• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

The Guardian Article on Abuse in the Modeling Industry

This is truly disheartening:

"You get paid to look good, now shut up.
    This is the kind of remark I often hear about my efforts to establish fair labor standards for models working in the American fashion industry. Modeling is a seemingly glamorous profession, and models are certainly not the people you picture when you think of bad working conditions. But wipe off the sheen and another reality emerges.
    At 29, I have worked as a model for over half my life, and I'm the first to admit that I've been lucky in my career. I have worked with some of fashion's most talented, creative people as the face of some of the industry's most recognized brands. I enjoy modeling, a job that not only paid my bills, but also allowed me to put myself through school. I have no reason to speak negatively about an industry that has given me so much. And, yet, I can no longer stay silent about rampant abuses that I have experienced firsthand."

More here
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

I remember seeing previews for her documentary...did anyone actually see it?

I don't really understand the model's comment about using her ambiguous ethnic heritage as a selling point...I personally don't see how this differs from using any other aspect of your appearance to get work as a model.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• michael_kard
      • Oct 2010

So you're saying that a business that exists only to exploit women's insecurities doesn't the women it employs terribly well? Well blow me down with a feather.
      If you don't want to be exploited then learn a trade rather than expecting to live on your looks.
      Beggars belief doesn't it?

Theyll be telling us models don't starve themselves to keep their weight down next.
      ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
      Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Rosenrot
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Dane View Post
        I remember seeing previews for her documentary...did anyone actually see it?
        I saw it. Could have been better, but it was a good conversation starter. Oh and my favourite part was when the camera zoomed briefly on Terry Richardson sat on the front row while on the topic of sexual assault, without making any other reference to him whatsoever.
        Originally posted by Patroklus
        Better too adventurous than not enough
        everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• Ahimsa
          Vegan Police
          • Sep 2011

^I've seen it as well. What I took note of was how many of them just skip out on college because they're making so much anyway. It seems like a clever scheme to keep attractive women uneducated and perpetuating the current system. Though it is obviously their own choice, the opportunity is most like to pass by forcing them to take a very big risk, hence entering the scenario mentioned by merz.
          StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• gawkrodger
            • Jun 2013

thought this was the most relevant thread to post this in

Jamie Peck: Call me crazy, but allegations of sexual harassment are a little more important than a magazine's investigation of the famously perverted photographer's everyday life

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎