• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Yang Li

During my trip to Paris I had a chance to check out some clothes by the young Chinese-born, Australia raised, designer Yang Li. Li cut his teeth assisting at Raf Simons and Gareth Pugh and works out of London. I liked the clothes a lot, especially the women's - not to make instant comparisons, but they seemed like a beautiful mix of Yohji Yamamoto and older Raf Simons. The quality of fabrics and construction seemed really top notch!

The photos below are courtesy of Yang Li's website

NOW PLAYING IN THE YANG LI STUDIO

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ivwri
          • Jun 2011

Got curious about Yang Li after I saw some of their stuff on LN-CC. The women's clothes are defintiely the highlight here for me as well. Love the large pockets and volume and drape of the trousers and longer skirts.

The laser cutting and just general precision/cleanliness of his designs makes me think of a lot of minimalists, which I guess makes sense considering he even went to work with Raf.

Here's an interview from dazed-digital with him about 2 and a half years ago - http://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/...g-li-london-uk
          Tumblr

Comment

• teeteet
            • Dec 2009

Thanks for the link! Was curious when I saw it on LN-CC, especially the derby shoes. Seems like a bright young man who carries himself well, however not feeling the part where he is reluctant to wear his own creations. If you can't sell it to yourself, how do you sell to others??

Comment

• rider
              eyes of the world
              • Jun 2009

a nod to the emerging talent, Yang Li in BOF

The Spotlight | Yang Li
              Yang Li Spring/Summer 2013 |
              LONDON, United Kingdom — This month, the Spotlight turns to Yang Li, a 24-year-old Central Saint Martins dropout and former Raf Simons intern, whose laser-sharp, monastically clean aesthetic is, surprisingly, the product of a range of reference points.
              “I get angry at school because they say: don’t look at other designers, you can only draw with your ideas,” says the London-based Li, who, instead, likens design to being a DJ, sampling and remixing a variety of source material to make a track. But make no mistake. Blending classic tailoring and architectural silhouettes with a healthy dose of punk, Li is creating a look that’s very much his own.
              Though born in Beijing, Li grew up in the sleepy city of Perth in Western Australia, where basketball and skateboarding — which still influence his work today — served as his primary introduction to style. “Both of these activities require an expressive sense of dress,” says Li.
              It was work of Helmut Lang and Raf Simons, however, that first turned him onto the possibility of becoming a designer. And like his fashion icons, Li is less interested in “re-inventing” a product than “what I’m saying with it.” Indeed, many of Li’s silhouettes are familiar — full A-line skirts for women and double breasted military coats for men — but the designer makes restrained use of edgy details like raw edges, tab closures and side slits to create a quiet sense of “roughness.”
              And while many of his fabrics, including double face wool and top-grain leather, are rich, the way he subtracts unnecessary seams from his pieces creates a strong and distinctly modern effect. “Luxury is not about giving everything. It’s about knowing what to give.”
              In his third season, Li has already attracted a growing tribe of fashion followers, as well as a list of highly influential stockists, including 10 Corso Como, L’Eclaireur, Dover Street Market and LN-CC. “I think it’s really fresh to have a young designer with such a minimal and mature collection and it really appeals to me as a brand,” says John Skelton, creative director of LN-CC, who was one of the first to buy Li’s work. “All of the references seem to come from the right places from my perspective. It seems to be a modern update of brands such as Yohji Yamamoto, Prada and Jil Sander, which are all very close to my heart. In fact, Yang Li is probably the most relevant young brand in the world to me personally at the moment.”
              As for expansion, the designer is taking a measured approach. “I’m not in a rush,” says Li, who lives in London, but has decided to show in Paris. In London, designers grow too fast, he says, while Paris, though harder to crack, he finds more conducive to his patient approach. “I’d rather build one brick solidly at a time to build a church where it’s a ritual for people to go than build a pop-up which is popular for a couple of seasons.”

Comment

• rider
                eyes of the world
                • Jun 2009

and a memorable image taken by Jeff Elstone of model Christina Kruse wearing a Yang Li coat for Stylezeitgeist, this is encroaching perfection.
                Attached Files

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                  • Jan 2011

This:
                  "but the designer makes restrained use of edgy details like raw edges, tab closures and side slits to create a quiet sense of “roughness.”

does quite a disservice to the above images...

and he has me liking the funky f-2 pockets

Comment

• #ruin
                    • Jul 2011

Would've had the current season double face bomber and a few of his other pieces if the sleeves just weren't so short . im taller and have longer arms than the ln-cc model, fit's so nicely in the body but sleeves are 3/4 length on me . the wool used on it was some of the most luxurious i've ever felt and the construction was top notch, if anyone's considering purchasing any of his pieces then i assure that you won't be dissapointed.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

An article from today's Business of Fashion on Yang Li

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kucejoe
                        • Sep 2006

While I haven't had a chance to see / handle any pieces in person, everyone I've spoken to who has / owns some has been impressed.

The only thing is, it seems to me, that the menswear cuts are getting more conservative by the season. Some of the earlier bomber jackets and shirts have this really interesting shape due to a combination of the cut and the double faced fabric. The womenswear looks great though.

Below are some select images from the SS13 campaign with more HERE:

Suspension Point Store (Online + Montreal, QC) / Tumblr / Instagram

Comment

• Alseal
                          • Dec 2012

The style of them shooting the campaign is quite fresh, distinguished from all those dark dirty scene. Maybe just because Yang LI is such clean concept to start with.

Comment

• dantebykiko
                            • Aug 2011

fresh? reminds me of this:

Y's Portrait 2000 by Paris Modes with Marie-Christiane Marek from Y's on Vimeo.

i don't understand the brand at all. copying lookbook styles eg. celine and yohji y's 2000. using obvious shapes and details as yohji and raf as stated before - "mix of Yohji Yamamoto and older Raf Simons". using the same mills as jil sander. what is the purpose of this brand? what he offers better than the brands he obviously look for "inspiration".

Comment

• michael_kard
                              • Oct 2010

I find Yang Li a most refreshing brand. His designs remind me late 90's/early 00's Raf, HL and Hedi which is great. I'm particularly intrigued by his trousers' cuts and more tailored garments, and it's great to hear that the quality is good. The quality of renown tailoring brands such Raf or Prada is absolute shit these days, and overall I feel like quality of construction is greatly diminishing across the fashion spectrum.
                              ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎