X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MikeN
      • Nov 2007

I'm beginning to think that Chicago is a better food city than NYC.

I'm on the plane back home now, but I had absolutely exceptional meals at Alinea, Blackbird (twice), Publican Quality Meats, and Au Cheval.

Shout outs to Stephen from Gallery Aesthete, Faust, MBD, and Jogu for waiting up before 6pm to eat with me.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Yo yo, shizzle ma nizzle. My Au Cheval burger was over-salted. I literally cringed when I saw a guy sticking his hand into the salt bowl and spraying it like some holy water waterfall over the patties. The has browns that came with it had no salt at all (was I supposed to layer the hash browns into the burger?) And my bloody mary was way too spicy, and the music was way too loud.

Blackbird was fantastic though and so was Longman and Eagle.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dji
          • Feb 2008

any stores in Chicago worth checking out besides Gallery Aesthete?

Comment

• pilgrim
            • Apr 2014

Semi-relevant but still interesting, this was posted today.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by dji View Post
              any stores in Chicago worth checking out besides Gallery Aesthete?
              I did a whole write up for rider, but perhaps it was in the general travel thread? Look it up. Basically, For men, no. For your girl Blake is a must and Ikram for wtf factor. Skip the department stores

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dji
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                I was going to write, I LOVE CHICAGO! but then I looked at the post above yours.

If you are willing to splurge on the hotel, I recommend The Public. It's on the Gold Coast, so it's next to the magnificent mile but in a green, charming neighborhood and out of the way of the hubbub while being walking distance to it. Their in-house restaurant, The Pump Room is fantastic. I have a feeling it's a Jean-Georgs restaurant, because their burger has identical ingredients to the one at ABC Kitchen in NYC (except that it's better), but for some reason I could not verify this on the internet.

And, yes, do absolutely take the boat tour but make sure it's the one given by Chicago Architectural foundation and not by one of the numerous Joey Guacamoles you find on the marine peer.

For views, there is the rooftop bar of the building whose name I forget - it's a black glass tower at the end of the magnificent mile closer to the Gold Coast.

Shopping (first!) - You should visit Gallery Aesthete regardless of the fact that it's a mens store just to see the interior and the clothes. It's a fantastic, well-curated store. You can pick up a mad et len candle there or an issue of StyleZeitgeist magazine or a Faliero Sarti scarf. Just tell them you are an SZ member - we are like family.

Ikram - obviously, because it's such a psychedelic experience. It's a garish red lacquer box with customer service stuck in the 90s Barneys mode. If you can put some philosophical distance between you and the shop, you will find it amusing. But they have some crazy shit in there if you are willing to deal with Century21 style of merchandizing.

Blake - fantastic shop with more Dries Van Noten than Barneys on Madison has, and many other good labels. Absolutely a must for you (and anyone else).

You can skip all of the department stores in Chicago - they are downright awful vanilla.

The bellow food recommendations assume that you have a car, because Chicago is actually a pain in the ass to get around on public transport:

Seafood - GT Fish & Oyster
                Meat - Longman & Eagle
                Meat - Au Cheval
                Coffee - Intelligentsia

And if you need an emergency lunch, believe it or not, the ramen counter at the Macy's food court!
                cheers E, I remember reading that post but just wanted to see if anything had opened in the meantime.

looking forward to spending the long weekend there but it's looking likely to be rained out..

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

my favorite was when I walked into the Barneys shop and asked if they carried Margiela and they had never heard of him/the line.
                  www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• mortalveneer
                    • Jan 2008

Robin Richman for ladies fashions.

Restaurants:
                    Lula
                    Avec
                    Publican
                    Nightwood

If you're in Hyde Park for some reason don't go anywhere other than A10 or the Promontory

Bars:
                    Aviary (The Office if they'll let you down there)
                    Maude's
                    Maria's Package Liquors

I'm drawing a blank cause I've got a brutal headache, but I think the bar to which Faust was referring is in the same hotel (Lincoln) as the restaurant Perennial Virant, which is worth a visit in its own right.
                    I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                      my favorite was when I walked into the Barneys shop and asked if they carried Margiela and they had never heard of him/the line.
                      I SO believe this, too.

Robin Richman is fine, but not worth the trek IMO. If you happen to be in the neighborhood, yes. But if you do go there, walk diagonally across and see my friend Deborah Colman's modern antiques shop, Pavillion. Very cool.
                      And then you might as well walk ten minutes and go into RSVP gallery for more WTF.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mortalveneer
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post

Robin Richman is fine, but not worth the trek IMO. If you happen to be in the neighborhood, yes.
                        This is fair, especially if there's a boutique in your city with ladies MA+, forme, guidi, etc. However, for Chicago, it was a good place to get sizing ideas on all this stuff for my gf.
                        I am not who you think I am

Comment

• dji
                          • Feb 2008

Any good light(er) options in Chicago? Did want to try Au Cheval but Girl and the Goat kinda wiped us out on animal fat for the long weekend.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by dji View Post
                            Any good light(er) options in Chicago? Did want to try Au Cheval but Girl and the Goat kinda wiped us out on animal fat for the long weekend.
                            Nope. It's the meatpacking capital of the US - eat it!!!
                            I would imagine you can get lighter fair at GT Fish and Oyster.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• swrecked
                              • Sep 2011

Faust is right about GT. Its a great place. You could also try Joe's seafood for their crab legs.

Comment

• dji
                                • Feb 2008

No doubt of that E.

Did consider GT but they're not taking Open Table reservations so I suspect they may be closed for the holiday. Would even consider vegan but it doesn't seem to be the done thing around here.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎