Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chicago ... Anything to do?

Ha, interesting.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I know I'm bumping a pretty old thread, but didn't see the benefit of starting a new one because this one is full of good info.

I'm a new Chicago resident, moved up here with my wife back in the summer, but most of my time has just been work and "adjusting."
    I live out in the suburbs (Oak Park-area) and I'm trying to find more opportunities to explore the city itself.

We've had fun exploring different neighborhoods, but now I'm looking for some slightly more specific recommendations.

- Any high end thrift/consignment shops worth checking out? I lived in a place entirely devoid of fashion before moving here, so I'd love checking something like this out.

- Best cup of coffee? I'm a total coffee geek and have made my rounds based on convenience while I'm out (I typically brew at home), so I'd like to make a devoted trip based on recommendation.

- Best Indian food? My wife and I have yet to track down a place that matches our old favorite spot back home.

All that in mind, it'd be cool to meet some like-minded folks and chat clothes, music, gaming, etc. Thanks!

Strangely enough, I think the flagship Intelligentsia coffee shop is the worst hipster coffee I've had in my life. I guess I am not helping much...
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Strangely enough, I think the flagship Intelligentsia coffee shop is the worst hipster coffee I've had in my life. I guess I am not helping much...
    I actually quite agree. I found it okay at best in my experiences with it, even buying a few bags to see if I could make a better cup at home, and it pales in comparison to some of the other "craft coffees" I usually go for (Counter Culture, Blue Bottle, etc.)

I like the vibe of Ipsento. Their ipsento latte (coconut milk, cayenne) is quite unique. Espressos are house roasted, on the bright/sour side.

For pourovers, I'd say Metric Coffee is my favorite (but I don't really like any pourovers): available at a bunch of places but Caffe Streets is the main flagship. Their quantum espresso is also very good, though probably best as macchiato or cortado.

I end up going to Bow Truss the most due to convenience, and they have a different alternate espresso everyday. Usually less crowded and better coffee than Intelligentsia.
    And if you happen to be in Hyde Park, Plein Air Cafe has Metric Coffee and the overall atmosphere/coffee/food combo is my favorite out of all the cafes.

I don't know of any consignment shops, but I haven't really looked.

Cumin and Tandoor Char House have pretty good Indian food, but I don't know about "best".

I really like Bow Truss coffee, and visit my local establishment a few times a week. I also like Stumptown Coffee, served by Leghorn Cafe close to me in River North.

I can't recommend Indian food (but I've heard that Devon is the place to go), but Bavette in River North is absolutely incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by nomemorial View Post
    - Any high end thrift/consignment shops worth checking out? I lived in a place entirely devoid of fashion before moving here, so I'd love checking something like this out.

- Best cup of coffee? I'm a total coffee geek and have made my rounds based on convenience while I'm out (I typically brew at home), so I'd like to make a devoted trip based on recommendation.
    It's been a while I know, but I hope you've had a good time exploring the city! For coffee I'd also have to recommend Ipsento for their espresso. Asado is most convenient for me when I'm in the loop, and they haven't let me down so far.

Specifically high end consignment shops are a little more difficult to come by. For men it's damn near impossible to find cool stuff but I'd say designer resale of chicago, luxury garage sale, and my personal favorite, cynthia's consignents would all be worth checking out. At Cynthia's I've seen stuff from Thierry Mugler and Margiela for Hermes to Rick, Ann, and Yohji.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregor View Post
    it's terribly lit

come to my crib , ill start up the weber for brats and grilled onions, even grill the bread . watch the cubs dodgers game in 4k worth of clothes on the patio lol

Even in 4k worth of clothes...I'd say mustard is also risk worth taking! I'm honestly happy I get to watch them from afar and not living 3 blocks from wrigley field though lol
    Quote Originally Posted by gregor View Post
    it's terribly lit

Reviving this thread! Any recommendations for things to do (shops, food, drinks, art, etc.) in Chicago 2018?
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.
    Quote Originally Posted by stagename View Post
    How did the hat get there? Why does the hat like oreos? Is the hat catholic?