X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • t-bone
    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by rilu
    radio-aktivität, thanks for the tip! so far i've tried German brand Tatico, which is also fairtrade and organic. The most interesting grains I've ever tried though was from Vee, also a German brand. I can't recall which one of their offers it exactly was, but it had a taste that was really something different, very chocolate-like.

t-bone, I'm not sure I get your "Chicago Chop", but I'm really curious now about it :P what do you do exactly with the grounds - do you just make sure that they are distributed evenly after grinding a certain amount, and then you grind some more and repeat the same thing? or do you first grind it all, and then you distribute it like that, before tamping? Thanks a lot for sharing all the tips, I'm very interested in your suggestion for less tamping+finer coffee, since I still get the channeling if I try using a naked portafilter :-/
    Hm I guess I'm doing it a little differently, but here is an example on youtube:

From http://www.SilviaSchool.com - Chicago chop espresso leveling technique for the Rancilio Silvia.

So I do something similar, except without as much waste (i fill it until its just barely over the lip) then I do the following:

1-Start by leveling from the neck of the portafilter to the center, then chopping to the far side (without pushing too much of the coffee off the edge)

2- Level back from the far side to the center (pushing the extra grounds to the middle) then chop from the center back to the neck.

3- Level back to the center and repeat from side to side

I also use a naked portafilter and it really helped me see what was happening with my shots and led me to using this method after playing with the WDT (Weiss Distribution Technique) for a little while. It's just second nature now, takes me a minute and a half to grind, dose, tamp, and pull a shot in the morning. No reason to ever use stale pre-ground coffee or pods, in my opinion, unless you don't care about the product and just want a passable vessel for caffeine.

One big problem I think I posted about in the other Coffee thread is that I'm off caffeine for a while, and it's been a challenge finding decaf beans that pull a decent shot, since most are low-acid, single origin, and lightly roasted. Time to start roasting my own blends, I think!

Comment

• chandler
      • Jan 2011

You tube and decent coffee supply places tend to have good videos

Generally on the grinder you try and dial in to the right fineness to extract two shot glasses in 18-28 seconds -- sometimes referred to as the golden rule. Faster extraction is typically sour and slower is too acidic

This also leaves some flexibility for tamping pressure. Some people grind finer and tamp w less pressure and vice versa

Also extraction will differ from blend to blend and even batch to batch

Comment

• casem
        • Sep 2006

This really is a great machine. I've got an older model which has an option for pods or ground espresso. With high quality freshly ground beans it really makes a fantastic espresso. My favorite beans lately have been Stumptown.

The downside for me is like an idiot I bought mine on ebay from Germany after reading reviews that said it could be had for a better price on ebay. Of course the plugs don't work here so I had to get a big bulky converter box so kinda defeats the advantage of it not taking up much room.

Originally posted by Dane View Post
        Interesting chart...if you're interested in perfume molecules, there is much in common (naturally).

I'm lazy and buy Illy pods...they're like compressed tea bags (with coffee in them of course). Takes all the guesswork out...no measuring, no pressing, easy clean up.

I use this machine...I don't know if it's good, but I've had it for about 10 years and it still works (twas a gift). I like that it doesn't take up much room.

music

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Got off work early yesterday and took a mini-series of my cappuccino making process.

Got a mini-Mazzer and a Rancilio Silvia V1 (I need to upgrade....), using FourBarrel beans.

The setup

The beans (their espresso blend is also very nice)

I settle the grind as I dose and then smooth over with my finger.

Reg Barber tamper with a slight convex base.

The beans are a little on the old side so I've noticed the crema getting more scant.

Still a decent layer of crema.

I steam the milk without a thermometer... I do it to temperature by touch.

Then pour in a circle to mix the espresso and milk

As the cup fills, I switch to going back and forth with the pitcher to create the "leaves"

.. and then finish with a line to finalize the rosetta

I'm very intrigued by the Chicago Chop technique for settling the beans. I still get a lot of variation when I tamp with definite evidence of channeling. Another problem that I have is not getting a chance to use my machine all that often in the mornings... I probably use it 3-4 times a week in the evenings/weekends so not enough time to hone my skills.

I'd love to upgrade to an Expobar Brewtus IV so I have more direct control over brew/steam temps with the dual PID and gauges so I know my bar. Plus it looks purdy :) Just haven't yet been able to justify the $2k it would set me back given how infrequently I'm able to use my current machine.

The Silvia is a workhorse though and easy to maintain and easy to get on the secondhand market. Pulls a pretty solid espresso as well.
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

The Silvia is a workhorse though and easy to maintain and easy to get on the secondhand market. Pulls a pretty solid espresso as well.
              The big thing I hear about the e61 group machines (my experience meshes with this) is that, while the Silva can pull just as nice a shot, they are much easier to get consistently great shots from. There's just much less finicky messing about needed. I need to stop dithering and get an Alexia already.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                The big thing I hear about the e61 group machines (my experience meshes with this) is that, while the Silva can pull just as nice a shot, they are much easier to get consistently great shots from. There's just much less finicky messing about needed. I need to stop dithering and get an Alexia already.
                Very nice. Yeah consistency is the issue with my current machine and I don't always have the luxury of fiddling with it on a daily basis. I want a good balance between a machine I can just turn on and run and one that I can tune/tweak.

The Alexia looks pretty solid and the price is fair. Not one for PID/digital thermometers?

Tried the Chicago chop a couple of days ago and very pleased with the way it helps settle the puck. I can tell when I am knocking out the spent puck that it is very even in distribution since the puck doesn't shear out in layers but instead comes out as a solid block. Nice!

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

...The Alexia looks pretty solid and the price is fair. Not one for PID/digital thermometers?
                  Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

I'm not sure if there's already been some talk about the coffee grains, so if there was, please direct me to it. But if I remember right, we haven't mentioned it much in this thread :) What I'm interested in is your thoughts on arabica and robusta grains. I've recently had a chance to try some really good coffee, which turned out to have 70% and 80% (respectively) robusta grains in them. The acidity was extremely low, which I liked a lot, the taste very rich, and the crema superb. What's your experience with these two types of coffee?

Another issue I've noticed is that some coffee grains are much easier to deal with when it comes to a naked portafliter, while others cause a heavy channeling. Chinorlz, you've mentioned the channeling sometimes comes from old grains, right? Any other input on that?

Sorry about the delayed response!

In regards to using the bottomless portafilter, I think it's both a combination of the age of beans and also the grind. I've found that I've had to adjust the fineness of my grind to get the right extraction rate/crema as my beans get older. They reach a point (often these days since I don't have the time to run my machine as often as I used to) when even with increasing fineness, the extraction is not as rich and creamy and the espresso tastes like hell.

As for robusta/arabica beans, I don't know a ton about it. Anecdotally, neither seem to be spoken of in high regard by those that I've talked to at microroasters/coffee shops but if memory serves me right, Italians seem to like robusta... I'm sure some of the other folks on here that know infinitely more than I do on the subject will weigh in! :)

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

In regards to using the bottomless portafilter, I think it's both a combination of the age of beans and also the grind.

As for robusta/arabica beans, I don't know a ton about it. Anecdotally, neither seem to be spoken of in high regard by those that I've talked to at microroasters/coffee shops...
                      I believe evenness of tamping plays a significant role in channeling (bottomless or not).

Also, I'm fairly certain that almost everything microroasters are talking to you about is a type of arabica (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_coffee_varieties ). Robusta is something that has mostly seen use bulking cheap coffees over the last few decades. Though, that perception could just be my ignorance. And, even if it's not being used for much quality coffee, that doesn't mean it can't make good coffee.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

See? This is why we need you to weigh in :)

Thanks for the lesson!

Comment

• Arcane
                          • Jul 2008

If I remember correctly Arabica won't grow beneath a certain height which makes them 'better' (and of course more limited in terms of growth locations). Therefore it's considered to be the 'real' type of bean.

That being said, there's a lot of unwarrented snobbery going on and a lot of good blends include both Robusta and Arabica. As with a lot of things, people tend to forget what's really important which in this case is the taste. I would be hesitant to go for straight robusta though.
                          Label me landlord, I keep k's in my hand

Comment

• t-bone
                            • Dec 2009

Yeah I need to get some glass cups too! I'll do some glamor shots (pun intended) when I get back to the states. Currently almost done with the 3 bags of fresh beans I brought with me to Manila. Living with machine-brewed drip coffee for now, but at least I have a grinder and the fresh beans! I'll probably switch to Barako when I run out, since at least it's something different and interesting, and better than mediocre and stale beans.

I DID just spend a week in Saigon, however, and while the coffee there is always sweetened (either with sugar syrup or condensed milk), it is SO FUCKING GOOD. And their coffee culture is pretty cool too. Street vendors prepare their coffee with care every morning and throughout the day, and then mix it to order over ice. I also learned this trip that they roast the beans in clarified butter there, which adds to the rich, buttery, nutty flavor of the coffee! And while I thought all Vietnamese coffee contained chicory, I guess that is mostly a Vietnamese American thing.

Here is a little write-up my brother did with some pics, he's blogging all of our food and beverage excursions for this first leg of the trip:

Comment

• theetruscan
                              • Jan 2008

(my guess is that it's a mixture of robusta and arabica, but I don't know for sure, strangely it doesn't stand on the package).
                              I've never seen this specified on the package of small roasters. Some will specify the "varietal" (gesha, margogype, bourbon, or other), but most simply assume you will ask if you care, or check the website.

For instance, if you check out stumptown (latin american listed because they have so many coffees lately ...): http://buy.stumptowncoffee.com/latin-american.html you will see that they specify the varietals used, but not whether it is robusta or arabica. Everything they do is an arabica. This is pretty common in the US at least.

I will ask some roasters and see if I can find anybody here using robusta beans.

Comment

• chandler
                                • Jan 2011

it's not uncommon to include robusta in espresso blends. See http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.ot...hp?source=side

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎