Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Kill me with ⤜Leather

Quote Originally Posted by interest1 View Post
    Really? I've had moths go after woolens, but never an issue with any of my leather. I'm assuming the designer treats/seals her work somehow, especially the flooring, but the website doesn't go into depth about her process.

I really love the elevator door (first photo).
    i'm fortunate enough to never have had any moth problems [simultaneously knocking on all wooden surfaces as i write this], but in my prevention research learned that leathers are among their favorite to eat.

they're essentially carnivores, and eat the flesh of any dead animal product - with shearlings being a particularly tempting target for them [animal fur AND skin? SCORE!]

mind you, the larva apparently prefer wriggling around among folded piles of clothing in dark areas - hence the presumption that they prefer woolens [as most people leave these folded in a pile in a dark corner of their closet for an entire season].

clothes that stay on hangers [ie - leather jackets], and that are worn frequently shouldn't ever have a moth problem.

/aside over.

i personally love the leather-belt rug concept best, and find it interesting how the shape & assembly can mirror / echo brick [when used on vertical surfaces], and hardwood flooring [when used on horizontal surfaces / the floor].

-

I'm lucky, too, in that I've had next to nothing ruined by moth larvae with the exception of one Ann sweater (at least they had good taste). Had no idea leather could be a target. I'll be stocking up on cedar blocks this week, thank you very much.

I had a friend in Brooklyn whose entire closet became infested with moths. Thousands of dollars in mostly Dries full of holes. She nearly went out of her mind. Another reason never to live in Brooklyn.

Back to the leather belting: I would love a partial interior wall, floor to ceiling, wrapped in various black. All other walls left white. I think that would be quite a statement.
    sain't

Quote Originally Posted by interest1 View Post
    I had a friend in Brooklyn whose entire closet became infested with moths. Thousands of dollars in mostly Dries full of holes. She nearly went out of her mind. Another reason never to live in Brooklyn.

How do you go on after something like that? I think that's the type of situation where I would break whatever was closest to me in a raging inferno of anguish. I hope your friend is still able to participate in fashion in any way after an episode like that...

Quote Originally Posted by schemedream View Post

How do you go on after something like that? I think that's the type of situation where I would break whatever was closest to me in a raging inferno of anguish. I hope your friend is still able to participate in fashion in any way after an episode like that...
    She deserved it. Moth karma. People who allow their insecurities to overshadow their humanity are best left out of one's inner circle, because they don't exactly have your best interests at heart. Notice I'd said had a friend, not have. Besides, she's the only person who could be in head-to-toe Dries and still manage to look homeless. And that's before the moth holes! If that isn't the damnedest thing..
    sain't

We miss pictures

Default feathers + leathers

Theyskens, SS1999
    sain't

Contrary to popular belief, cedar is not an effective deterrent for moths... One should dry clean all woolens/wovens/cashmere prior to spring and summer storage as moths are highly attracted to the dirt and oils from human skin... and the flakes of human skin in particular. Yes, gross, but no matter how clean, we all shed and degrease. Also, I was not aware of moth and larvae's leather fetish... Thought I would have learned that lesson by now, considering I rarely, if never, clean my leathers.

That is a very nice Rick jacket. A Mountain Shearling if I'm not mistaken.

Default zen dog

Enough intriguing things have piled up on this thread I figured I might as well lose my s-z forum cherry here as anywhere else.

First, the Alia alligator hide pieces in the past several pages were amazing. The seemingly unaltered draped hides feel like an idea that has been in the air and finally realized. I love how it looks exceedingly modern and primal- as if a shaman or hunter were draped for a ritual or hunt.

I'm still trying to decide on the repurposed belts- reusing is good but I can't swat the faint whiff of hippie crafts away. The flooring works a bit better- something about distance and not having belts in your face.

Finally, another weigh in on the moth issue. It makes sense that moths could eat the shearling in leather- after all it is wool. I would like to suggest that the larvae of something else- beetles- also eats animal protein- feathers, a dried beetle (it was on my shelf intentionally), etc. A sticky trap with a chemical clothes-moth lure should catch moths during their active cycle. A few days in the freezer for clothing, not leather should kill the larvae. I''m about ready to use my freezer as a closet for some of my favorites.
    The Laundress makes good looking, rugged, supposedly moth proof garment bags. I've purchased two recently and am hoping for the best but I think any "food" may be too big a draw for almost any measure to work.

we haven't lost interest, here, have we?

via errthng

I think this would work well with a long neck & a high bun.

sain't

Masha Ma, FW14

small things matter
    sain't

Hussein Chalayan SS1996, Nothing Interscope
    sain't

sain't

Grandma
    had a secret.

sain't

Helmut une, deux, Marlene, Ann, Roman leather briefs

Quote Originally Posted by 1994 View Post

Helmut une, deux, Marlene, Ann, Roman leather briefs

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something underwear.
    That about covers all the bases!

I love seeing what people contribute to this thread. Let's keep it coming!
    sain't

leather over cloth
    sain't