X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avout
    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
    Well, he's trying something new innit. Most of it doesn't really work, but at least he's trying. I actually quite like the high waisted trousers, but it ain't ever going to work for me (and I have invested too heavily in dropped crotches already). Standout item for me are the boots which look fucking fantastic. I need more time to digest the rest and make sense of it. At first glance a lot of theatre and a bit of WTF.
    He is trying, and I wouldn't even say that most of it doesn't work. This is the starkest departure from his previous silhouette/aesthetic, and I think a lot of people have very strong gut reactions to that.

Personally, aside from the shoes, the puffy coats and a couple of the leathers, I think most of the collection looks really good. I love the side-closing blazer that is almost double-breasted, and the high-waist pants that give this great stretched-out silhouette. It's workwear, but still in a sort of gaunt, Rick style.

I don't mind that he's trying to redefine the Rick Owens aesthetic in terms of something more conservative and classical, and I'm curious to see whether he backtracks or stays the course over the next few seasons. I'm honestly more intrigued by where this goes if he keeps at it.

Comment

• Shucks
      • Aug 2010

i'm still saying those pants can all be worn completely differently for those who want to, and consequently that it's a non-issue. (i.e. a styling thing.)

still waiting for a runway vid - anyone??

Comment

• mrbeuys
        • May 2008

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
        Honestly, fuck all this. I am too old for man skirts, clint eastwood pants. I shall live in leathers and jeans.
        You've become such a grumpy old man .
        Let's forget about the furry coats and the fisherman's leather pants, but the tailored stuff could be really interesting and happens to be in line with how I wear Rick these days... I like the new departure, novelty or not. I like novelty, life's boring otherwise.
        Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• kunk75
          Banned
          • May 2008

Well yes, it is becoming increasingly easier to wear rick to work without looking like a tranny skateboarder.

Comment

• Johnny
            • Sep 2006

Fabric acronyms are all well and good, but they don't give clothing much of a cultural impact or exert any filtered-down influence. Not everyone needs that or needs to like or appreciate it, but being forced to come up with something new every six months means that, while not everything will work, there will be a general pattern or movement and progression. Even that general pattern may not be a good thing of course (ref our friend You're-Definitely-'Avin-A-Raf Simmons) but the process of the progression is where fashion counts.
            Rick's a big deal now, so I think he perhaps feels a responsibility to show more than gym outfits and tight leather jackets? I see this as something more grown up, a refinement on his tailoring efforts so far (it looks much better than before), and yes a few "curve-balls" thrown in.
            Another random thought. Is Rick the new Prada? Showing all this "fashion forward" stuff at his shows but just selling drop-crotch joggers and minor variations on the same leather jacket?

Comment

• between
              • Oct 2011

i think that the point he has reached in his designs is a very interesting one. his work is getting more and more architectural and structured (this was even more obvious in his latest womenswear collection, which has to be one of my favorite collections ever by the way), everything is cleaner and much more precise than it used to be.
              and even though i'm not in love with this particular collection, i find this whole process fascinating.
              (but i do have to stay that i have a hard time finding an excuse for the puffy jackets)
              Last edited by between; 01-19-2012, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• lowrey
                ventiundici
                • Dec 2006

I'm suddenly not bummed at all that I missed the show. what a trainwreck.
                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Shucks
                  • Aug 2010

as for the tailored stuff, this is a beauty:

Comment

• Pumpfish
                    • Sep 2010

This is a travesty of a collection.

Rick's high watermark was selling Curehead wannabe clothes to old men who should know better. And that dried up years ago.

This is ballroom dancer nightmare shite.
                    spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• FOREVER
                      • Sep 2011

Yeah the above jacket and the white boots were some outstanding pieces. Apart from that this didn't really strike me as something I would want to see more often. I had a good laugh with the puffy Monclér-ish jackets tho'

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

There are a few decent looks, a few meh's...but this, this is inexcusable:

i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

hah, it's one of my favourite looks. it looks like balenciaga couture gone sewer exploring.

Comment

• TheThief
                            • Mar 2011

I hate to say it but I was very dissapointed with the collection. Though I know Drkshdw will probably have a bunch of pieces I want, this mainline was (for me) his weakest yet. I thought the highneck puffy jackets looked even worse in motion - made the models look like bobble heads. The other big issue for me was the high-waist, drop crotch pants..Pick one or the other. These just made the body proportions really awkward in a bad way.

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
                              hah, it's one of my favourite looks. it looks like balenciaga couture gone sewer exploring.
                              Funny you should say that...I was going to make the comment that I doubt even Heirloom could pull that one off...I may eat my words come next winter though!
                              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Lane
                                • Aug 2010

the best outfit was ricks

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡