X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rider
    eyes of the world
    • Jun 2009

hi, perhaps i can add some insight. mbd, turned me onto serge lutens makeup about a year ago. through the years, i've tried many brands as most of us have...
    i started with quant a soi base and was so impressed i moved onto the powder foundation, his new blush, eye comb mascara (truly the best mascara ever invented!!!) and lastly the kohl eyeliner in black. i use my own brush, a pointed tip one, and put a smudged line on the inner lower rim, the stuff doesnt move, stays in place all day. i also use a swab of powder foundation to set it.
    hope that helps
    once again thanks for mbd for introducing me to a brand that i will never stray from.
    Last edited by rider; 10-30-2012, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• prenouveau
      • Aug 2012

Thanks! I'll go to Barney's and check it out next time I get paid

Comment

• missalfetta
        • Oct 2012

i love creme de la mere moisturising creme and SKII facial treatment essence. it leaves my skin bright and smooth.

Comment

• severin
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
          How do I apply metallic eyeshadow without looking like I lost a fight to it?
          i thought looking like you lost a fight to *anything* was the appeal of metallic eyeshadow, though ?
          Last edited by severin; 11-02-2012, 09:58 PM.
          take me up to the top of the city

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
            • Oct 2010

Hey - if any of you guys are interested in the skincare line that Rider and I (and other of us are using) along with the Serge Lutens line -- it's near impossible to get samples of that but he may send samples to people I recommend -- get in touch with me. LIKE NOW.

I'm going to Barneys right now and am going to pick up some things since I haven't left my apartment for 3 weeks now -- I seriously need it. Send me your addresses and if I get it while I'm there *and add what you're interested in - I'll have him get in touch or send stuff.

He's in incredible professional. And yes, I pay for the stuff. A lot.

And it is completely worth it.

MBD
            "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
            It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
            My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Ladidums
              • Oct 2012

Do you all prefer liquid foundations, tinted moisturisers, compact powder foundation or loose powder foundation and why?

I'm having the worse luck with foundations although I've only used liquid foundations and tinted moisturisers thus far. I've only been using those with a sheer coverage (Koh Gen Do's Aqua foundation and Chanel's Aqua Vitalumiere) and either applied with a beauty blender or fingers, they still appear fake and mask like.

I must say I don't use a primer because sillicones make me break out.

Any suggestions?

Comment

• fadetogrey
                • Apr 2009

(Combo to Dry skin opinion)

I prefer liquid or tinted moisturizer (I use Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Moisture foundation usually) with concealer.

I think the key to making it look not like a mask is to only apply it where you need it, instead of all over the face. With the moisture foundation it's pretty impossible to make it look like a mask, though. If you need to apply it all over the face, I find that bringing colour to the cheeks does wonders in making it not look a mask.

I've also found great success using Clarins' Beauty Flash Balm as a primer- it feels moisturizing, doesn't have that silicone feel (hate that too) and somehow makes skin look more alive. I apply the foundation before the balm has dried.

Comment

• rider
                  eyes of the world
                  • Jun 2009

another vote for powder foundation. the more sheer the better for me.
                  i'm a convert to serge lutens, thanks to the recommendation of mbd and i've never looked back. on my second and third refills for the entire line which has never happened to me before.

Comment

• galia
                    • Jun 2009

I'm looking to change mascara brands. I've been using YSL for a while now, but have become less satisfied with it recently. A few questions about Lutens:
                    1. Does it smudge easily / is it waterproof?
                    2. How hard is it to clean? I have very sensitive eyes, so it needs to come off fairly easily. I use olive oil as a makeup remover; it's fairly effective but won't dilute anything. I can't use any chemicals on my eyes.
                    3. What type of coverage does it give? Thin elegant lashes or slightly caked on thick existentialist lashes?
                    4. About how much does it cost?

Sorry about the questionnaire. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

As for foundation, I really love the YSL Teint Touche Eclat liquid foundation. Great coverage, and once it has set for a few minutes it looks like I'm not wearing foundation at all. Been getting lots of compliments on my complexion since I've started using it. Just dab some sheer loose powder on top for a matte finish, but it doesn't give too much shine

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

his mascara is 45 euros, and comes in 3 varieties (waterproof, non, and a clear-coloured if I'm not mistaken). I'll let the pros tell you how it wears as I'm a boy who doesn't wear mascara.
                      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• rider
                        eyes of the world
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by galia View Post
                        I'm looking to change mascara brands. I've been using YSL for a while now, but have become less satisfied with it recently. A few questions about Lutens:
                        1. Does it smudge easily / is it waterproof?
                        2. How hard is it to clean? I have very sensitive eyes, so it needs to come off fairly easily. I use olive oil as a makeup remover; it's fairly effective but won't dilute anything. I can't use any chemicals on my eyes.
                        3. What type of coverage does it give? Thin elegant lashes or slightly caked on thick existentialist lashes?
                        4. About how much does it cost?

Sorry about the questionnaire. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

As for foundation, I really love the YSL Teint Touche Eclat liquid foundation. Great coverage, and once it has set for a few minutes it looks like I'm not wearing foundation at all. Been getting lots of compliments on my complexion since I've started using it. Just dab some sheer loose powder on top for a matte finish, but it doesn't give too much shine
                        hi gaila,
                        serge lutens mascara has two application options composed of the same formula, a comb and a brush. the comb goes on very smooth and natural, virtually no clumping and the brush gives a thicker application. i hesitate to recommend the brand to you though, because the reason i love it is it doesnt move, i mean never, no smudging no matter if you swim, or hike or anything active. truthfully, its amazing... it doesnt budge but that may be the drawback for you because the only way to remove it is with waterproof eye makeup remover. i dont think olive oil will remove it (i'll try this method for you tonight ). for me, its the mascrara i searched my entire youth for and for $65 i only need to buy two a year and i gladly dish that out for a miracle.

edit: i just read dane's post and i wasnt aware of the other formulations but perhaps mbd can help or you can call bryce at barneys chicago and ask, he's very helpful and knows the line inside out.

Comment

• galia
                          • Jun 2009

Thanks a lot for both your answers. I'll se if MDB has anything to add, otherwise I'll just pop into the SL store when I have the time.
                          I like that is doesn't budge, as I hate smudging, but the makeup removal thing might be a problem indeed. If you do end up trying my method tonight, please let me know how it went! Ahah
                          It's very sweet of you to offer to crash test it, much appreciated

Comment

• rider
                            eyes of the world
                            • Jun 2009

Gaila, I forgot you are in Paris and you can go to the SL boutique. please let me know if you have a chance to try the Gardenia perfume Une voix noire he recently released.

and...drum roll...you have made me a convert...yes, the olive oil works and i'm happy to report it removed more in one swipe, as well as being gentler then the prepackaged waterproof removers. thank you for the suggestion!

Comment

• galia
                              • Jun 2009

GREATEST NEWS EVER
                              Olive oil is the best makeup remover I've ever tried. I don't even need to moisturize after, except when it's cold

I also recommend honey as a face cleaner. it has natural anti-ageing properties and it's much more pleasant than anything I have every tried. (now you all know what a dirty hippie I truly am)

Comment

• Ladidums
                                • Oct 2012

Rider and MBD, I'll just let both of you know that you're pretty much the reason why my bank account is smaller and a package of serge's foundation and primer is on its way to me now.

Also, Bryce has been very helpful and offered to send me samples. So yay overall.

BTW, rider and MBD, what are your shades in Serge Lutens compares to other popular foundations? Also, how do you put them on? Granted, my skin needs more coverage but I rather have bad skin than look like I'm wearing foundation.

Galia:I've used olive oil as well but when it comes to mascara, I rarely stray from my japanese favourites. Try "Kiss Me Heroine Make Long and Curl" mascara. Don't let the stupid name bother you. There're fibres in it and you do need to change it every 3 months or so cos it dries out quickly but it's amazing. I've got short straight almost nonexistent asian lashes and they're very good for me. One coat for normal, more for existential lashes(I like your description). Kiss Me Heroine also sells a mascara remover which you'll need if you're using this mascara. It looks like another tube of mascara. You sweep it on and let it marinate for 1-2 minutes before taking it off with a cotton pad.But I can probably wear this mascara and go swimming and nothing will happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎