly, more confident, and more grown up. I buy pretty much all my Ann by scouring online because I love the older stuff, it is really time consuming but worth it for me. I have found some gems on Rakuten.

Comment

• dji
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
                              Actually I was just discussing this with another poster, how many people transition from Rick to something else
                              I feel like I'm the only one that has transitioned the other way, I blame moving to 'Merica..

Comment

• PurpleJesuss
                                • May 2014

Faust i do agree with some of your points on PH, that it is entrenched in the past, that it may behave as a secluded practice, devoid of many contemporary influences. I do however believe that it is quite modern in its own way, mainly through the cut which seems much more flattering and "new" than the ancient clothes it draws inspiration from. Construction as well. The green seams on the SS15 jackets are very peculiar.

fmc I strongly agree with your opinion on Forme. It does seem like a very romantic brand to me. It's something i have not yet experienced much in the artisanal brands i have seen(i'll exclude PH/ED).

djiI'm curious why you think Rick is more fitting in this area?Is it because of the weather or comfort? What did you wear before?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎