Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gregor
    • Oct 2014

i'm not a giant fan of kva, either at his own label or at dior, so i have no real attachment when saying that it's kind of not news for me. i think he should focus on honing his work at dior, as that was always much nicer than his own label. however, this may end up revitalizing his own brand if and or when he does come back; something that is much needed for the line.

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by gregor View Post
      i'm not a giant fan of kva, either at his own label or at dior, so i have no real attachment when saying that it's kind of not news for me. i think he should focus on honing his work at dior, as that was always much nicer than his own label. however, this may end up revitalizing his own brand if and or when he does come back; something that is much needed for the line.
      You have to take into consideration that a company like Dior has deep pockets and the resources to produce nicer things than KVA would be able to produce under his own name. It is almost the same as when AP was at Versace, in such cases the designer is not limited by budget constraints and is free to design. There was a time when LVMH would make investments into the brands of designers who worked for them. They did it with Marc Jacobs, they did it with Galliano and I think also Kors. those days seem to have long past and designers like KVA are limited by the resources of their companies performance and whatever grants/investments/ sponsorships they can acquire.

There was is and will always be smaller independent brands coming on the scene and a lot of them eventually closing, this is nothing new and the reasons for this are as varied as the aesthetic of the designers.......However over the last several years, I am convinced that it's not a good time industry wise for smaller brands. the cost of materials, show production and all the other logistical necessities needed to keep a brand going is getting more and more expensive and I am not sure the whole thing is sustainable........
      Last edited by zamb; 06-01-2015, 10:33 PM.
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• gregor
        • Oct 2014

oh definitely, i can see that it's a mutli-tiered decision beyond merely wanting to hone his art or work on the dior look as opposed to his own. i think he's smart for doing it. i'm not well-educated enough to perhaps comment on the fiscal intricacies of running a brand, though i realize they are vast.

either way, i'm rather unmoved by the whole affair, but i do think he was right to do it, and can at see it's a mixed bag from both a business and aesthetic side.

also, i hope it's sustainable, as the world would be a very sad place without the capacity for new brands and designers to showcase their works.

Comment

• Arkady
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by guardimp View Post
          Leopold bossert is the main offender, although to call his initial start a copy of Ccp is a bit fallacious. He made custom pants, with the options to make them any way you wanted. Sure he had options to make them like ccp, but is that his fault or the fault of people who had him make the knockoffs? Should no one be allowed to use the same methods Ccp uses? Tbh I'm not sure what the big difference between him and a1923 is though, both make items extremely similar to other designers and yet only he gets a bad name. And a1923 makes direct rips on Ccp footwear, no choices or excuses just copies of Ccp year after year.

Another brand rife with similarities (that I'm not sure if layers carries) is bergfabel, although you could claim both they and harnden merely copy turn of the century workwear. Slight differences in their products but at what level of similarity does it become copying? Similar things could be asked of carpe diem and all the offshoots, what level of creative input excuses direct pattern usage (m.a+). So few designers actually have novel clothing (such as inaisce or harnden), are we splitting hairs as to how derivative you can be before it becomes a negative?
          Don't forget the illustrious 10sei0otto if we're gonna talk CCP rips.

Comment

• devour
            • Dec 2014

wearing suspenders casually, yes or no?

Comment

• Monoral
              • Mar 2014

^

Gosh no...

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by devour View Post
                wearing suspenders casually, yes or no?
                I wear them both practically and casually..........

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Monoral View Post
                  ^

Gosh no...

Comment

• Monoral
                    • Mar 2014

I am all for it when you're wearing suit, especially dapper ones like those you were wearing Mr. Zamb. Casually however Im not quite sure. Like wearing suspenders with jeans for example.

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

I am all for it when you're wearing suit, especially dapper ones like those you were wearing Mr. Zamb. Casually however Im not quite sure. Like wearing suspenders with jeans for example.
                      not to promote my own work but for the sake of the discussion

I have been wearing these, and most of the time with the straps down
                      and i like them a lot:
                      Zam Barrett Dialogue is an Artisanal Apparel Accessories and Clothing Brand for Men and Women. The company is based on Brooklyn NEW YORK and all our apparel and accessories are made by a team of skilled artisans under the direct supervision of the designer.

Yes I wear my suspenders with suits
                      matter of fact I have a collection of about 30 set of vintage ones . Just make sure they are buttoned on and not clips, and whatever you do NEVER wear them while wearing a belt.

Comment

• devour
                        • Dec 2014

Well not jeans for sure! What i have in mine is actually a pair of cropped dress pants and a plain tee tucked in, with some guidis.

Comment

• devour
                          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                          not to promote my own work but for the sake of the discussion

I have been wearing these, and most of the time with the straps down
                          and i like them a lot:
                          Zam Barrett Dialogue is an Artisanal Apparel Accessories and Clothing Brand for Men and Women. The company is based on Brooklyn NEW YORK and all our apparel and accessories are made by a team of skilled artisans under the direct supervision of the designer.

Yes I wear my suspenders with suits
                          matter of fact I have a collection of about 30 set of vintage ones . Just make sure they are buttoned on and not clips, and whatever you do NEVER wear them while wearing a belt.
                          Good looks, i like how it is styled. That is somewhat similiar to what i am referring to as casual. Yes i have a strong dislike for clip ons suspenders, they are an eye sore to me, and definitely agree with the suspenders and belt, it makes no sense having both at once, and i have seen lots of people commit that horrendous mistake

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

Hence my original response of wearing them both practically and casually
                            I am all for having fun and experimenting with clothing and accessories.

For SS15 we did do a lot of suspender accessorized pieces. in the end only two made it to production.

to me the clip ons just look cheap, I think if you are going to wear them, wear good quality ones that look "authentic".......
                            Button on ones usually do

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

Casually however Im not quite sure. Like wearing suspenders with jeans for example.
                              Originally posted by zamb View Post
                              Just make sure they are buttoned on and not clips
                              the hell are u guys talkin about...

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Waiting for Rick to make suspenders.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎