Thread: Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche by Hedi Slimane (1997-2000)

Default Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche by Hedi Slimane (1997-2000)

Sometime during 1997, Hedi Slimane was named creative director of Yves Saint Laurent menswear by Pierre Bergé. After the Gucci group purchased the house, Hedi Slimane decided to resign on Thursday March 23, 2000. His last runway show was Autumn-Winter 2000. He was hired to be the new menswear designer for Dior Homme on Monday July 17, 2001.

Here is a small archive of his work at YSL before his departure. What is here is all I could find. If anyone happens to have any of the other collections (images, campaign, videos) please feel free to PM me and I will include it. I will also be displaying my collection of YSL by Hedi Slimane items in the Designer Archive when I get a chance.

Please also check out the complete sets of Dior Homme Autumn-Winter 2001 and Spring-Summer 2002 in the Seasonal Collections section!

AW97 : MISSING
    SS98 : MISSING
    AW98 : images + ad campaign
    SS99 : runway video
    AW99 : images + runway video
    SS00 : images + runway video
    AW00 : runway video

Autumn-Winter 1998

Runway Show & Interview

Ad Campaign

Spring-Summer 1999

Runway Show

Autumn-Winter 1999

Collection Images

Runway Show

Hedi Slimane Fashion Diary
    http://www.hedislimane.com/fashiondiary/index.php?id=41

Spring-Summer 2000

Collection Images

Runway Show

http://www.hedislimane.com/fashiondiary/index.php?id=24

Autumn-Winter 2000

Runway Show

http://www.hedislimane.com/fashiondiary/index.php?id=35

It's so weird to see the pre-Dior suit silhouette. Kind of 70s glamour meets 90s volume.

thx for all these pics, was looking for them..

Great, thanks for sharing this. And now I finally know that my 90's YSL frock really is from the Hedi era!

hedi's work for ysl is discernible by the pink and orange set of boxes on the label

Default The Legacy of Saint Laurent

This is an amazing article about this designer.

amazing is perhaps a bit strong, it's a nice little article, but it hardly offers anything new. I don't see how it can be particularly interesting to anyone who isn't just in the process of discovering who Saint Laurent was

AMAZING!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

What are your guys opinions on Hedi's quality of work in the different areas i.e. Rive Gauche, DH, SLP?

I'm not a huge fan of Rive Gauche myself, but it's certainly interesting to the starting point of his evolution. Dior Homme is certainly his best work in my opinion. To be fair I do like some of the silhouettes from his second round at Saint Laurent and it certainly channels a pretty cool vibe, but to me it seems kind of vanilla. Still a lot better than what vacarello has done until now imo. What do you think?
    For your information, please read carelabels and hanging tags carefully, for washing and handling instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    No, they just religiously read SZ

Considering how old this all is, there is a lot that has been written on here already. I think YSL RG was important in setting up his work at DH, especially the slimming of the silhouette, so I am a fan from the historical viewpoint.

As an aside, I love looking at these collections because they break down the stereotypes neat "decades" division of time. The 80s spilled over into the early 90s, the 90s into 00s and so on. Hm, maybe there is an article in all of this...
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I'd love to read it!
    For your information, please read carelabels and hanging tags carefully, for washing and handling instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    No, they just religiously read SZ