X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unwashed
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by zamb View Post

As I understand it a true rebel is one who is willing to blaze a trail, to go his/her own way regardless of what the mainstream or the masses think. Rebels are not interested in acceptance by the mainstream, they have no interest in sitting down and having dialogue to be understood. The rebel is the man who says, I am who I am, you are either going to love me, revile me or leave me, but I am who I am.
    To me this doesn't exist anymore, everyone wants to be "accepted' now.......and its just pathetic to think about.
    Related to fashion, isn't this exactly what Rick Owens does and brands like HBA, KTZ etc.. Sure we may not like the latter two, but thats exactly my point. They just say FU to mainstream fashion and bring us this weird stuff :p
    Grailed link

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by unwashed View Post
      Related to fashion, isn't this exactly what Rick Owens does and brands like HBA, KTZ etc.. Sure we may not like the latter two, but thats exactly my point. They just say FU to mainstream fashion and bring us this weird stuff :p

I do not know if I want to put HBA into the same league as rick and KTZ

As I understand it KTZ is run by Marjan Pejoski. Yes I would agree marjan is a legit rebel, he is the man who once put Bjork in a swan dress.
      Rick yes, to an extent too......but Ruck and Majan are of an older generation if you will, they were born when true Rebels existed in fashion. I am not so sure much of these newer designers are rebels now. When was the last time we saw someone like McQueen?
      Someone with raw bravado and fire in their soul......

One needs to look at the state of fashion now and the last round of shows to see what is happeneing.

the great ones like Margiela, Gaultier, Ann and such are all retired and replaced with :design teams: or commercial types whose focus in on the bottom line.

Even here in NY, with the CFDA controlling everything and forcing everyone to conform its not so much fun anymore......
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Defender
        Banned
        • Jan 2015

One needs to look at the state of fashion now and the last round of shows to see what is happeneing.
        Amen to that. This was a dismal dismal dismal season for menswear. There was very little new ground broken, if any, and the stuff that was derivative was so blatant as to be knockoff level. Marilyn Monroe faces? Good god that's the opposite of rebellious. And how many shows are we going to have to watch with the top half of guy's faces painted or their hands dipped in ink?

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Defender View Post
          Amen to that. This was a dismal dismal dismal season for menswear. There was very little new ground broken, if any, and the stuff that was derivative was so blatant as to be knockoff level. Marilyn Monroe faces? Good god that's the opposite of rebellious. And how many shows are we going to have to watch with the top half of guy's faces painted or their hands dipped in ink?

I think Men's is stuck in a rut, with legit talents not moving forward and a bunch of copyists catching up with very little distinction between the two groups

last season I had some hope after seeing Thom Browne, Junya and others doing really good collections with a lot of tailoring, something most copyists cannot do well.

however Spring 2016 was disappointing, however it seems spring collections now are fillers and real ideas are kept for the Fall Season.

In saying all of this I am also condemning myself too, because as a designer realizing there is a problem i Should also be providing a solution..............I cannot say with a honest heart that I am
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• DudleyGray
            • Jul 2013

I don't think that sort of thing is a reasonable standard to hold oneself (or others) to. People like Rei, Rick, Helmut, whoever, are truly one in a million. Freaks of nature unicorns. We're lucky to even have them, and you can't have too many of them either, not without diminishing their voices.

Otherwise, at least rap has Kendrick, at least citizens have Baltimore.
            bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• gregor
              • Oct 2014

trying to untangle this iolom chained ring is killing me.

in other news; may be selling an iolom chained ring soon

Comment

• naturalalmonds
                • Sep 2013

As I understand it KTZ is run by Marjan Pejoski. Yes I would agree marjan is a legit rebel, he is the man who once put Bjork in a swan dress.
                That's a great little tidbit, and on the subject of rebels I think Bjork fits right in to your previous description. Never looking for mainstream acceptance, always just doing what's right for her and creating her art honestly.
                I want to do product, I am a product person, not just clothing but water bottle design - Kanye West

Comment

• Shucks
                  • Aug 2010

still crap though

Comment

• naturalalmonds
                    • Sep 2013

Them's fightin' words.
                    I want to do product, I am a product person, not just clothing but water bottle design - Kanye West

Comment

• ES3K
                      • Oct 2008

I think Men's is stuck in a rut, with legit talents not moving forward and a bunch of copyists catching up with very little distinction between the two groups

last season I had some hope after seeing Thom Browne, Junya and others doing really good collections with a lot of tailoring, something most copyists cannot do well.

(...)
                      Thom is talented, but stuck in the schizophrenia that everyone's expecting a totally OTT show -- but he's selling only tie bars, brogues and sweatpants with stripes. Same with Gamme Bleu.

IMHO, Haider with his nonchalant glamour stuff is here to rescue menswear. If anyone can change the slim silhouette in which menswear is stuck since the old Raf/Dior Homme era 10+ years ago, he's the one.

Comment

• shisou
                        • Sep 2014

the whole Idea of rebellion and all that stuff is dead in today's society
                        bit late to the discussion but thought this brilliant passage from DFW's Pale King was entirely relevant and worth quoting at length:

"Too much, you say ? Cowboy, paladin, hero ? Gentlemen, read your history. Yesterday's hero pushed back at bounds and frontiers - he penetrated, tamed, hewed, shaped, made, brought things into being. Yesterday's society's heroes generated facts.

"For this is what society is - an agglomeration of facts. In today's world, boundaries are fixed, and most significant facts have been generated. Gentlemen, the heroic frontier now lies in the ordering and deployment of those facts. Classification, organization, presentation. To put it another way, the pie has been made - the contest is now in the slicing."

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

That's why DFW was so great at dissecting postmodernity. A bit OT now, but whatever - anyone else excited to see the new film on him? Coming out in NY Friday.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• beyondthemeans
                            • Sep 2008

I will never buy any of those Rick bamboo viscose basics anymore.
                            Maybe it's just me, but they started pilling alot after not even wearing a handfull of times.

I know the price is relatively low compared to the other basic qualities, but this is just shit.

Comment

• ian+
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by beyondthemeans View Post
                              I will never buy any of those Rick bamboo viscose basics anymore.
                              Maybe it's just me, but they started pilling alot after not even wearing a handfull of times.

I know the price is relatively low compared to the other basic qualities, but this is just shit.
                              a warning was given a long time ago
                              ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ian+ View Post
                                a warning was given a long time ago
                                Yep. I'm glad I stayed away.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎