• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by zamb View Post
    As a student of fashion for a very long time, there is no question in my mind that there is a serious decline in both the appreciation of, and also the output of many artisanal brands. truth be told, without naming names many of the designers considered "artisanal" are not but that's another story altogether.
    On the other side of the coin, I think one could argue that there is no single definition of what "artisanal" even mean.

There was a time between 2002 and 2006 when every season I used to go to Barneys, I used to go there ti look at the work of designers like Dries, Ann, Yohji, Richard Tyler, Chalayan, McQueen etc. there is no question in my mind that the quality of those items then, do not exist in many designer collections today. there was a level of workmanship and an attention to detail that is completely lost in todays fashion market.

It is no different in the Artisanal Market, some of the newer designers coming out do not know how to make clothes, and do not care to learn either. Social Media and promotion through instagram and all the other mediums have become the route to success (fame)
    One of the reasons why i respect a designer like Carol is that whether one likes it or not, no one can accuse him if cutting corners, of not doing the necessary research, of not working out his concepts to their logical ends.......I feel like more of that needs to be done.

In a way, thinking about it, maybe its the designers, myself included, maybe we have failed to keep the attention of the audience/ clients that we seek. maybe the decline in appreciation is a direct result in the decline of our output.........that really might be something to consider
    CHURCH. Again, couldn't agree more.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
      • Jan 2007

A common detail is overlock stitching—a loose, open stitch visible on the surface of the clothing
      Originally posted by jogu
      i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• yay
        • Sep 2014

i think the article is fairly good, maybe i just have a low standard. but the problem is always the same, once you are pretty deep into some circle of knowledge, any articles you read seem wrong-ish and/or shallow. always makes me wonder what the quality of information actually is i'm getting when the stuff i read is about a topic i don't know much about or atleast don't have direct/inside information. this used to be especially obvious with anything related to tech/internet a few years ago where everything you read in major newspapers or tv news was just flat out wrong.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

It's now in the Business of Fashion day digest.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TheDivinitus
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by ProfMonnitoff View Post
            We all have to remember that the article was posted in global business news and not in "fashiopedia", and was written by a (relatively) normal person for the average reader.

I'm happy SZ & Co got free mainstream publicity as well as the movie (well, in some remote way) - which probably won't sell easily to the masses either.

Originally posted by yay View Post
            ...but the problem is always the same, once you are pretty deep into some circle of knowledge, any articles you read seem wrong-ish and/or shallow. always makes me wonder what the quality of information actually is i'm getting when the stuff i read is about a topic i don't know much about or atleast don't have direct/inside information. this used to be especially obvious with anything related to tech/internet a few years ago where everything you read in major newspapers or tv news was just flat out wrong.
            It still continues.
            blog

Comment

• NOHSAD
              • Nov 2014

Do people tend to " keep their sources" within the SZ community/world? While running around at work today I was stopped and complimented by a customer on my shirt (was wearing ZamB). I gave him the website to the store, saying he can buy it if he wants to. He became surprised, saying "guys, including myself usually don't tell people where we buy our clothes yet you do?!". I know within the streetwear culture it's a more common thing, with the whole exclusive mentality that comes with it, but I never felt the need to keep where I buy my clothes a secret, it's foolish.
              "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Actually, I think the whole streetwear thing is so extremely successful BECAUSE there is a lot of sharing of information going on. Much more so than in designer fashion where everyone is paranoid.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• newp
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by NOHSAD View Post
                  Do people tend to " keep their sources" within the SZ community/world? While running around at work today I was stopped and complimented by a customer on my shirt (was wearing ZamB). I gave him the website to the store, saying he can buy it if he wants to. He became surprised, saying "guys, including myself usually don't tell people where we buy our clothes yet you do?!". I know within the streetwear culture it's a more common thing, with the whole exclusive mentality that comes with it, but I never felt the need to keep where I buy my clothes a secret, it's foolish.
                  I usually avoid telling my friends about brands I am wearing since it's more or less equal of telling them the price of it and most of us know it doesn't end well.

Comment

• unwashed
                    • Dec 2008

Since the birth of my son I have been on the hunt for cool clothing more for him then for myself. I just found out there is a world of cool baby clothing designers out there which I did not imagined would exist. SZ-baby is real . I also matched the babywrap with my wardrobe of course
                    Grailed link

Comment

• gregor
                      • Oct 2014

doesnt ma+ do children's boots?

whole great thread in fp mentioning reams of brands for children in veins similar to those worn by sz parents.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by unwashed View Post
                        Since the birth of my son I have been on the hunt for cool clothing more for him then for myself. I just found out there is a world of cool baby clothing designers out there which I did not imagined would exist. SZ-baby is real . I also matched the babywrap with my wardrobe of course
                        We have a thread for this, you know

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Rick-A-Doodle
                          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by NOHSAD View Post
                          I divulge as much information about where I get stuff as possible. I have the same mentality with BMX/Skating spot sharing. People are just tryna have fun, ya know?

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Rick-A-Doodle View Post
                            I divulge as much information about where I get stuff as possible. I have the same mentality with BMX/Skating spot sharing. People are just tryna have fun, ya know?
                            I can understand that, yet I personally feel a bit uncomfortable because it generally means also divulging how much do your clothes cost.

Most people have a very hard time understanding (and accepting) one spends 500-1000€ for a pair of sneakers / boots / leather jacket / whatever... and they tend to change the way they look at you, once they know you carry 1000+ / 2000+ / whatever insane amount of € with you on your clothes.

Not "divulging" the sources to me is more out of "modesty" if I may. I always feel a bit embarrassed to say how much my clothes really cost. I don't like that. And that is also why I like this type of "SZ" luxury. It's non ostentatious / in-your-face / branded BIG LOGO luxury, but rather a discrete and artisanal / intimate approach to nice things and nice clothing.

just my 2c.

Comment

• Defender
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2015

Why hasn't someone built a website that finds the best price on any given item across all websites?

Google and bing do not find all websites listing certain items, so it's hard to find the best price on any given item without having to search for it on all of the websites we typically use for "sz brands."

It would be great to be able to go to one place to find the best price on a single item from a designer's collection.

Someone with some coding knowledge...please get on that

Comment

• Shucks
                                • Aug 2010

um... doesn't watchamacallit lyst do something like that almost...?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎