• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Chocolate

Since we've got the culture section binge going, might as well....
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • thehouseofdis
    • Jan 2010

I'm terrible at remembering names of chocolate. As far as candy and sweets are concerned it is one of the only ones I enjoy. However, I'm pretty easy to please: any chocolate over 70% that is solid (no creamy centers).

The chocolate bars they sell at Stumptown are really great and I like a lot of the Vosges dark chocolates. For cheaper chocolate I like Chocolove, especially the chocolate & ginger. I've had some amazing chocolate from Julius Meinl in Vienna but I don't remember the brands; some were Austrian and others were Belgian.

I also have to mention Fran's (Seattle) chocolate filled and dipped figs. They are mind-blowing.
    THE HOUSE OF DIS
    embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• Ahimsa
      Vegan Police
      • Sep 2011

I like your thinking Faust.

I'm going to quickly vent about my (current) disappointment with Green&Black. Everyone should know them for being the mainstream organic chocolate. My disappointment comes with how they were recently taken over by Kraft. The obvious effect, the degradation of their chocolate. All new chocolates made by them now contain dairy. Their 72% baking chocolate? Now has dairy. I'm not just upset with the dairy because I'm vegan, but because it is filler and that Kraft is showing how big industry ruins quality with its own agenda.

If you want a real chocolate bar, go for Mast Brothers. Direct bean to bar artisan chocolate.
      The next closest thing I know of (in NY) is Glorious Chocolate from Sharon Springs. Her stuff has to be kept in proper humidity though or it will turn somewhat into a chalky bar. The price one must pay for handmade goodness.
      StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Halber Mensch
        • Oct 2011

I already love this thread.
        Anyway, there seem to be many chocolate aficionados in this place who are probably more experienced than me, so can anybody recommend some nice 99% to 100% chocolates. I recently bought a bar of Domori's Il 100% and I'm loving it. I also know Porcelana by the same brand and it's exciting to get to know the taste of the pure cocoa bean.

Comment

• Emel
          • Oct 2010

This thread could be beautiful.

Recently got my hands on some oialla chocolate.
          First tasted it at a chocolate-festival and had been trying to acquire some ever since.
          It's made with wild cocoa beans from the jungle in bolivia. They are then fermented by hanging (no soy lecithine), dried and transported out of the jungle to be roasted and mixed with cane sugar.

Taste amazing.

During the presentation we were served some of the raw beans and even they taste like chocolate, which was pretty impressive
          It's the suede/denim secret police; they've come to your house for your long haired niece

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I have yet to find anything that beats Pierre Marcolini's chocolate. Every time I go to Belgium or Paris, it's a reason enough to get giddy.

'Dis, I think you bought Mast Brothers at Stumptown, the one Ahimsa is referring to. A $10 of chocolate seems a bit out of whack, but who am I to talk pricing on SZ

You know, Ahimsa, I had no idea about G&B, but it makes total sense now - I've tried their chocolate recently and was surprised by how bad it was.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cowsareforeating
              • Jan 2011

^is there such thing as good big business? :[

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Chipotle !!!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Raw
                  • Oct 2009

This is my favourite chocolate:

The Dark Chocolate and Orange & Gubinge Dark Chocolate are my top 2 flavours.
                  Texture isn't for everyone though I guess because it's raw and doesn't have that snap that fine chocolate has.
                  Sweetened with evaporated coconut nectar which is nice.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                    Vegan Police
                    • Sep 2011

^Heh, Raw, raw chocolate...

Raw chocolate wise, I'm familiar with the brands Fearless and Organic Nectars. Organic Nectars makes a raw cashew based "milk" chocolate, and Fearless has a bar with chia seeds to give you that "crunch" if desired.

I love using coconut sugar and nectar in baking so I might have to give them a try.

Comment

• Raw
                      • Oct 2009

That Fearless brand looks pretty good, would love to try the Super Seeds and Exploding Coconuts.

Comment

• jogu
                        • Jun 2009

ohhh hell yes chocolate , my fave is this choc / bacon pig . fuckin love that one

mite sound gross but it tastes good as all hell

Comment

• Kirky
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2010

favorites would definately be desserts from "Sweet Revenge" in Van

Sweet Revenge serves old fashioned, home made desserts, pies and pastry just like grandma used to bake.

Love it's signature "sweet revenge chocolate cake", "Smooth Operator", "White chocolate cheesecake"

A really really small restaurant only has few tables available

Love to have the desserts with Vidal Ice wine but it's ridiculously pricey

18cad for only like 120ml...four sips and 18bucks are gone

Gotta try it out if you guys have any chance to visit vancouver

Comment

• thinbuddha
                            • Jul 2011

I used to work at a Dutch chocolate store in production and then on the sales floor. The place is call Stam Chocolaterie (http://www.stamchocolate.com/). They have a few locations in the United States and a few in Holland. Divine.

My favorite place in NY atm is Vosges (http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/).

Anyone have any recs in the city I should check out?

Comment

• Ahimsa
                              Vegan Police
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by thinbuddha View Post

Anyone have any recs in the city I should check out?
                              I'm a big fan of Cocoa V. I also think it would be the ideal place to take a date, so take what you will from that in terms of a recommendation.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎