X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MJRH
    • Nov 2006

Iris van Herpen

Since nobody has commented here on this designer yet, I'll start. This is the video linked to online at the SZ Magazine, for those who missed it:

See her website for more, you can download pdf's of all the designs. Some retail.

Her designs are some of the most compelling I've ever seen, and I like the use of horrific, fantastic, mythic and sci-fi elements throughout. When I saw the above image, I immediately thought of the moths in Perdido Street Station. Cringeworthy in the best way. The Medusa-body lady is also wonderfully grotesque. I thought at first Ms. van Houten reminded me a bit of Pugh, but then again she's not always playing with androgyny, because although grotesque, some of the figures are also unsettlingly appealing. She also reminds me a bit of Bruno Pieters because the designs are so geometrical, or perhaps they just appear that way because they're so anti-form-fitting. But comparisons are a dime a dozen, so I'll stop. She did intern with McQueen, though.

I'd like to hear others' thoughts. Let the pejorative, "costumey," be censored.

Oh, and one last, very important observation:

ain't no beauty queens in this locality
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

I think she is absolutely brilliant. The whole 3D printing method produces things that sewing cannot. Sure, it is extreme, but from a creativity perspective, it's pretty damn awesome.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Smythson85
      • Apr 2011

Wow. All her works look fantastic and stunning. If you didn't bring this up, I won't even take a notice of this designer. Thanks a lot.

But the first picture that you post. The clothes look a bit the same style as Junya Watanabe.

Comment

• eat me
        • May 2009

She's great. And I actually think that some pieces are perfectly wearable in the right environment, and the ones that are not make beautiful design objects.

Comment

• kuugaia
          • Feb 2010

Wow...seriously. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th outfits just gobsmacked me. Seriously impressive. I'm actually...speechless in how I can applaud the designer in her creativity...let's just leave it at: love it.

This is certainly wearable:

Comment

• Ochre
            • Sep 2009

This may very well be simply because it is not my taste but I don't like any of this work. To me it seems like nothing more than technical masturbation. Designers talking to designers, in a way. Of course everything is expertly made but craftsmanship is a means to an end, not an end in and of itself. The craft and execution doesn't lead me anywhere other than futuristic outfits that don't really seem to have a cohesive vision behind it other than make visually bombastic pieces all vying for attention.

Formally discordant, conceptually weak.

As always I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

Comment

• MJRH
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Ochre View Post
              Conceptually weak and visually bombastic I cannot argue against, if ya don't like it then ya don't like it. However--lacking cohesive vision, conceptually weak, these assertions I can try to change your mind on, if you'll let me?

Just take a look at the following pdfs (take a second to open), from two of her collections, Crystallization and Refinery Smoke. At the beginning of each there is an outline of her creative vision that explicate, respectively, those particular collections. You certainly cannot say they lack cohesive vision!

However this is a designer who also has a collection called "Escapism Couture." I'm not sure subtlety in design is what she's going for at all, and so I can't say it's not bombastic, but if it is it's in a way I love. I would call it instead shocking, but then maybe we're dressing the same thing in different clothes?

Ultimately, I suppose that if you don't think that for example this dress is nothing more than stunning, it's not for you.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, however.

Edit: Was reading up on 3d printing on Wikipedia, and it mentioned self-replicating machines, which gave me a crazy sorta Dickian thought: I would love to see self-replicating dress, or even just self-adjusting/transforming. Maybe the 50th generation of a-poc will look like this.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                Vegan Police
                • Sep 2011

She's released a book in cooperation with Groninger Museum.

Fashion designer Iris van Herpen is widely recognized as one of fashion’s most talented and forward-thinking creators who continuously pushes the boundaries of fashion design.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• kuugaia
                  • Feb 2010

Comment

• MJRH
                    • Nov 2006

^thanks for that. the link works for me but the picture doesn't. i reuploaded it for anyone else that can't see:

i think they're the same heels used for some of the collections, but i was too distracted by the dresses to really notice them.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

FW 12 Haute Couture. Sick.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
                        Vegan Police
                        • Sep 2011

^Detailed photos are up on her site.
                        Also, watch this in HD:

Seeing them in movement just makes it that much more amazing.
                        StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Crowzer
                          • Feb 2011

Woah... Crazy outifs, really gorgeous and incredible !
                          Very impressive.

Comment

• kuugaia
                            • Feb 2010

Cheers for that MJRH, the image worked when I first posted it...weird that it's not working now.

The detail shots of the collection are amazing. Rosenrot needs to get on these:

Comment

• mortalveneer
                              • Jan 2008

3D printed dresses at Paris Fashion Week… Stratasys Ltd. and Materialise, a Belgian-based pioneer in Additive Manufacturing software and solutions, today announced the unveiling of 3D printing coll…
                              I am not who you think I am

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎