X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by the breaks View Post
    I wanna order something from Zam but the 55 dollar shipping is stopping me. Anyone in Finland up for a group buy? :)
    LOL

send Angie a message at: tracking@zambarrett.com
    she may be able to work something out for you.....
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by unwashed View Post
      Lately I have the urge to buy the shoes I wanted when I was child, but never gotten. I see they're reiterating some of these shoes from the 90-ies.

Probably better to let them live with greatness in my mind, instead of buying a disappointment and shatter my memories.
      Funny,
      I still like the thinks I liked 20 years ago.....my personal style does not change and all I wear is variations of things I have been wearing for years

Comment

• DudleyGray
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by unwashed View Post
        Lately I have the urge to buy the shoes I wanted when I was child, but never gotten. I see they're reiterating some of these shoes from the 90-ies.

Probably better to let them live with greatness in my mind, instead of buying a disappointment and shatter my memories.
        I had that same urge, but I opted for not buying, because 10-year-old me also wanted to wear a Malcolm X cap. I also ended up with a track jacket that raver me would have sold an arm for but I don't wear or even look at it really.
        bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Arkady
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
          I had that same urge, but I opted for not buying, because 10-year-old me also wanted to wear a Malcolm X cap.
          Oh damn.

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

I had a Malcolm X hat when i was about 14, My father gave it to me.......at the time i had no idea who Malcolm X was.

In today's world I wouldn't wear any of these things..........
            the whole Idea of rebellion and all that stuff is dead in today's society

Comment

• the breaks
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by zamb View Post
              LOL

send Angie a message at: tracking@zambarrett.com
              she may be able to work something out for you.....
              You da real MVP
              Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Shucks
                • Aug 2010

I had a Malcolm X hat when i was about 14, My father gave it to me.......at the time i had no idea who Malcolm X was.

In today's world I wouldn't wear any of these things..........
                the whole Idea of rebellion and all that stuff is dead in today's society
                interesting theory. please elaborate.

Comment

• Arkady
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                  For me, a las the Malcolm X hat rebellion is a brand in and of itself. Revolution is a marketing ploy and capitalism becomes all-encompassing because it's so comfortable accommodating the illusion of alternatives.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                    • Jul 2013

On the one general hand, sure, a young Asian boy in the heartland wearing an X cap wasn't true to Malcolm X. But on the other hand, it really was, as a symbolic by-any-means-necessary middle finger to all the racist white people that the kid had to endure, because there was no Asian equivalent Malcolm Xiang espousing violence. Now that I think about it, that might have been my first "fashion statement."
                    bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

I look at guys like Jay Z, who made their money railing against mainstream society, and as soon as they became successful, they became these squeaky clean, non offensive "wholesome" figures......hanging out with Anna Wintour etc

No one today is saying FU to anything, but everyone wants to be "loved", "tolerated" and accepted.

As I understand it a true rebel is one who is willing to blaze a trail, to go his/her own way regardless of what the mainstream or the masses think. Rebels are not interested in acceptance by the mainstream, they have no interest in sitting down and having dialogue to be understood. The rebel is the man who says, I am who I am, you are either going to love me, revile me or leave me, but I am who I am.
                      To me this doesn't exist anymore, everyone wants to be "accepted' now.......and its just pathetic to think about.

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                        On the one general hand, sure, a young Asian boy in the heartland wearing an X cap wasn't true to Malcolm X. But on the other hand, it really was, as a symbolic by-any-means-necessary middle finger to all the racist white people that the kid had to endure, because there was no Asian equivalent Malcolm Xiang espousing violence. Now that I think about it, that might have been my first "fashion statement."

I do not know if it was because i grew up in Jamaica, we didn't have racism in the way it exist in America, we had Class-ism, yes skin color was involved in that but its lines were less strict than the race lines
                        Garvey is a cousin of mine, and two of my uncles were wailers musicians.......However the message of Bob and Garvey were not entirely "Black" Messages, but overthrowing systems of oppression in all its forms.
                        Rastafarianism was not a matter of being black, it was a matter of liberation for all oppressed people, and interestingly enough, some of the greatest supporters of Rastafarianism were Asians.......specifically the Japanese people

Comment

• Shucks
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                          For me, a las the Malcolm X hat rebellion is a brand in and of itself. Revolution is a marketing ploy and capitalism becomes all-encompassing because it's so comfortable accommodating the illusion of alternatives.
                          the potential for revolution arises eventually. if u wanna get marx about it it's even built into the nature of capitalism. but yes, agreeing with ur general sentiment about capitalism's extraordinary ability to subvert subversion. we can all thank post-modern marketing for that.

i'm more interested in the blanket statement "the whole Idea of rebellion and all that stuff is dead in today's society" and what zamb means by it. i see hardcore activism all over the place - so i'm not sure if i understand his point correctly.

edit: zamb beat me to it. will read and ponder.

Comment

• Defender
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2015

Someone is making money on all these "Black Lives Matter" t-shirts...

Comment

• unwashed
                              • Dec 2008

Funny,
                              I still like the thinks I liked 20 years ago.....my personal style does not change and all I wear is variations of things I have been wearing for years
                              I was and still am into sneakers and I'm still wearing most of my favorite silhouettes from when I was still a child and my parents let me pick out some of my own stuff. Except no expensive Nike's, instead I was allowed cheap knockoff brands. I wore mostly drapey and oversized stuff (no cool stuff in my size and I couldn't care for size), but a more colorful palette then BW. I remember layering a lot as well and destroying new stuff to give it a worn look. Back then people could also recognize me by my snapback, but I haven't worn those after my teens. I might still have my hooded bomber (RO explodersize big hood haha) with a huge Public Enemy patch on the back. Imagine a small skinny whiteboy with an oversized big bomber and on my back "Fear of a Black Planet" . I used to listed to PE a lot, but obviously didn't understand most of the lyrics since I was like 11/12.

The shoes I wanted back then:
                              Various colorways of this model
                              As a kid I would refer to them as Nike Air Agassi, since I didn't knew the model name but knew Agassi worn them haha.
                              Also Nike Air Command Force/Huarache's were models I dreamed of.
                              Grailed link

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎