X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xeraphim
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Defender View Post
    It would be great to be able to go to one place to find the best price on a single item from a designer's collection.
    so you're after a cheap bargain and still want others to do the job for you?

Comment

• Defender
      Banned
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by xeraphim View Post
      so you're after a cheap bargain and still want others to do the job for you?
      Yes. That's called utilizing technology. Welcome to the Information Age.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Shucks is right - Lyst does a pretty good job.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Defender
          Banned
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
          um... doesn't watchamacallit lyst do something like that almost...?
          Looks like it's pretty close, but it seems to list the same item multiple times at various price points instead of just the best price, which leads to a lot of bloat. Still, it's a pretty good start, thanks.

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

At this rate Artisanal designers and stores may as well be competing with the H&M's of the world.

I want my steak from the beef of non fertilized grass fed cows but I want it as close to big mac pricing as possible!
            Make it happen entrepreneurs make it happen!!!
            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• dji
              • Feb 2008

Someone with some coding knowledge...please get on that
              not as easy as it seems, many sites don't list the exact style codes and even if they do you'd probably need to code specifically for a lot of the webstores due to wack webdesign (see LN-CC for example).

Comment

• Defender
                Banned
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                I want my steak from the beef of non fertilized grass fed cows but I want it as close to big mac pricing as possible!
                Make it happen entrepreneurs make it happen!!!
                That's capitalism.

Also, I wasn't suggesting lowering the retail price of items. It's just that there are multiple vendors selling the exact same item at sometimes wildly variant price points, and it would be nice to not have to review over a dozen websites to make sure I'm making the best choice as a consumer.

If the result is that there are fewer stores selling products because their only purpose was to middleman items between me and the designer, then that would ultimately be good for me as a consumer, too.

Ideally, designers would all sell direct to consumers at the ideal price that the market would bear to allow for a tidy profit and continued artistic endeavors, but since that's not the case...

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

I never subscribed to the idea if purr capitalism...
                  And those who do have no moral foundation to stand on when its circular devastation wreck havoc on thiet lives, health, finances and the greater society they are forced to live in.
                  There is a price to be paid for everything including capitalism and most often its prices isnt written with a dollar figure in it...
                  “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                  .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by dji View Post
                    not as easy as it seems, many sites don't list the exact style codes and even if they do you'd probably need to code specifically for a lot of the webstores due to wack webdesign (see LN-CC for example).
                    Also you need a business model. Lyst's is using affiliate programs. So, if a store doesn't have one, they won't be featured on Lyst. The round about way is the farfetch affiliate program that pools boutiques.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Defender
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Also you need a business model.
                      I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks a month/year to save me time and make sure I get the best price on an item.

I think it would be a great subscription service...almost like a reverse consignment model?

Especially if it had notifications such as, "let me know if/when xyz shoe hits $500 in size 43." That way if I like a shoe and know a price I'd pull the trigger on, I could.

It's basically a personal shopper, now that I think about it more, but online and open to browsing, too.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

You and how many others? People who are used to free shit on the Internet will simply not pay for it. It's not a matter of how much but a matter of free/paid.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BrokenBoards
                          • Jan 2014

That's capitalism.
                          Then you're going to have the competition constantly undercutting each other like they do on Amazon. $49.99 + $3.99 shipping is the same as $47.99 + $5.99 shipping from a different seller, so it's still going to be up to the consumer to make an informed choice where there $53.98 goes.

The probability of getting the entire fashion industry on board with something like this isn't likely to happen anytime soon....remember, there's a lot of smoke and mirrors and faux-elegance in the industry that always has and always will take precedence over your burning desire to save yourself a few clicks of the mouse.
                          "I would use lard if it came in a pretty bottle."

Comment

• Defender
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2015

Well, I think there's a problem with pricing in general. Take the example of Rick Owens Faun spring blade high tops.

I can see them for sale today in my size in the following prices: $472, $735, $807, $893, and $1050.

That's a pretty big pricing gap all on one item...

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

Why hasn't someone built a website that finds the best price on any given item across all websites?

Google and bing do not find all websites listing certain items

You answered your own question. Google doesn't find all pages because they don't match the terms, aren't indexed properly etc, thats why this cheapskate.com would not find all of the options either
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Defender
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                                You answered your own question. Google doesn't find all pages because they don't match the terms, aren't indexed properly etc, thats why this cheapskate.com would not find all of the options either
                                It's funny to me how defeatist people seem to be regarding this potential web service. I'm sure someone could get it done if he/she were so inclined. It's not brain surgery. Just because google and bing are lazy search engines built on decades old indexing procedures doesn't mean an enterprising young person couldn't build a website to find shoes for sale on jus.se It could even be based on browsing and capturing prices when users view certain web pages, etc., or user/purchase crowdsourcing information like traffic apps on iphones.

The negativity makes me want to hire someone on elance.com to get it up and running for me just so I can use the service myself ha

Using the Rick shoe example from above, if it would save me $500 on one item, it would easily pay for itself right away.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎