Thread: random fashion thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by beyondthemeans View Post
    Can someone explain me why brands/designers would like to work with Grailed?

First Robert Geller, now Boris Bidjan Saberi (even though it is just his spokesperson giving an interview).

It's beyond me why they would like to work with a platform that is (as discussed profoundly on this forum) driving down prices and value of garments. I just can not see the benefit in this, even if it would just be for exposure and promotion purposes, I can not imagine they get anything back from the lowballing 40 year old's that tend to be outnumbered on the website.
    Link?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Have we seen conclusive and meaningful evidence that the secondhand market has driven retail sales down for brands like BBS? It's certainly driving intra-market prices for used product down, but I wonder if that really drags down the bottom line given the luxury pricing of BBS and the small runs of each garment. I'm probably missing something, but conspicuous consumption seems to still be driving new purchase at 80%+ of full retail.

I haven't seen this effect on high-end audiophile gear, which has many similarities in audience taste and willingness to shell out for artisanal goods. In a sense this was the original secondhand online market nearly two decades before Grailed -- adjusted for inflation, prices on this type of equipment have not fallen and the market has significantly expanded.

Just as 11 primes new entrants to Boris' luxury tier by targeting fuccbois, Grailed can provide a similar point of ingress.

Subscription services are fascinating and dumbfounding to me. I genuinely want to know how a person of any degree of fastidiousness or discrimination in taste would allow someone to send them a box of clothes or cosmetics every month?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richard.../#1b9efce56678
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Well, apparently they are not all working: https://www.l2inc.com/daily-insights...nely-depressed

One I am subscribed to, albeit initially because it's run by a close friend of mine, is LOT http://www.lot2046.com

I think it's fascinating and feels mainly like an art project, everything is personalised and poetic. And BLACK. Very.

© 12/08/201722:37:06THE LAST HOUR, LLC (PERHAPS) FOR THE GOOD DEATH (CLEAR 63ºF)NEITHER
    NOR SAFARINOR CAMDENNOR
    NOR
    NOR +1 628 444 9791 (GOOD WORKS)
    PAYMENTS BY STRIPE
    (JEREMIAH 29:11) 51.5457,-0.1403THANKS BYE
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Subscription services are fascinating and dumbfounding to me. I genuinely want to know how a person of any degree of fastidiousness or discrimination in taste would allow someone to send them a box of clothes or cosmetics every month?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richard.../#1b9efce56678
    Cosmetics: you basically get a lot of testers, saving your time otherwise spent to research. Gifts/souvenirs/stationery/sweets: you always will have something fun and interesting. A lot of merchandise went to subscription basis, as very much popular Pusheen mascot. This idea feasts on people laziness and indecisiveness with a simultaneous desire to try something new, so instead of doing their own research and making a choice they just trust it to another person.

Laziness is definitely a factor, ie. when it comes to shaving products, etc. Hence the success of Cornerstone or DSC.
    Sampling in cosmetics is a huge business, it's the best way to get people to try and buy more. Add to that the fact that most of the cosmetics industry is basically smoke and mirrors and no one really knows what they should have and whether it actually helps (skincare), combined with low production costs... potential goldmine and paradox of choice.
    Clothes are for most people based on personal taste, even if everyone basically looks the same. Few subscribe to a uniform that you are happy to wear day in day out, but that's why I like LOT - it's like a little box of treasures, along with stuff you know you need, like underwear and socks.
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

I like the idea of LOT if viewed as an antinarcissism, which of course would also be a kind of narcissism. "Oh this? This is just what They sent me to wear/use/do. I don't particularly like it, but who cares?" as though to nullify that tedious side of social interaction or to at least make it something more honest. If only they included a carton of cigarettes and a bag of coffee beans.

If I'm correct, before the mass curated subscription box started picking up steam in different markets, it was mostly popular in the nerdy, collectible trinket, novelty toys, books etc.
    For lack of a better analogy, I can consider many of the subscription services like a grown up version of a pack of pokemon cards or a way less nostalgic wonderball. Only difference now is that the child is now in their late 20's and popping open a hand packed box o' socks.

On the other hand, the subscription box spreading out to other markets, like full blown wardrobes, seems like a telltale sign of market saturation, or consumer apathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Well if whatever BOF AKA LVMBOF has to say lately, they'll have us believe that millennials are just clamoring for huge conglomerates to just rent their clothing out to them instead of buying.

Endgame baby XD
    https://www.businessoffashion.com/ar...rmance-economy

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyKat View Post
    Well if whatever BOF AKA LVMBOF has to say lately, they'll have us believe that millennials are just clamoring for huge conglomerates to just rent their clothing out to them instead of buying.

Endgame baby XD
    https://www.businessoffashion.com/ar...rmance-economy
    I couldn't even get through this nonsense. She's also plugging her business right in the article? Jeez.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Well, that section was set in italics, so I assumed it was intended as a disclosure for transparency. But "...the unrealistic mantra of more conscious ownership: buy less and cherish forever." was pretty bullshit, a folie en masse of consumerism.

Actual quotes from a single Farfetch item description:

"instinctive appeals to retro silhouettes are executed with forward-thinking tailoring techniques to devise something entirely new"

"a twist on the classic"

"staple"

mind. blown.

and you might be wondering what kind of a sartorial masterpiece this applies to? a cotton t-shirt by Neil-fucking-Barrett.

(disclaimer, I clicked on it by accident as I was attempting to click to the next page)
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Which size did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by lowrey View Post
    Actual quotes from a single Farfetch item description:

"instinctive appeals to retro silhouettes are executed with forward-thinking tailoring techniques to devise something entirely new"

"a twist on the classic"

"staple"

mind. blown.

and you might be wondering what kind of a sartorial masterpiece this applies to? a cotton t-shirt by Neil-fucking-Barrett.

(disclaimer, I clicked on it by accident as I was attempting to click to the next page)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I'm thinking AI wrote most of this. Using the "I" loosely.

I seem to recall SZ members located in Houston. Hope they're managing OK.

there are quite a number in houston and other areas of texas
    hope everyone is well........
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Faust, Please ban the off-topic asshole above. WTF.

My original post was meant to be a general inquiry to fellow SZers about the possible cons of the garment archives. My hope for the archives was always to be a place where I could upload photos, particularly for the sake of people new to the various designers. Since I'm not quite at a place where I could selling or donate the anchor pieces to a place that will conserve it for the reference of design students, I felt taking photos for the moment might suffice.

Yet, through the years that I've been posting on SZ, I've noticed a striking trend, specifically, in the appearance of dealers on places like eBay and 1stdibs who are pricing me out of the forgotten seasons that I think -- unless I'm utterly delusional -- that I've revisited and supported (i.e. AW 98, SS 98, SS 95). The consequence is that I'm priced out of garments that these rascals can't even be bothered to understand. (To wit: this sorry attempt at placing a gorgeous piece properly on a dress form. I love how these mostly clueless people are meant to represent the upper echelon of dealers.)

Trust me, I'm a shitty capitalist; I never wanted to be anything but. However, a general question for everyone? As eBay, etsy, everyone random vintage dealer's wares are at this point near-homogenous and overpriced, have I inadvertently contributed to screwing myself over permanently with my lefty-idealist aims of educating those who don't have access by posting so many images of some percentage of my collection? Are there design students or self-educators who are benefitting from studying the archives? Am I deluded in believing that I've had any influence in what dealers have sought out and purchased for resale in recent years? (To my eye, the hive mind has been uncanny in this act of homogenization.)

Taking photos for the archive takes up a tremendous amount of time. I'm now weighing the extent of my future contributions there. Any thoughts appreciated.

MBD
    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

@Metro as a student myself, I've always appreciated your dedication to your wardrobe. I've been following you on Tumblr before I was a member on SZ (which is how I found out you were the same person, actually), and I have a lot of your photos saved onto my computer in my 'Fashion' folder, which I use to study mainly during class. I know that I'm not the only person who appreciates what you do here - but I do agree with your points above; especially with the inflation in 'vintage' prices.
    Originally Posted by Latoya Sizemore View Post

It would be great if one cane wear little bit loose T-shirts with some great prints like marijuana leaves, cannabis, weeds etc.
    Most of the youngsters will like to wear fashionable and chill clothing, which give a great looks to youngsters.

I think it's more likely that the general price increase of used CdG is due to increased visibility through the Play and Shirt lines, the Supreme collaboration, and the Met exhibition. So I think you're being delusional, if that is of any comfort. I'm sure people appreciate the archival effort, the archives here is one of the few things that this place offers that can't be found elsewhere. Come to think of it, it would be cool if the site had an archives section that was more easily navigated from a reference perspective, but then who knows how much it would get used.
    Last edited by DudleyGray; 09-01-2017 at 08:59 AM.