Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jurassicsnark
    • Sep 2015

I actually just picked up some Niacinimide but haven't yet integrated it into the routine — I try to add/change a step no more than once every 2 weeks so that I can see how I adapt to the change. I have just decided to give retinol another chance, though I have had only so-so results with it in the past. I am pretty fortunate in that I'm in my mid-40s but my biggest issue is hyperpigmentation caused by decades of hormonal birth control and some scarring. I am really interested in skin care, though, and I'm curious as to what everyone is using.

Like MBD, I was using Dr Sebagh, but it hasn't always been the easiest thing to replenish as I've been livingon the road, so my current regimen is total hodgepodge of stuff from all over.

Comment

• J_J
      • Apr 2008

I started using The Ordinary July 2018, kind of went overboard with the actives (Vit C+Ferulic+Marine Hyaluronics + SPF50 sunscreen in the AM, EUK 134, retinol 0,05 + squalane oil in the PM) and my skin did NOT like it. Started to streamline it especially given Retinol purging and my routine now looks like this:
      AM: Kikumasamune High Moist lotion --> The Ordinary Vit C suspension in HA spheres mixed with CeraVe --> Biore spf50 Sunscreen
      PM: Kiku high moist --> RetinA 0,025% --> CeraVe with some drops of hemp/safflower oil

My skin is still prone to getting tiny superficial red zits here and there but has gotten very smooth and "glowy" . Unfortunately haven't seen a huge difference regarding the lil blackheads on my nose though (not too visible but they irk me)

I recommend checking out Dr Dray's channel on YouTube (she's a dermatologist), I tend to skip her lifestyle/vlog videos and go straight to the Q&A and product reviews. Another good skincare channel is Gothamista.

Comment

• Stylecoo
        • Feb 2020

I don't makeup. In life, I buy lotion and toner rather than concealer and eyeliners.

Comment

• shropshire
          • Mar 2020

I love beauty products from Benefits tho I find them expensive. If I want to keep my budget, I go for Himalaya cream for my face. It's gentle to the skin.

Comment

• shropshire
            • Mar 2020

I have sensitve skin so I use hypoallergenic make ups. Burt's bees, Physician's formula, tarte, clnque and bareminerals

Comment

• AronGlower
              • Feb 2021

My care consists of only a few products. My skin is good, so I only use micellar water to remove makeup, foam for washing and some moisturizing masks. I don't have any favorite brands of these products, but I don't buy the cheapest ones either. By the way, micellar water washes off the glue for false eyelashes well. In makeup, I use them every day, as it is convenient, even much more than mascara. I usually order at acelashes.com where good quality, the cilia themselves do not fall out and the washing agent does not spoil them. I tried individual bundles, but they quickly deteriorate after using detergents.
              Last edited by AronGlower; 04-18-2021, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• donna1996
                • Apr 2021

Girl, you're lucky! I mean... It's not like I have to wear a lot of makeup, but still! I must admit that I love contouring, and there is no contouring without highlight, if you know what I mean. As for eyelashes, I was ordering from https://www.acelashes.com as well, but recently my friend started a beauty course for permanent lashes. So, obviously, I have got permanent lashes now! Pretty cool, I have to admit. But when they fall, I look bold! It's not like I complain or something. Beauty indeed requires efforts! Waiting for the day when my husband will start appreciating it! I feel like you'll understand me!

Comment

• Landore
                  • Apr 2021

Taking care of your face is almost a full time job!

Comment

• Landore
                    • Apr 2021

hahaha yes it is a full time job

Comment

• Landore
                      • Apr 2021

If you follow up the Korean routine, you have almost 10 steps! Sometimes I do not even have power for all of them!

Comment

• Heavilyass
                        • Jun 2021

It is not a full time job, I have it as a meditation. I like your skincare scheme and the way you layer skincare.

Comment

• CamillaCammy
                          • Jul 2022

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
                          apologies in advance for the length - and so early in the year!

Serge Lutens: the only makeup I've ever cared for, aside from the band.

Being continuously sleep deprived I *am* getting dark circles under my eyes. I've never worn much makeup save eyeliner. If I bought makeup, it was always on a whim, and I never did much with any of it but "play" on occasion. Recently, though, my Serge Lutens guy showed me the (newly available in the states) SL makeup line, and I am now bonkers over it. I mean, I threw away much of what I've accumulated over half a lifetime of "playing" with makeup, and I replaced it all with a small kit that covers nearly all the makeup I could possibly need.

Here it my set with what I consider a reasonable object to use for size comparisons around these parts -- an Ann feather necklace for scale:

(L to R: two water based lip tints, lipstick, Quant-a-Soi makeup base for dark circles/blemishes, potted kohl liner w/ application pen with two tip shapes, finishing powder that I sometimes use in place of foundation, the only eye color palette offered in the SL line.)

What I love about his line is its thoughtful packaging and the confidence and decisiveness with which he edited the offerings. (A little bit of control freak there?) There is only one blush color for example, one set of colors for the eyes and only one kohl eyeliner in a pot.

Lipstick/lipstain

The water-based lip tints were extraneous purchases for me, but I don't usually wear lipstick so I felt that they could serve as a reasonable compromise. You can wear the water-based lip tint alone or layer it under or over the lipstick, in my case to change it from red-red to a red-orange or a berry red similar to Chanel's Vamp. Modular.

Foundation

I hate liquid foundation, and there no detestable liquid foundation to be found in this line. With that alone, he wins. You use the quant-a-soi base, whose texture and feel is magnificent, under the eye and to cover blemishes. You then brush and "set" the powder foundation over it. It stays in place all day - no fuss whatsoever, and most important to me, you can't feel it. (If you like, you can get the finishing powder for touch ups - I did get it because I hate the idea of touching up with more foundation.)

Money/the buzzkill/what is best to buy first? how to get the most for least?

It's not cheap: if you bought an "essential" set, as refills where they're available (foundation powder, lipstick, makeup base, eye palette which only comes with the compact, kohl liner), it would cost around $500 w/ tax. (Based on how much I actually wear makeup, most of it would last one to three years before I have to replace something, which is awesome.) For what I think are the must-haves of the line (kohl, foundation powder, quant a soi makeup base), I estimate you'd pay ~ $230 + tax. It was worth it for me to get rid of the little things I've accumulated over the years and to replace it with a perfectly curated and minimal set -- or that's how I justified the (still mind-numbingly painful) cost.

The eyeshadow and foundation compacts, as well as the lipstick, are refillable. The also don't appear to scratch. Since I don't touch up with more foundation, and thus don't need to carry it around, I bought the foundation powder as a refill (sans compact) to save $$$.

The line is sold only at Barneys in the US. The guy I go to is one of the top SL experts in the US - PM if you want his email address. He'll definitely take care of you where fragrance/color samples are concerned, get your colors right, work with your budget, etc.

And no, I don't get free Serge makeup (I wish!) I am a true fan girl and my enthusiasm overflow-th, per usual. It seems obvious if you're going to pay that much for anything, you should be talking to the best there is - i.e., my guy - for advice. Also, someone recently told me of a really disappointing, lackluster experience at the SL counter/Barneys NYC. Not at those prices you shouldn't!

MBD
                          Thanks for sharing. I would like to state that I am a member of the forum in order to thank you. I wish you a good day. :)
                          My personal blogs are, Pencil Drawing Art and Beauty & Skin Care.

Comment

• ArnoldChristian
                            • Mar 2023

I recently got into makeup and skincare, and it's been such a fun journey so far. I love experimenting with different looks and finding new products that work with my skin type. I've been trying to take better care of my skin and it's been making a huge difference - I'm already seeing results! I'm looking forward to learning more tips and tricks from all of you, as well as sharing my own experiences.

Comment

• JamesMason
                              • Mar 2023

It's so important to take care of your skin, and it really helps create a beautiful base for your makeup. I'm a big fan of the basics: cleansing, toning, and moisturizing. If you want to take your knowledge of makeup and skincare to the next level, I'd recommend looking into the Advanced Aesthetics program. It's a great way to learn more about proper skincare, and you can even become a qualified expert. With the right knowledge and techniques, you can create amazing looks and keep your skin radiant.

Comment

• Austin3232
                                • Nov 2023

A lot of people are recommending isotretinoin to treat acne. However, the medicines used for acne treatment, such as isotretinoin vs tretinoin, have different modes of action and side effects. Hence, they must be used according to prescription.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎