• Lohikaarme
    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by gregor View Post
    my god devoa sneakers are gross
    Which ones?

Comment

• Lohikaarme
      • Jul 2013

Anyone watch Masterchef (USA)? Few episodes back it looked like Tommy was wearing a Valentina Kova ring?

Comment

• gregor
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Lohikaarme View Post
        Which ones?
        most of them, honestly. browsing through some auctions and some very cinzia araia looking ones popped up.

these specifically, but looking at more, they don't seem to be that great. shame, as i like some other devoa footwear, and the world of avant-garde could use more nice sneakers.

Comment

• Lohikaarme
          • Jul 2013

most of them, honestly. browsing through some auctions and some very cinzia araia looking ones popped up.

these specifically, but looking at more, they don't seem to be that great. shame, as i like some other devoa footwear, and the world of avant-garde could use more nice sneakers.
          Fair. Can't tell if I like them or not. On first glance they look fairly unique but ugh... everyone wants to do their own play on Converse; it's annoying. Not really a huge fan of the latex sole thing but I'm interested in how the zipper works (and/or doesn't work).

Half the designers here seem to try to do sneakers like Geobaskets or some other super chunky monstrosity and the other half seems to try to go for a mutant Converse sneaker...

Comment

• gregor
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Lohikaarme View Post
            Fair. Can't tell if I like them or not. On first glance they look fairly unique but ugh... everyone wants to do their own play on Converse; it's annoying. Not really a huge fan of the latex sole thing but I'm interested in how the zipper works (and/or doesn't work).

Half the designers here seem to try to do sneakers like Geobaskets or some other super chunky monstrosity and the other half seems to try to go for a mutant Converse sneaker...
            it just seems so bland and uninteresting, as well as too loud. i associate devoa with nuanced design, which is what draws me to them. nothing about those is distinct to me, though i will concede they do seem interesting.

agreed; it's a cool idea, but less so when it's done by every single upscale brand ever, especially when very few of them seem to do it well.

i'm sure the construction is amazing, though, as a consolation.

Comment

• Lohikaarme
              • Jul 2013

it just seems so bland and uninteresting, as well as too loud. i associate devoa with nuanced design, which is what draws me to them. nothing about those is distinct to me, though i will concede they do seem interesting.

agreed; it's a cool idea, but less so when it's done by every single upscale brand ever, especially when very few of them seem to do it well.

i'm sure the construction is amazing, though, as a consolation.
              Yeah, I generally agree that Devoa does the nuanced design well. Lots of stuff that seems easy to wear (sadly, that's not always true)... and of course, there's always this jumpsuit

Last edited by Lohikaarme; 08-20-2015, 05:33 AM.

Comment

• delicious_not
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by voltbird View Post
                For me it is neither polite nor subtle, but rather than issuing some kind of "fuck you" directly it is a parody of the very impulse to say "fuck you" in the first place. I don't believe it is a joyless parody -- far from it, and I don't think Rick would ever participate in something that is devoid of joy -- but it is a caricatured rebelliousness, however elegantly it may be rendered. And one can recognize in this, as one may perhaps recognize in all his work, an exhaustive exploration of both deconstruction and introspection: the ability to pinpoint what it is within us that wants to say "fuck you" to the world (just to take the example you offered), and then to offer it up as a point of repeated analysis, season after season.

Now here's the amazing thing, in my interpretation, and it is what makes Rick my favorite designer: everything he does, he makes so incredibly funny, but he is never mocking us, nor encouraging us to mock ourselves. Nothing is cynical or malicious. We laugh to forgive ourselves, and amuse ourselves, because the joke's not on me or you or anyone in particular so much as it is... existential absurdity, maybe. Maybe the absurdity of draping the human form in the most devastatingly beautiful of fabrics and knits, but being sure to leave an obvious hatch to piss through. (Or maybe we all secretly wish we could get away with running around with no pants on! I could go on, but this is just the "random thoughts" thread.)
                i don't agree that this particular "fuck you" vibe is harmless - i always see rick garments as really agressive ones, with that strong "in your face" feel. i totally get what you're saying about rick being a chill and fun dude, though - and that's part of the charm i guess. everything around this brand seems so dark and moody, yet when this man starts to speak, it suddenly feels like home.

Comment

• Arkady
                  • Apr 2011

I'm trying to figure out what exactly isn't harmless about an aggressive GARMENT, though?

Comment

• delicious_not
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                    I'm trying to figure out what exactly isn't harmless about an aggressive GARMENT, though?
                    lol pardon my english, i'm trying my best

Comment

• galia
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                      ??

Comment

• Arkady
                        • Apr 2011

^ Guys come in here with SUITCASES full of stuff sometimes.

Comment

• voltbird
                          • Feb 2014

i don't agree that this particular "fuck you" vibe is harmless - i always see rick garments as really agressive ones, with that strong "in your face" feel. i totally get what you're saying about rick being a chill and fun dude, though - and that's part of the charm i guess. everything around this brand seems so dark and moody, yet when this man starts to speak, it suddenly feels like home.
                          I think you may be misinterpreting my statement. I don't find any "aggressiveness" in his garments to be an empty gesture, if that's what you mean. I just think that he is tracing down to the root of any given concept he has decided to explore -- "fuck you" rebelliousness or aggression being one of many -- and not only does he present this to us undiluted and relatively unadorned, but with remarkable kindness. I am not sure being a chill and fun dude is what compels him to do this (though maybe it helps), but he is beckoning us to look at the naked truth* of our own performativity, however uncomfortable that may be, and to be able to laugh at this but never at our own expense.

e.g., "Whenever I do provocation, I’m always doing something that I feel is based on warmth and kindness and love."

*SOMETIMES LITERALLY!

Comment

• DudleyGray
                            • Jul 2013

I don't agree with rebellion as being the Rick appeal. Rebellion is in behavior and demeanor. It can't be cosplayed, although costume might be a magic feather. I think it's just a weird, inexplicably amazing aesthetic that brings people together on account of its beautiful strangeness. I don't think one can accurately project much more meaning into it than "it looks like THAT and feels like THIS, yeah, I'm about that shit"
                            bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• newp
                              • Feb 2013

Is anyone sad about recent branding appeared on most m.a+ accessories (belts, rings, bracelets) a season ago as much as me?

Comment

• UnderDictation
                                • Jun 2014

Faun, Sphinx, Cyclops.

I wonder what's next. Centaur?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎