Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your favorite coffee table books (photography, artist monographs, fashion bible, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tafkap
    • Oct 2006

Your favorite coffee table books (photography, artist monographs, fashion bible, etc)

I've been working on the book collection and now that I've gotten rid of the fillers and have only the essentials, I have found that my coffee table books are somewhat lacking. What are some of your holy grail picture books and what are on your wish list?
    I once owned the Christopher Wool Taschen book, but sold it because I needed the cash. I hope to purchase another copy again by the end of the year. It is indeed a huge book and comes packaged in it's own shipping box which is always a nice touch.

I consider photographer monographs coffee table books, even if their size isn't too big - for their small number of printings and almost always are printed and produced rather nicely. I just picked up the new Dirk Braekman monograph from Roma Publications which is very nice....

photo l.vecten
    I also picked up the monograph of Viviane Sassen. I first saw her work in Photoworks magazine (cover) and loved it.

i'll post more once i get my digital camera back. these are the two recent acquisitions and my #1 on the want list (wool).
    for now, let's hear what you got and what you want!
  • fncyths
    • Apr 2010

I frequently rotate my book collection. I normally work in sets. This was my last pair:

Hedi Slimane : Anthology of a Decade

Jean Prouve : The Poetics of the Technical Object

Originally posted by Shucks
    it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
    Originally posted by interest1
    I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Tafkap
      • Oct 2006

Another on the want list - Ludion's 6+ ANTWERP FASHION -

Comment

• radio-aktivität
        • Jan 2011

I don’t get coffee table books at all and banished everything Taschen and/or (worse!) Gestalten related from the bookshelf. But, as with all things, there are exceptions.

first is SangBleu Issue III/IV

which simply is the tattoo book out there. nice editorials in there, too.

then there is the Meisterbuch der Schrift, there should be reprints (first and second edition up to 1965 are hard to find nowadays)

and for the architectural modern housing nerds, there’s this (and only this)

Vinex Atlas

maybe one could also find Tim Rochels’ incredibly sharp medium format live show photography interesting. but kitschy.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I must say I don't like Taschen books. Too many of them are just lowest common denominator crap. Tafkap, I have 6+ ;-) Definitely worth getting.

I'll take some photos later on. Fuuma has an enviable collection too. We actually have an old thread like it, but it's kind of crappy, so let's keep this neat with nice pictures and links to buy if possible, and this should become a fantastic thread.

(If anyone is looking to buy Hedi Slimane's Anthology, mine is for sale slightly above retail.)
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

i'd love to own both those Wool and Oehlen catalogues, love both their work very much. good to see a kindred soul.
            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

My hallway altar.
              Attached Files
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Living room. Now before you go saving these pictures as future blackmail material, I will provide a disclaimer - some of these books are there because they were sent to me by publishers for review. You'll figure out which ones they are.
                Attached Files

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• stephlinn
                  • May 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  My hallway altar.
                  Ooh I have been meaning to get my hands on that Hussein Chalayan book. I would post my collection but it is mainly architecture books passed down from my parents
                  also: nice monica bellucci book

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by stephlinn View Post
                    Ooh I have been meaning to get my hands on that Hussein Chalayan book. I would post my collection but it is mainly architecture books passed down from my parents
                    also: nice monica bellucci book
                    one of the ones i did not buy.

The Chalayan book is fantastic. Buy without hesitation.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Tafkap
                      • Oct 2006

i agree with the taschen in regards to the everything but the huge beast books they put out.
                      and faust - holy cow - NICE!
                      props on the axel vervoodt and shirin neshat.
                      i'd love to get my hands on the veronique branquinho material!!!
                      what is the box set of white books on the bottom row of your altar?
                      potterton books in nyc has a nice selection of books of the axel and belgian variety.

Comment

• stephlinn
                        • May 2012

I also someday hope to get the "nudi" book by Roversi. You know, when I have the money...

If any of you visit Portland you should stop by Powells, it has a ridiculous selection of art/fashion/photography/whatever books. It is easy to lose a day wandering through the store-it is five stories and takes up a whole city block.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Tafkap View Post
                          i agree with the taschen in regards to the everything but the huge beast books they put out.
                          and faust - holy cow - NICE!
                          props on the axel vervoodt and shirin neshat.
                          i'd love to get my hands on the veronique branquinho material!!!
                          what is the box set of white books on the bottom row of your altar?
                          potterton books in nyc has a nice selection of books of the axel and belgian variety.
                          Sorry, I don't talk to Republicans.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fncyths
                            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by stephlinn View Post
                            I also someday hope to get the "nudi" book by Roversi. You know, when I have the money...
                            Roversi is hands down one of my favorite contemporary photographers! I have Studio and lost Nudi in my recent breakup

I just recently discovered Ellen Rogers. If you're a fan of Roversi check her out:

Here's her book:Aberrant Necropolis

Originally posted by Shucks
                            it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                            Originally posted by interest1
                            I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• stephlinn
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by fncyths View Post
                              Roversi is hands down one of my favorite contemporary photographers! I have Studio and lost Nudi in my recent breakup

I just recently discovered Ellen Rogers. If you're a fan of Roversi check her out:

Here's her book: Aberrant Necropolis
                              Oh wow! Her work is really beautiful. I wonder what type of film she uses

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎