• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ian+ View Post
    Cloak is like this great album of death metal that came out during 1987, it was musically groundbreaking and you couldn't stop listening to it. After 18 years, the newer generation can't appreciate it or you can't listen to it anymore or both
    Precisely!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

The poor sales of Cloak on the 2nd hand market shows that people want the newest, latest sheeet no matter how the past thing is better.

I'd take Cloak garments any day over a lot of garbage I see people craving now.
      At least Plokhov and Geller knew how to make clothes......

Faust I wish that Cardigan could fit me,
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• En.
        • May 2015

Originally posted by ian+ View Post
        Cloak is like this great album of death metal that came out during 1987, it was musically groundbreaking and you couldn't stop listening to it. After 18 years, the newer generation can't appreciate it or you can't listen to it anymore or both
        I get more of a Faust(1971) vibe from Cloak.
        Originally posted by zamb View Post
        The poor sales of Cloak on the 2nd hand market shows that people want the newest, latest sheeet no matter how the past thing is better.

Unsurprisingly. The self-proclaimed fashionistas are mainly concerned with whatever brands are trending and adored. As you've already discussed in an earlier thread consumers are more interested in "renting" clothes rather than purchasing, so a short-lived brand like Cloak wouldn't be as appealing.

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

It's not only a matter of age or trends though, Carpe Diem et all for example have a pretty strong following after all these years and are regarded highly collectable.

Not really sure what differentiates Cloak from this to be honest, it's considered somewhat of a cult brand which could make it collectable years later, and it is, but to a pretty small extent.
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• DudleyGray
            • Jul 2013

If anything, I would think Cloak would be more valuable given Gellar's and Plokhov's independent success after Cloak. It's like the anti collab.
            bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• deadboy
              • Jul 2013

Does Carpe sell all that well in the secondary market though? I'm sure it's faring better than Cloak, based on the experiences shared so far, but I've seen pieces sit around at pretty reasonable prices for a while.

Comment

• NOHSAD
                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by deadboy View Post
                Does Carpe sell all that well in the secondary market though? I'm sure it's faring better than Cloak, based on the experiences shared so far, but I've seen pieces sit around at pretty reasonable prices for a while.
                I've thought about that a few times, especially when i visit Grailed. The site has a few CD items up with certain pieces being an absolute steal imo yet has sit for 1-2 months with no takers or until the seller has to re-post it.

Probably plays into the whole "New/trendy>Old/Classic" mentality that was stated a few post back.
                "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• Lohikaarme
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by deadboy View Post
                  Originally posted by zamb View Post

Faust I wish that Cardigan could fit me,
                  I think part of the problem is simply that both brands are, well, dead. Brands that don't release new stuff aren't exactly accessible. A lot of people want to try stuff on and know how it fits. Impossible with a dead brand... or reasonably impossible, at least.

CDiem has the extra special issue that it was super expensive so half of the really cool stuff is still like $1000 and not many people want to buy some coat from 2006 that's worn and still $1000 where everyone "but look at the seams!" Like, they're cool and I'm sure coveted by a ton of people (I've never seen a Sartoria piece on the second-hand market for instance) but it's kinda tough wanting to drop a new-coat's worth of money (and then some for a great number of people) on a decade-old, worn coat that's pretty much unGoogleable (Linea, Carpe Diem, Sartoria).

Comment

• the breaks
                    • Sep 2007

Cloak isn't as wearable and versatile as some other stuff.
                    Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• BSR
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
                      "L'maltieri" is pretty Googleable. And 1000 for a 9/10 CD coat is still a fair bargain.

If we bought clothes based on the quality of each piece rather than external factors (brand name, second hand status vs new) we'd have a very different market.

Funny that the leathers sell for less than the fabric coats these days. Pre-aged/creased/worn items seem to do worse on the secondary market, even when the buyer knows that that was the original condition.
                      fact is, cdiem/lm/linea etc shit does not sell well. typical case of is-ought problem.
                      pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                      Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

Arrrg made long arse post on my phone and now its all gone by an incoming phone call
                        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                          fact is, cdiem/lm/linea etc shit does not sell well. typical case of is-ought problem.
                          I brought it up becase I think its still something collectors look for even though the pieces are 10+ years old. It might not move the way it did some years ago, but compared to Cloak there is more of a market imo even though its even older. This is just in regards to the "everyone wants the latest shit" idea, which is largely true but there are exceptions.
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• delicious_not
                            • Dec 2012

lately i've been trying to understand what draws me to rick/drkshdw so much.

why all my ricks are black? why it's so chic? why i feel like i don't need any other designer? why would a straight guy think that drkshdw label (rick on high heels) is the most awesome thing you can sew inside some simple oversized sweatshirt?

here are some thoughts. in no particular order.

1) beacuse... rick owens.

i don't even mean the way this dude speaks - that's like music, but all the things he has to say about his work - all this really resonates with me.

2) this is like the most polite and subtle way to say "fuck you". i wear drop crotch shorts with high socks - fuck you. all my overpriced clothes are black - fuck you. there's a dude on heels on every piece of clothing you see on me - fuck you.

you can wear the most basic drkshdw stuff and still feel like the baddest dude around. and you won't get that by just buying some xxxl hoodie and shorts.

3) the whole "baller monk chilling in his drapes" look you can achieve with mainline garments is like some hidden dream i always had in my mind, and rick is the only one who can deliver it to me the way i want it: very chic, very elegant, even "luxury", yet so fucking wrong and twisted, i'd even use the word counterculture?

4) even though these clothes are long, i don't feel like i can't pull it off being 174cm. sure there's some exceptions - no slim coats that end below the knee, no super big footwear, and sleeves on jackets are always long and you have to think what to do with them (rick, please, they don't need to be THAT long)... but also, i think long top/drop crotch shorts combo looks even better on me than on some really high dudes. more special and rad. and some pieces that are short and look super weird on tall guys - they look perfect on me. this is very interesting really, shows how much depends just on proportions and your understanding of what you're doing.
                            Last edited by delicious_not; 08-12-2015, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• BSR
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                              I brought it up becase I think its still something collectors look for even though the pieces are 10+ years old. It might not move the way it did some years ago, but compared to Cloak there is more of a market imo even though its even older. This is just in regards to the "everyone wants the latest shit" idea, which is largely true but there are exceptions.
                              hmmm from what i see on ebay/grailed etc, dior homme slimane period sells way easier than carpe and of course cloak...
                              pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                              Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                                hmmm from what i see on ebay/grailed etc, dior homme slimane period sells way easier than carpe and of course cloak...
                                Good, I need to sell my one remaining Luster shirt, haha.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎