Thread: random fashion thoughts

I didn't even notice their names. Why?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Does anyone at shows leave their phone in their pocket anymore? I can understand taking a few quick snaps, but this whole lot was glued to their phones throughout the entire Yohji show, and they're certainly not the exception. Half the time it looked like they were just reading stuff on their phones, not even taking photos.

Quote Originally Posted by jogu View Post
    i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Probably looking at Photos they have taken.

Some SZ members in that pic
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Also, for many of them, they will be there in some professional capacity, and there are a million things going on during the week of shows that demand their attention. I'd be willing to bet they aren't just ignoring the show for fun or casual web browsing.

We live in an era where to cover an event or to be present in a journalistic capacity almost demands being glued to a smartphone. For a lot of people at those events, being on email or whatever social media platform is a vital part of their job. You can argue this is good or bad, but I don't think it's an indictment of character for any of these people to be on their phones at a show like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfMonnitoff View Post
    Does anyone at shows leave their phone in their pocket anymore? I can understand taking a few quick snaps, but this whole lot was glued to their phones throughout the entire Yohji show, and they're certainly not the exception. Half the time it looked like they were just reading stuff on their phones, not even taking photos.

Haha, yeah, take that AKA*NYC!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by axtang View Post
    Also, for many of them, they will be there in some professional capacity, and there are a million things going on during the week of shows that demand their attention. I'd be willing to bet they aren't just ignoring the show for fun or casual web browsing.

We live in an era where to cover an event or to be present in a journalistic capacity almost demands being glued to a smartphone. For a lot of people at those events, being on email or whatever social media platform is a vital part of their job. You can argue this is good or bad, but I don't think it's an indictment of character for any of these people to be on their phones at a show like this.
    There are both kinds - the kind that professor deplores, and the kind you explain. I will say this again, the only Instagram filter that matters is the ME filter. "I" was there. "I" was with this person. "I" saw this. Etc.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by okayvin View Post
    The Canadian dollar is falling faster than any price drops
    okay i'm exaggerating, slightly
    i get paid in usd, and it's such a blessing

Quote Originally Posted by gregor View Post
    i get paid in usd, and it's such a blessing
    me too, after I graduate in a few months

What's with the increase in marketing language and hype in second hand listings? Don't miss your chance on this iconic piece! Maybe I've just been on Grailed too much...

Quote Originally Posted by aussy View Post
    What's with the increase in marketing language and hype in second hand listings? Don't miss your chance on this iconic piece! Maybe I've just been on Grailed too much...
    People love stories/embellishment. One of many aspects to being a successful salesman.
    who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Quote Originally Posted by ADreamofBlue View Post
    People love stories/embellishment. One of many aspects to being a successful salesman.
    A lot of the "rare" pieces are the oddly coloured, unpopular runway pieces that no retailers bought and were only sold on the website and in flagships (and were bought at maximum markdown). Hard to believe anyone falls for those pitches, especially if you lurk online retailers once and a while. As an aside, how do people on grailed acquire full size runs of items to sell? Are they stores selling their unused inventories? People trying to profit on marked down stock? Theft? Fake?

Quote Originally Posted by Lex1017 View Post
    A lot of the "rare" pieces are the oddly coloured, unpopular runway pieces that no retailers bought and were only sold on the website and in flagships (and were bought at maximum markdown). Hard to believe anyone falls for those pitches, especially if you lurk online retailers once and a while. As an aside, how do people on grailed acquire full size runs of items to sell? Are they stores selling their unused inventories? People trying to profit on marked down stock? Theft? Fake?
    To you, me and most of the people on this board: yes, they can be ridiculous and we see right through them. However, I'm not sure how many tourists wind up on Grailed/seller pages through some search engine and don't know any better. I'd be interested to see where the majority of Grailed's traffic gets redirected from...

As for your latter questions, I have hunches but nothing concrete to go on. Maybe Faust or one of the SZ vets have an idea...
    who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

In my mind, consumers of this type of clothing are primarily interested in the story the designer is selling directly or marketing/celebrity hype, not that of some random seller without any taste making clout. Details on the production and construction or even a simple "it looks sick" would better sell the piece. My eyes glaze over whenever I read any generalized, buzzy sell, especially those that label any ole piece shown on the runway as iconic. I would say that's a sign of bad salesmanship.

Also re: Lex1017's question, I've seen a number of sellers unloading multiple sizes straight from spence and other discount retailers. I can't speak to whether stores sell backstock on the site, but since I don't see any limitation listed in the rules on the type of sellers permitted I'd say its probable but hasn't yet been exploited.

you can get stuff 80 percent off from family sales including Rick Owens sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by unwashed View Post
    Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
    I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by aussy View Post
    Grailed is poison. It turns everything into mere product. I've been approached a few times by sites like these to monetize SZs classifieds and I have turned them down. I like that for most people our classifieds are an extension of community.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Grailed is poison. It turns everything into mere product. I've been approached a few times by sites like these to monetize SZs classifieds and I have turned them down. I like that for most people our classifieds are an extension of community.
    there's been a pronounced decline in buyer "attitude" ever since grailed's inception as well.

definitely poison.
    —
    -

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscharles View Post
    there's been a pronounced decline in buyer "attitude" ever since grailed's inception as well.

definitely poison.
    Well, that's exactly it, isn't it? The pervasive bargain hunting especially. Trailed seems to be full of high school kids who saw the RO tee on Kanye West and are now saving their allowance to get it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

i lost my favorite silly hat a few days ago, i was utterly crushed, i trashed my entire house looking for it, went outside and dumped out the disgusting garbage and sifted through, I couldn't find it, all hope was lost.

on wednesday i found my goofy hat in the basement of a church sitting on top of a tray of oreos. reunited at last.
    Instagram, aka please validate my existence:

Idiosyncratic_0

Quote Originally Posted by round View Post
    i found my goofy hat in the basement of a church sitting on top of a tray of oreos. reunited at last.
    Now I want more information. How did the hat get there? Why does the hat like oreos? Is the hat catholic? So many un-answered questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Well, that's exactly it, isn't it? The pervasive bargain hunting especially. Trailed seems to be full of high school kids who saw the RO tee on Kanye West and are now saving their allowance to get it.
    "what's your best price?"

"xxx dollars"

"but that's your best price?"

"fuck you."
    —
    -