X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kirie
    • Dec 2011

Makeup and Skincare

since make-up can be such an essential part of your aesthetic, and one may argue that your skin is your most valuable beauty asset...

what are your favourite:

cleansing lines? beauty routines?

foundations etc?

mascara/liner/shadow etc?

products?

and since it's January,
    favourite runway or editorial makeup trend of 2011

I've been using spectro jel moisturiser and cleanser for ages, but unfortunately my make-up ability ends at mascara. I LOVE the Rimmell Lash Accelerator mascara however, I've been using it for 3 months and my lashes are honestly twice the length they used to be.
  • Rosenrot
    • Aug 2010

One fine day when I was eighteen, I ran out of eyeliner and began using my mascara as subsitute. For a couple of weeks.

It's been many years since the incident but I'm still learning about make up. One thing's for sure, I love bold lip colours. If anyone's looking for a true red lipstick I can vouch for M.A.C's Russian Red.
    Originally posted by Patroklus
    Better too adventurous than not enough
    everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• genevieveryoko
      • Sep 2009

the only make-up i currently use is jane iredale pure pressed mineral powder and i highly recommend it. it doesn't clog your pores, and looks good all day.
      http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• rider
        eyes of the world
        • Jun 2009

my modus operandi is fairly simple. a good moisturizer (elemis marine) over retin-a (best wrinkle prevention i know), light foundation (shu uemura), mascara (chantecaille), burts bees on lips and thats it. use as little soap as possible since it is very drying so i prefer a wipe off cleanser instead. i hate sleeping with makeup on, its vile in the morning.

never was a fan of lipstick, although i do love all the colors. it never stays on so whats the point?

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by rider View Post
          my modus operandi is fairly simple. a good moisturizer (elemis marine) over retin-a (best wrinkle prevention i know), light foundation (shu uemura), mascara (chantecaille), burts bees on lips and thats it. use as little soap as possible since it is very drying so i prefer a wipe off cleanser instead. i hate sleeping with makeup on, its vile in the morning.

never was a fan of lipstick, although i do love all the colors. it never stays on so whats the point?
          Please don't use your retin-a during the day! I also see you're not wearing a sunscreen with it, which makes the situation worse. Retin-a is deactivated by UV rays, unless you're putting a fairly heavy physical sunscreen over it...which is why it's easier to just apply it before you go to bed.

I hope that didn't sound preachy...
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• rider
            eyes of the world
            • Jun 2009

dane, not preachy at all...i wholeheartedly appreciate your insight, and have spoken to my dermatologist about the unconventional method i use. we determined that since i have been using this routine for years and due to the fact that my moisturizer has a decent sunscreen in it, its an acceptable application. ive tried the before bed routine but prefer to use it in the AM since its ingrained as part of my morning prep.

as an aside, everyone should use a moisturizer with sunscreen, its such an easy preventative with undeniable benefits.

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

Ah, understood...as long as the doctor agrees. :)

People take thei sunscreen for granted...there's basically no use in wastin your money on any ski care if you're not using it.
              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Johngd
                • Feb 2009

Using cleanser, moisturizer and peeling from Dermalogica. to be honest I can never feel or see any difference between "cheap" and expensive products

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Johngd View Post
                  Using cleanser, moisturizer and peeling from Dermalogica. to be honest I can never feel or see any difference between "cheap" and expensive products
                  Because there often isn't any.

Comment

• Dane
                    HAMMERTIME
                    • Feb 2011

I think if people would pay attention to the science, companies wouldn't get away with all the ridiculous claims they make.

The fact is, tretinoin (Retin-A, etc.) is the only proven method of topically reducing wrinkles. However, other ingredients are required for stabilization, as well as other facets of healthy skin, like exfoliation, replacing what's lost on the skin during cleansing, combatants of free radical damage, and things that generally improve cell-structure and normality.

So, what one should ideally look for is:
                    -a gentle cleanser
                    -a gentle exfoliant (ideally an alpha or beta hydroxy acid with the proper pH level)
                    -a daytime moisturizer or toner that includes antioxidants, cell-level ingredients like niacinamide, etc.;
                    -a sunscreen (if not contained in your moisturizer) that has stable uva and uvb protection; and
                    -a retinoid inclusive product for overnight use.

Those things don't have to be expensive. Companies like Neutrogena and Olay have tons of products that meet these criteria and can be had for not a lot of money.

What irks me are the idiots that rant on about "all natural" ingredients...things like lavender and peppermint are far too common in skincare and only do harm. Just because something is natural, doesn't mean it's good or appropriate. Poison Ivy is natural...I don't want it on my face.

/rant

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

That's the issue though, many natural ingredients have been fully proven as being harmful, yet people still insist on using them!

Anyway, I try not to get too worked up over it...it's not my skin, so I really don't care what others are doing. I just hate seeing people pay hand & foot for something that's only doing them harm.

FWIW, Retin-A et al. have been on the market for decades now, so even longterm studies have been thoroughly conducted.

Comment

This is a good topic, make-up is a familiar territory for me.

Sooo...

I use Bodyshop's Aloe Gentle Facial Wash and toner (the green bottles) for cleansing my face, Neutrogena scrub once a month, Oil of Olay Double Action day creme under make-up and pure Argan oil around my eyes and neck during dry seasons (I have an atopic skin and this oil is the only thing that works during winter time, it's also great for the whole face and areas that might get itchy/dry).

My make-up consists of Everyday Minerals mineral make-up (different products, such as the base foundation and concealers), Dermablend concealer for dark circles around the eyes, Rimmel Exaggerate Waterproof Eye Definer eyeliner, Max Factor Falselash Effect mascara, Elizabeth Arden, MAC and Everyday Minerals eyeshadows (usually brown/grey palette), Make Up Store Tri Brow Color eyebrow kit for eyebrows, Everyday Minerals blush for the cheeks, and YSL Pure Rouge Shine or MAC lipstick (red or dark red usually) for the lips. On normal days I just wear lip balm.

Reading this back I realized that I use a ton of products on my face hahhaa..but I manage to make a really natural and light look with them. I think mineral make-up is truly great, I would not switch away from it. I know that there is a mix of market products and some high end ones but I after trial and error, I swear on these products, cheap or not.

Basically, when I go out I add more color to my eyes and lips and yeah, I wear make-up pretty much every single day. Without it I feel somehow "naked". People tell me I would not need it but I also enjoy doing it, so why not. I tend to think that since I don't have much time to exercise my artistic skills, I paint my face each morning instead.

Comment

• galia
                          • Jun 2009

I use everyday minerals too, but I'm so pale I use the palest concealer powder as foundation. I use whatever mascara I can get for free at work or YSL faux-cils if I run out and can't get anything. Now I'm using the last of a disspointing helena rubinstein mascara. Afer YSL my favourite is probably guerlain, the one with mascara one one end and a sort of laquer soft brush on the other. If I want a more dramatic effect, I'll add some guerlain khol stick and some chanel rouge noir lipstick, but that's very rare.
                          sometimes I'll go crazy with green and pinks on my eyes and end up looking like a dying person, but that's only for going out at night.

I wash my face at night by rubbing it first with olive oil to detach all the impurities, then I wash it with marseille or alep soap and then I use some floral water (rose or bleuet depending on the season) as lotion. It's the only way I feel the makeup and pollution have been properly removed from my skin.
                          I the morning, I wash it with the same soap in the shower and then use a moisturizer with sunscreen in it. I have never been 100% satisfied with anything I've used, but the Avene one I'm using now is probably the best. no anti-ageing cream yet, I don't trust them really. I feel good sunscreen and hydration should be enough until I'm well over 35, possibly 40

this has taken ages to type, and yet my face routine is pretty minimal to be honest...

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

^ don't be afraid of anti-aging...much of it can be considered preventative and repairing as opposed to reversing. Many simple creams containing retinol can be found easily. Avene makes some decent gentle ones without many other ingredients:

Comment

• between
                              • Oct 2011

if i had to name one product it would definitely be the Bioderma Créaline H20 make-up remover, i have been using it for a couple of months now and it is the best product for sensitive skin (or any kind of skin really, and i heard that all of the make-up artists in the fashion industry use it).

besides that, i use Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentré for moisturising and Nuxe Exfoliant Doux Aromatique to wash my face in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎