Thread: random fashion thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
    Faust, Please ban the off-topic asshole above. WTF.

My original post was meant to be a general inquiry to fellow SZers about the possible cons of the garment archives. My hope for the archives was always to be a place where I could upload photos, particularly for the sake of people new to the various designers. Since I'm not quite at a place where I could selling or donate the anchor pieces to a place that will conserve it for the reference of design students, I felt taking photos for the moment might suffice.

Yet, through the years that I've been posting on SZ, I've noticed a striking trend, specifically, in the appearance of dealers on places like eBay and 1stdibs who are pricing me out of the forgotten seasons that I think -- unless I'm utterly delusional -- that I've revisited and supported (i.e. AW 98, SS 98, SS 95). The consequence is that I'm priced out of garments that these rascals can't even be bothered to understand. (To wit: this sorry attempt at placing a gorgeous piece properly on a dress form. I love how these mostly clueless people are meant to represent the upper echelon of dealers.)

Trust me, I'm a shitty capitalist; I never wanted to be anything but. However, a general question for everyone? As eBay, etsy, everyone random vintage dealer's wares are at this point near-homogenous and overpriced, have I inadvertently contributed to screwing myself over permanently with my lefty-idealist aims of educating those who don't have access by posting so many images of some percentage of my collection? Are there design students or self-educators who are benefitting from studying the archives? Am I deluded in believing that I've had any influence in what dealers have sought out and purchased for resale in recent years? (To my eye, the hive mind has been uncanny in this act of homogenization.)

Taking photos for the archive takes up a tremendous amount of time. I'm now weighing the extent of my future contributions there. Any thoughts appreciated.

MBD
    Banned.

I don't think it's you per se, but a general trend in new generation catching up on the old stuff. In menswear it has to do with crappers flexing with vintage that's lit (did I get the lingo right?), which drives the rich fuccbois to collect Raf and Helmut. Not sure what the deal in womenswear is. It could be propensity for owning something truly unique.

I was at a Vestoj discussion last week and someone was saying how consumers are so much more intelligent now. And I said that I don't think so - they are still sheep, driven by same imitative and aspirational impulses, just sheep with way more information at their finger tips than before.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Code:
    Grails 135,368 Items
    Hype   112,466 Items
    Core   169,356 Items
    the amount of items currently available on Grailed
    ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

^Grailed, you are now the Nordstrom Rack of used clothes, way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I was at a Vestoj discussion last week and someone was saying how consumers are so much more intelligent now. And I said that I don't think so - they are still sheep, driven by same imitative and aspirational impulses, just sheep with way more information at their finger tips than before.
    People say that consumers are more informed now because of the internet, which in some sense I think is true, except that the big companies manipulate SEOs and metrics. What the consumers want to be informed about and the information that they get when they search for it, it's very filtered and cultivated. I can't remember the last time that I searched for something on Google and felt like the results were earnest. I think it's only going to get worse in that regard, as well.

Unrelated, I kind of wish By Walid had a stronger design sense. I had the pleasure of trying some of his stuff on, and the experience of the fabric is exceptional. I love the idea of wearing antique fabric not unlike the way I like the idea of drinking liquor that is older than me. It was almost enough to get me to pull the trigger, but it kind of fell flat when I considered the design and overall look. That and non-Rick is just a can of worms that I don't want to open.

Regarding the archives, making a section of this website (or a new archival one) accessible only to verified members or members above a certain number of posts might address the issue raised by MBD, if I understood it correctly.

Yes, I root for him, but I am afraid this path is a bit of a dead-end proposition. There is only so much amazing vintage fabric. I think he knows that and he has been introducing some non-vintage fabrics.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I just stumbled upon the latest Helmut Lang collection. It may very well be that I am getting old and thus are forever biased towards Mr. Lang, but that was truly dreadful.
    lavender menace

Quote Originally Posted by Verdandi View Post
    I just stumbled upon the latest Helmut Lang collection. It may very well be that I am getting old and thus are forever biased towards Mr. Lang, but that was truly dreadful.
    Words cannot describe its dread. Megaturbo dreadful, as Rick would say.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Actually debating on getting this sweater, but I can't un-see this (which is actually a plus for me).
    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
    -Paris Hilton

This jacket was sitting at my local Marshalls for $720CA. Is this a new thing?
    https://www.farfetch.com/ca/shopping...-11567064.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Lex1017 View Post
    This jacket was sitting at my local Marshalls for $720CA. Is this a new thing?
    https://www.farfetch.com/ca/shopping...-11567064.aspx
    Still one of my favorite jackets on a woman though. At 720 quite a steal.

Kering put out their numbers today, it's mind-boggling how much Gucci and Saint-Laurent are growing. It was strange not to see them disclose concrete figures for Balenciaga.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    It was strange not to see them disclose concrete figures for Balenciaga.
    Why do you think was that?
    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
    -Paris Hilton

Quote Originally Posted by Nickefuge View Post
    Why do you think was that?
    Well, usually because they are not so stellar? I mean, why else, why would you not brag? But it does seem that Balenciaga is doing well. I see that garbage all over the place.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I recently listed a Gucci item on Grailed, and it's like a different world from my previous Grailed experience in both buying and selling more obscure brands. My experience had been mainly pleasant with communicative and polite people who were obviously keenly interested in clothing with an artisanal slant. Gucci opened up a whole new world of people raised in barns with a bizarre sense of entitlement and empty bravado. One guy told me that the item must be fake because the price was too low. I doubled the price for him and asked him if he preferred the new price. It has been a non-stop shit show. I must have blocked five people this week after they went on tirades when I chose not to accept their laughable offers. I have accepted three offers and then the people making the offers disappeared. It's a new adventure every time I check my messages. Don't sell Gucci on Grailed.

Quote Originally Posted by byhand View Post
    I recently listed a Gucci item on Grailed, and it's like a different world from my previous Grailed experience in both buying and selling more obscure brands. My experience had been mainly pleasant with communicative and polite people who were obviously keenly interested in clothing with an artisanal slant. Gucci opened up a whole new world of people raised in barns with a bizarre sense of entitlement and empty bravado. One guy told me that the item must be fake because the price was too low. I doubled the price for him and asked him if he preferred the new price. It has been a non-stop shit show. I must have blocked five people this week after they went on tirades when I chose not to accept their laughable offers. I have accepted three offers and then the people making the offers disappeared. It's a new adventure every time I check my messages. Don't sell Gucci on Grailed.
    I second this. Selling pieces from SZ related designers has always been a pleasant experience for me, potential buyers actually respect the garment they are about to buy and the only questions I get is about sizing. On the contrary when trying to sell something else you encounter a different breed of users where flaking, low-balling and lack of respect is the normal. A total waste of time and effort.
    ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

One guy told me that the item must be fake because the price was too low. I doubled the price for him and asked him if he preferred the new price.
    Well played, sir – I LOL’d.
    -Paris Hilton

Quote Originally Posted by Nickefuge View Post
    Well played, sir – I LOL’d.
    Yeah, this is hilarious -- I'd do the same.

It's a new adventure every time I check my messages. Don't sell Gucci on Grailed.
    That's because you're not Grailing right!

1. Find your nearest Century 21 or similar discounter for rock bottom prices.
    2. Acquired discontinued styles in XXS or XXL(either Gothninja or hypebeast designers...Nothing in-between)
    3. Post on grailed at 500% markup minimum. Marking garment as "rare" and "one of a kind" is a plus.
    4. Bump for 3 months while lowering the price drastically before jacking it up once it gets enough hearts.
    5. ...
    6. Profit!

Quote Originally Posted by ian+ View Post
    I second this. Selling pieces from SZ related designers has always been a pleasant experience for me, potential buyers actually respect the garment they are about to buy and the only questions I get is about sizing. On the contrary when trying to sell something else you encounter a different breed of users where flaking, low-balling and lack of respect is the normal. A total waste of time and effort.
    I've never made an offer on Grailed, I've only ever bought at the asking price after contacting the seller. I guess I'm used to prices in our Classifieds before Grailed, but I find Grailed prices are usually reasonable for what I'm looking at (designers popular here like you said). For me, when I buy the selling price is the selling price. If it's outrageous for the piece I don't bother contacting the seller because they're either delusional or playing the "send offers" game which I've no time for.
    An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Quote Originally Posted by BBSCCP View Post
    I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Sounds pretty cool attitude but you are missing the fun of it. What about the piece you've been looking for ages? Got no time to have a piece you really love either? Sounds like I were to tell my buddies, you know, I'm a cool dude, girls are easy for me, I just ask them once, if they say yes then it's yes, or else I don't bother to waste time on any of them.