X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Where does one get the aforementioned thesis?!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• crtk001
      • Nov 2010

I wrote some critical essays, some visual explorations, and designer profiles, following StyleZeitgeist as a case study of art practice and a working niche market alternative to "mainstream" fashion (using that word here to sum it but avoided it in my thesis to not sound idiotic/pretentious). I produced one copy of my book, large, leather bound, I'm working on making it a smaller paperback so it can be reproduced for a lot less.

Comment

• wedjat
        • Jan 2011

crtk001: Thak you for pointing out "The long tail". very interesting and I have yet to read the article/book.

However: Doesn't it just basically state that lots and lots of niche products can make a decent amount of sales? I can't see how Margiela x HM has anything to do with that. It's not even about sales, it's all about publicity.

Comment

• Zenith
          • Jun 2009

After Lanvin, nothing surprises me anymore.

Comment

• shuit
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
            a tabi boot with a pleather upper that reeks of rubber death would be really hilarious, especially when someone in a mainline pair gets stopped and asked which H&M they got their cement & fiberglass pair at
            that was what I was thinking of too. it gonna suck if it really happens but I guess you could tell the difference from one another solely from the material.

Comment

• crtk001
              • Nov 2010

to answer wedjat,

Chris Anderson takes the longtail past the idea of just if there's a large market its good business. he takes it as a sign that what's "mainstream" is not necessarily what people want, but what is just available. As he says,

"For too long we’ve been suffering the tyranny of lowest-common denominator fare, subjected to brain-dead summer blockbusters and manufactured pop."

It's about the strength of personal taste and of the niche, and a revolt against the mass produced, lowest-common denominator work (And a bit of a prayer that niche markets are the way of the future). When you find a niche people are awfully committed to them and it goes to form their identity, StyleZeitgeist is a wonderful example of a strong niche. It's this market, this loyalty, that H&M by finding such a niche designer as Maison Martin Margiela to collaborate with are trying to capture. If they're so loyal maybe it will bring them into our stores. Its trying to pull in a new market, cause lets face it, I know I've talked and care much more about this collaboration than I have any other one H&M has done.

Side note: Its interesting in this specific case, sort of a mainstream adaptation of a counter culture.

All of that though is really just an elaboration of Faust's wonderful, simple, statement "niche = cool"

Comment

• Shucks
                • Aug 2010

excellent thoughts from crtk001. guess H&M pretty much own everyone except the niche markets now, so that's what's left to chew up...

this collab is another nail in the fucking MMM coffin, but it's not what killed the brand... oh, and great commercial timing there with the launch of the new 'replica' perfumes too. way to go renzo...

Comment

• Icarium
                  • Oct 2010

Wow, I think the things you've shared here crtk001 are probably the most interesting/thought provoking things I've read here. I'd be interested in reading your thesis as well!

I especially like the amazon.com bit being a huge, huge amazon fan.

That people actually want "niche" and not mainstream things but settled because of what's available is one of the more uplifting and hopeful theories I've encountered in a long while. I mean it always made sense to some degree given the effectiveness of exclusivity and anti-marketing techniques, but I pretty much assumed that those only work on a niche/small consistent segment of the population.

This also gives me a +1 in the positive outcomes of the internet existing, which while permeates every aspect of my life I often question if the whole thing is just a waste of resources and us wanking ourselves. If it serves to expose people to things that they actually want, but had no idea existed or how to obtain and from that helps folks form a stronger individualistic identity then that's pretty sweet.

But then again it feels like with the net trends hit much harder, affect more globally, spread faster and crop up more often. I wonder if various internet memes or even phenomenon like Jeremy Lin's "Linsanity" would have been so pervasive without the internet. More sheep in the sheep pool or less sheep in the sheep pool? Maybe it's a wash.

Again then again, a decently athletic asian basketball player without Yao's monstrous height seems to be a pretty rare thing so maybe all the hooplah was driven solely by that. I say that as an asian male who knows shit all about basketball though.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I wouldn't know about the Linsanity if I did not watch the Daily Show. Granted, I watch it online!
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Tafkap
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Icarium View Post
                      I wonder if various internet memes or even phenomenon like Jeremy Lin's "Linsanity" would have been so pervasive without the internet.
                      MartLIN Margiela! It's LINSANITY!

Comment

• Verdandi
                        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
                        I hope they re-release the down duvet coat. Can't wait to see everyone run around in it!
                        You asked for it:

lavender menace

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Oh no

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• HWith
                            • May 2007

Is it possible to find the catalogue online somewhere?

Comment

Found this:

As sad as the news are, just out of curiosity I'm still interested to see how badly will they actually rape the brand.

Don't think the duvet coat will be actually reproduced, the ad seems to be only for those fugly disco leggings.

Comment

• old
                                • Jul 2009

Funny how everything suddenly looks more margiela when re-photographed with a shitty camera
                                Tradition ist Bewahrung des Feuers und nicht Anbetung der Asche.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎