• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • modesclave
    • Mar 2010

Online fabric sources

Hey there

I am just starting out, and live in Australia. We have pretty terrible options in terms of buying fashion fabrics, and I suspect I will need to start buying online.

Is there any good online fabric stores from which you can buy high quality fabrics. I am specifically looking for ultralightweight cotton knits and cotton cashmere blends, like the ones used by Damir Doma.

Or if there is anyone else on here from Australia which knows where I can get fabrics like these "down under", I would really appreciate the directions.

Cheers

- Sean
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

I think there is a thread here somewhere that list some online fabric resources,
    I never buy fabric online, everyone is different, but I have to touch and feel the fabric for a couple of days or at least a few hours before I commit to buying..........

I think if you decide to go this outs the best thing is to request sample swatches before you commit to buy...........
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• radial
      • Oct 2011

Sticky for Fabric Sources

The thread zamb is referring to can be found here

I would also add http://www.nyfashioncenterfabrics.com/ to that list

As for lightweight cotton/cashmere knits, this should work with a little dyeing.

Comment

• alyen
        • Oct 2015

I have found out the best way to buy fabrics online outside the US without paying a fortune for shipping is eBay, small quantities, and buying small samples first since many sellers lie about the actual weight or composition etc. Good luck.

Comment

• clay
          • Sep 2006

Shipping is the biggest problem. However, take the time to research textile mills and their reps in your country. If you or your friends are in NY anytime give me shout : george@moodfabrics.com. Let me know you are a fellow SZ'er.

Comment

• avivajx
            • Dec 2015

I would recommend Cloth House in England. They have a lot of really exclusive findings at their house. And you can have 5 free swatches before really ordering any fabric you like(only paying the shipping and is not much).
            Welcome to Cloth House, London. Our online fabric store offers quality fabrics; from organic cotton to Irish linen and Japanese denim. Buy Fabric online from the UK with worldwide shipping.

Comment

• AVerdantShore
              • Jan 2011

^^Clay--if you are the same George that I often interacted with at Mood, while living in NY, I do hope all is well.

Comment

• eleves
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by clay View Post
                Shipping is the biggest problem. However, take the time to research textile mills and their reps in your country. If you or your friends are in NY anytime give me shout : george@moodfabrics.com. Let me know you are a fellow SZ'er.
                Originally posted by AVerdantShore View Post
                ^^Clay--if you are the same George that I often interacted with at Mood, while living in NY, I do hope all is well.
                If this is the same George, wish I knew he was an SZer! We talked about GBS last time I was there and it was the only time I've ever felt comfortable while fabric shopping.
                Originally posted by Faust
                HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• NOHSAD
                  • Nov 2014

Etsy seems to be a decent place for fabrics. The site has a lot of fabric sellers, a few I thought were interesting. Depending on where you live or what you're looking for, it's worth checking out.
                  "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• clay
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by eleves View Post
                    If this is the same George, wish I knew he was an SZer! We talked about GBS last time I was there and it was the only time I've ever felt comfortable while fabric shopping.
                    Eleves and AVS, yes it is I! I'm doing well and I'm glad I helped your experience at Mood. Also I'm sorry I just got back to this thread. Guys, it makes my day to talk about designers we love. It also makes my day to show the fantantastic ( albeit limited ) fabrics that are often missed or simply over looked due to the sheer overwhelming amout of stuff there. So many simply do not appreciate what is available at a place like Mood. But, when I get a sense of a SZ'er, I'm happy to try and help them find what they may want. So on that note, my direct email is above and I envite all to drop by and if you do please say hello.

Comment

• sard.wonder
                      • Mar 2017

If this subject still applies to anyone in Australia, I have found that We are the Fabric Store has some really good quality fabric especially the linen.
                      Also based in Australia is Potter & Co and they have an online website with some of their fabric
                      https://potterandco.com.au/. This is the best local store in my city.

Other wise I purchase sometimes from fabrics-store.com or blackbird fabrics
                      Cloth house is amazing too.
                      I've always wanted to buy yarn from Habu textiles

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎