Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rick Owens Women's FW 12

The awesomest of the awesome, Lynn Yager, weighs in.

"
    “I’m gonna take that bitch to college! I’m gonna give that bitch some knowledge!” intones a rapper who calls himself Zebra Katz over the loudest of loudspeakers, jolting awake the somnambulant fashion audience at the Rick Owens show. This deeply offensive if catchy lyric — it goes on to inform the listener that the singer intends to "slice that bitch and ice that bitch”— seems to have little to do with the stunning ensembles on the Owens runway, which include gossamer-draped frocks in every shade of gray and some of the most desirable leather jackets — abbreviated in length, voluminous of sleeve — of the season.

Whoever is in charge of things at Dior should send some bitch over there to rescue the house. The schlumpy offerings have more than one person in the audience yearning for John Galliano’s return, his own burst of hate speech notwithstanding..."
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Galliano's return is just a matter of time, fashion industry is incredibly forgiving.

Mike better play some Zebra fucking Katz at the SZ London II party.
    ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
    Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Quote Originally Posted by safeword123 View Post
    Galliano's return is just a matter of time, fashion industry is incredibly forgiving.
    The one thing fashion and sports have in common.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

every time I look at this collection I cannot help but think of Theyskens in his glory days..............
    can they give him the Dior job.............please?
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Quote Originally Posted by avout View Post
    We're in Unmoved Mover territory - I think we've gone full WTF now.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Zam Barrett Fall 2015/16 sale: up to 70% off

No, let him be stuck in the Theory purgatory. Apparently he loves New York and its parties. Yippie! Who needs work?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

See, it's all in the context.

What a bunch of bullshit.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Ugh...
    every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Ima stay outta this.
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Heirloom

i just read that bitch.

A few things I'd like to point out in this debate:

- Just because a woman is singing misogynistic lyrics does not negate the misogyny. TO assume so would involve essentializing women as fundamentally different then men. Essentializing is often the justification for misogyny (women are [x], women can't [y], etc) as well as other kinds of discrimination. This also would preclude women from being misogynists themselves. We don't say, for example, that Afro-American political disenfranchisement becomes acceptable when a black person (Booker T. Washington) advocates for it.

Please note that I'm not deciding whether or not the lyrics are in fact misogynistic. I'm saying that the argument "A woman is singing on the track too so that makes it OK" is shallow thinking.

- Although the author of that Daily Beast article questions Rick's intentions and character, one need not hate women to do something misogynistic. You can have the best of intentions, the purest of motivations and still produce something culturally unacceptable.

- Finally, there are arguments that the word 'bitch' is, because of its etymology, its use in society, its history, is malum in se. That is, it is misogynistic whenever and wherever it is used. This also means that it cannot be reclaimed/reappropriated. I haven't thought and read enough on this issue to give an opinion, just realize that these arguments exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post

See, it's all in the context.

What a bunch of bullshit.
    I'm having a hard time finding any bullshit. Mind pointing it out?

Quote Originally Posted by several_girls View Post
    . . . Although the author of that Daily Beast article questions Rick's intentions and character, one need not hate women to do something misogynistic. You can have the best of intentions, the purest of motivations and still produce something culturally unacceptable.

. .That would be Ms. Robin Givhan.
    . .Never cared for her vanilla fashion opinions when she was at The Washington Post.
    . .Still don't.

. .
    sain't

This article, Queer Theory and Politics, is good for highlighting the complexity of all these arguments (but is about the reclamation of queer, not bitch or slut).

Here is a diagram of all of these issues:

I mean, speaking of reclamation, I was reviewing the pics for this show, and who's to say that the models are the ones being read to? They look rather imposing, why can't the music be narrating their intent?
    ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Quote Originally Posted by interest1 View Post
    I'm having a hard time finding any bullshit. Mind pointing it out?
    Yeah. Trying to explain away something that is clearly offensive (the lyrics of that song) with "context." In that case anything can be explained away. That is BULLSHIT.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

maybe when the weather gets a bit nicer we should organize an sz field trip to the christopher street piers...
    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?