X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roger B
    • Apr 2012

Richard Creme Exhibition

I am a Curator at Manchester Metropolitan University's Link Gallery. We have a brief show of Richard Creme's art 2nd - 10th May (closed Bank Holiday Monday) - 10.00am - 5.00pm Mon - Friday. So there are just three more days to see the show.

Richard Creme ran the incredibly successful L’Homme fashion boutique in Manchester until he had a stroke in 2007, which meant that he could not carry on with the business. As part of his recovery he started to create artwork in his sketchbooks and later onto canvas. The experimentation and artistic progress helped him through a difficult period learning to live with the effects of the stroke, which most noticeably have affected his speech. Arts For Health and the Stroke Association asked us if we would like to curate and host the exhibition in the Link Gallery. We went through Richard’s entire collection of work and were given the freedom to pick the pieces we thought would tell his story best.

See: Opening Night
    Curation and Richards Paintings
    Richard Creme - A Life After Stroke (Chris Larkin Storify)

Roger Bygott
    MMU Link Gallery Curator
  • Roger B
    • Apr 2012

Richard Creme Video

See also this short video from the opening night:
    http://vimeo.com/41487787

Comment

• Yan
      • Mar 2008

My lasting memory of Richard was in his Comme suits that Rei had specially made for him. I remember how he grabbed Yohji suits from a rail and draped them on a balcony, telling me which ones he would sell me and which ones he would not. He then let me pay a little each week interest free.
      It was an interesting time in Manchester during the eighties with the birth of groups such as Flannels and Warehouse who exist now as Start in Shoreditch.

Comment

• viv1984viv
        • Feb 2008

thanks for posting roger, Yan - thats a great story!
        Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎