• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Cantara View Post
    Gregor I am specifically talking about the fashionistas I suppose. The kind of people who buy things for the hashtag and because something is "in". I also never stated I wouldn't wear PH now because everyone else is wearing it. That would be ridiculous. I was merely making an observation that I see so many 20 somethings now with the same PH fits running around NYC.
    Hmmm? I regularly hang out downtown and I would never make this statement. I wouldn't even make that statement about Rick Owens for all the claims of how ubiquitous his clothes have become. Do we live in parallel realities?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
      • Apr 2011

Yeah you're mad sir, my office is in SOHO and I've seen naught a jerkin.

Comment

• Law
        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Hmmm? I regularly hang out downtown and I would never make this statement. I wouldn't even make that statement about Rick Owens for all the claims of how ubiquitous his clothes have become. Do we live in parallel realities?
        I've been living in NY for 3 months now and I'm still yet to see anybody in anything really. The closest thing I've see to "fashion" is a sartorial GQ Thom Browne hipster with his umbrella and Wayfarers, 7000km in the wrong direction of Naples.

Comment

• Shucks
          • Aug 2010

Paul Harnden is the Rick Owens of the middle aged cultural elite.
          are u saying i'm not middle aged cultural elite?

Comment

• sb.from.vb
            • Jul 2014

I totally agree with this, I've been living in London for 4+ years, and I've probably seen 5 people wearing Geobaskets in all this time (excluding my gf). I've seen a girl in Dalston, last week, and I really noticed it (I've also seen Heston Blumenthal wearing Ramones once, but that's another story, more like a wtf moment).

PH? Once. CCP? Once. Boris? I'd say zero times.

For all the talk about this style / these clothes becoming ubiquitous, I haven't really seen it happening.

Then again, I don't work in fashion, and I might be hanging out in the wrong places, in the wrong city, all the time..

Comment

• stagename
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by sb.from.vb View Post

For all the talk about this style / these clothes becoming ubiquitous, I haven't really seen it happening.
              It really depends not only on the city, but where you go in the city. When I was visiting Shanghai, I could easily spot more than 5 people a day in full Rick outfits. Similarly, in Toronto, when I'm at the right spot, I can be sure that I'll see at least two persons either in Rick or Boris. Thinking about it, whenever I go out in Toronto I see somebody in Boris.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                are u saying i'm not middle aged cultural elite?
                Sorry
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• GucciAmen
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by stagename View Post
                  It really depends not only on the city, but where you go in the city. When I was visiting Shanghai, I could easily spot more than 5 people a day in full Rick outfits. Similarly, in Toronto, when I'm at the right spot, I can be sure that I'll see at least two persons either in Rick or Boris. Thinking about it, whenever I go out in Toronto I see somebody in Boris.
                  Queen St W? Wondering if you've seen me....

To be honest I haven't seen anyone in TO in anything I would recognize belonging to the SZ family of designers (save for one man I saw in Kuboraum's), albeit I only go for shows/shopping/food every couple of weeks.
                  Last edited by GucciAmen; 08-25-2015, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• deadboy
                    • Jul 2013

Meanwhile in Toronto, I saw a dude who wore Geos to the grocery store yesterday. People should have their SZ handles on nametags here.

Comment

• gregor
                      • Oct 2014

toronto has a pretty strong avant-garde community, actually, though that comes with it being a world city, and having boutiques like serpentine to cater to them. i know of at least a dozen or two people into the style, and know tons more exist.

there really is a community almost everywhere; even here in ottawa i know of a few people who appreciate and dress in a manner befitting of this forum, which i will say was a large shock upon my arrival.

Comment

• Tiranis
                        • Feb 2007

While I do think that Toronto has a strong avant-garde community, there are also only a handful of neighbourhoods where those people would normally hang out. That likely makes it look bigger than it actually is. I know I've seen the same people a number of times, some of them probably SZ members.

Originally posted by deadboy View Post
                        Meanwhile in Toronto, I saw a dude who wore Geos to the grocery store yesterday. People should have their SZ handles on nametags here.
                        I see a lot of hypebeasts wearing Geobaskets around here. Almost as bad as Vancouver.

Comment

• curiouscharles
                          • Jan 2008

i have definitely never witnessed a single person wearing rick owens in vancouver.

i once saw an asian dude in head to toe leather / drip-rubber ccp [on w. georgia], but that's it.

have only visited toronto, but definitely didn't see anyone wearing rick either [or anything visually appealing for that matter].

in my ~1 year in montreal, i saw one guy [on the regular] wearing rick owens & rick owens[ish] brands in & around st. viateur - but again, that's it.

even in my ~3 years in london, i hardly saw anyone wearing recognizable designer brands outside of central - and those i did see, i usually knew [ie - central london boutique staffers].

you just don't see this shit out in the wild that often, and if you do, you're either in paris for fashion week [and even then you see less than you'd expect], or you're magically aligned with the minority dark fashion contingent's city schedules.

-

Comment

• Tiranis
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by curiouscharles View Post
                            i have definitely never witnessed a single person wearing rick owens in vancouver.
                            Go visit SFU for an afternoon, hang around the BMWs in the parking lot. Or go to Aberdeen Centre.

Then again, I haven't been in 3 years so things might've changed.

Comment

• deadboy
                              • Jul 2013

Probably worth remembering that we're talking about cities with millions of people and garments that cost thousands of dollars here.

Comment

• curiouscharles
                                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Tiranis View Post
                                Go visit SFU for an afternoon, hang around the BMWs in the parking lot. Or go to Aberdeen Centre.

Then again, I haven't been in 3 years so things might've changed.
                                sfu = burnaby.

aberdeen = richmond.

i rest my case.

i only ever lived in kits [in ~2008-2010], and the west end [~2012], but haven't really been back to vancouver outside of visiting family in point grey since then.

my experience is limited to kits / downtown / west-end / gastown / chinatown / strathcona / main st - so it wouldn't surprise me if i missed out on the ritzier / flashier car-based crowds.

-

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎