Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TEA! (because coffee is so western european)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cowsareforeating
    • Jan 2011

TEA! (because coffee is so western european)

Figured because you all here are such fine connoisseurs that a bunch of you must drink tea as well as/instead of coffee!

I personally drink my tea a few ways -- out of an infuser by the mug -- or out of a gaiwan -- or if im lazy and going somewhere, "grandpa style", where its literally leaves + thermos + water.

Wondering which tea stores are worth looking at around the world with the focus being on oolongs, pu-erhs, and whites being my favorites in that order?

I haven' had the opportunity to try much, just your meager san francisco offerings and a few here and there.

So. What do you all do?
  • Carcass
    • May 2010

There are a few tea drinkers on here : ). I admit I haven't explored too much, but I love puer and oolong. I forgot who had a lot of experience on these two, but please, share some more!

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

I'm dull with tea - black breakfast. Best I've had is orange pekoe ceylan from Mariage Freres...even if it is stupid expensive.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• cowsareforeating
        • Jan 2011

^ you know its not teabags tbhat are inherently bag -- its the fact that once people started using teabags as convenience, manufacturers found it easy to put shit tea leaves and hide it.

thus the slippery slope

mariage freres ain't bad but ill mail you some unscented black tea -- ceylons are great as are assams depending if you like malty sweet flavors or not.

black teas run rather orthodox according to region although I have a soft spot for darjeelings. tea is stupid expensive period

but then so is wine.

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

I put milk & sugar in it...is that sacrilege? I know it is for darjeelings because of the mild flavour.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Cows, you are in luck - girlfriend is a tea fanatic and I will share some of her recommendations with you. But she says that cows are not for eating!
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Patroklus
              Banned
              • Feb 2011

I get my East Asian and Indian teas from some local Chinese and Indian markets. I don't recall the product names, but they have good tea for very little money. Getting really good western teas is kind of difficult, because all of the loose leaf stuff I find is just cheap teabag fodder and it doesn't seem to have the same community in America as fine Asian teas.
              I found a vegan store down the street that sells blossoming tea.

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                I put milk & sugar in it...is that sacrilege? I know it is for darjeelings because of the mild flavour.
                I wouldn't say so... darjeelings are BOLD my friend

Watch this space... at warriors game will update later

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by cowsareforeating View Post
                  I wouldn't say so... darjeelings are BOLD my friend

Watch this space... at warriors game will update later
                  Is it? I tried some ad didn't like, but because I was told not to put milk in to dilute the mild flavour

Comment

• Ahimsa
                    Vegan Police
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cowsareforeating View Post

Wondering which tea stores are worth looking at around the world with the focus being on oolongs, pu-erhs, and whites being my favorites in that order?
                    I mentioned earlier in the food thread that I recommend:
                    T
                    The Art of Tea
                    Bellocq
                    Tay Tea

If you aren't too keen on some of the more outlandish prices, Canada's David's Tea is alright.
                    I haven't really dealt with that chain "Teavana" but I assume it's similar to David's...I haven't really tried much from them but they turn me off because of their size and gimmick. That, and I am also a strong proponent of organic tea.

I'll post more as I think of them...
                    Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
                    I found a vegan store down the street that sells blossoming tea.
                    That's why I hold that vegan restaurants are the best places(generally) to get a good cup of tea. Because vegan wine is much less abundant, as well as there being a fair amount of straight edge vegans (who sometimes also shun coffee), tea really took off as the connoisseur drink.
                    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Skye X
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
                      I mentioned earlier in the food thread that I recommend:
                      T
                      The Art of Tea
                      Bellocq
                      Tay Tea

If you aren't too keen on some of the more outlandish prices, Canada's David's Tea is alright.
                      I haven't really dealt with that chain "Teavana" but I assume it's similar to David's...I haven't really tried much from them but they turn me off because of their size and gimmick. That, and I am also a strong proponent of organic tea.

I'll post more as I think of them...

That's why I hold that vegan restaurants are the best places(generally) to get a good cup of tea. Because vegan wine is much less abundant, as well as there being a fair amount of straight edge vegans (who sometimes also shun coffee), tea really took off as the connoisseur drink.
                      xTEAx

In all seriousness, I love tea. I'm not against coffee, but I drink it rarely, whereas I have a cup (or 5) of tea (or a tisane) almost every day.

In SF, my favorite place is Om Shan Tea, a very small place in SoMa with resident teamasters who are very knowledgeable about their offerings, and a tea bar where you can pay a flat fee to drink tea as long as you like, but it is all chosen and prepared right there by that day's teamaster. I also like Samovar.

My favorite tea house in Santa Cruz (where I grew up, and my parents still reside) is now gone, alas, but Chaikhana is still there, and remains my favorite place to buy tea. I sometimes obtain it from Rainbow (where I shop often anyway) and the above-mentioned tea houses as well, as they're much closer.

Comment

• munch
                        • Aug 2008

cool. I love tea.
                        black and white ones are probably my favourites but I really don't mind a nice genmaicha or sencha or really any green tea.
                        herbal "teas" are awesome too.
                        you guys got any recommendations for something with coconut? chili? I dunno really. I like tart teas too.

guessing I really can't do anything fancy in one of these ? no super triple mega infusions?

Comment

• ian+
                          • Dec 2011

I would suggest Tea House in London also, great place for tea.
                          ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• shdws
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ian+ View Post
                            I would suggest Tea House in London also, great place for tea.
                            chilled green tea on hot days, win
                            Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

Comment

• MoFiya
                              • Sep 2007

I love to drink tea.
                              Stopped drinking coffee in the morning because after several years, I noticed that I just don't like it anymore and it is nothing more than a routine.
                              Now, I drink matcha tea in the morning and love it (used to drink it before, too, but not as frequently). Just ordered a new package because I feel I still cannot really taste the differences between the qualitys (that being said, I am not drinking a cooking matcha or sth).

Over the day, mostly herbal tea so nothing as delicate. But still, there are lots of differences between the different manufacturares and nothing is as bad as the tea you can get at the supermarket (artifical flavours, blends you cannot even think of). I prefer loose organic tea, with the herbal leafs being still intact before you scald them.
                              I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                              But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍