• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    So do you and Fuuma

And Rick IS trendy.

Rick may be trendy (if by trendy, you mean popular at this particular moment), but his designs aren't. Same with Ann. I don't see Alexander Wang making anything with the same staying power, which is why I don't put him in the same league or think he's an appropriate alternative.

Hope Merz will chime in soon, especially concerning the aesthetic...
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Shucks
      • Aug 2010

thank you.

oh, and hiddenaway:
      Originally posted by Hiddenaway View Post
      I really quite like this. It's genuine and makes me really appreciate Horikawa even more. I've never been a huge fan of the clothing but there's always been a sense he's very true to himself in the designs.
      now fuck off.

Comment

• Patroklus
        Banned
        • Feb 2011

i just wanna say, anti-fashion quotes are the most insipid shit ever
        if i wrote something like "man i don't get painting it's just graffiti that they're polite enough to put on a canvas and pretentious enough to ascribe meaning to" you'd rightfully think i was a prole
        but some cunt says, "i don't get fashion it's just a moneymaking industry with pretensions towards art" and people want to bandy it about like it means anything

unless you have a confessional from karl lagerfeld about how he actually hates fashion and just makes shit up for the dosh and for the chance to fuck the models i don't really care what dingus mcchucklefuck has to say about it even if he's a really killer author or whatever.

Comment

• xzacx
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by H-R View Post
          90's rap? He sounds more like lil wayne/gucci mane than method man/jeru/big. Only 15 year olds would buy that statement
          He has readily admitted the influence of Bone, which if you've ever listened to him, is obvious. Also, a prime example of one '90s sound.

Comment

• xzacx
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
            Tell that to jello biafra, 7 seconds and virtually any other punk or hardcore band. Tom Morello making a quick buck with chris cornell was real subversive.

and what exactly did I sell out? I had nothing to sell.
            Exactly. Aus-Rotten was basically the biggest crust/anarcho band of the 90s, and had zero distribution. But they and their message mattered, and if you listened to that music, they were known worldwide, and still are.

RATM is even a worse offender when you consider that the singer was part of an actual good hardcore band called Inside Out prior to forming RATM. But with rap getting bigger, and the message RATM promoted being an easier sell than the Hare Krishna overtones of Inside Out, they moved towards something more commercially viable. In a thread where people's authenticity is constantly doubted, using Rage Against the Machine is such a bad example. (It's a whole different discussion, but I don't necessarily think there's something wrong with making commercial music with a message, not does being rich and from the suburbs means you couldn't agree with the message. I'm just saying that RATM is a terrible example of authentic music.)

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with liking music just because you think it sounds good. (Though I would question your taste if you think RATM sounds good.) And the same with fashion. Nothing wrong with just liking how something looks. But at the same time, I realize that when you like how something sounds or looks, AND have that deeper connection to understanding what's behind it, there's a different appreciation. But there's nothing wrong with simply liking the aesthetic being what drives the initial interest. I know that's how I was with Rick, and I think many people would be lying if they denied that about themselves.

Lastly...and I can't be the only one to notice...this thread wreaks of subtle racism, whether it's conscious or not.

Comment

• cjbreed
              • Feb 2009

i laughed out loud, really

ahhahahahahahaah. me too. maybe its because we are old. and tired. and have to struggle mightily just to give a single fuck anymore

edit - oops i quoted this thinking it was the most recent post. without realizing there is an entire page following it. sorry. i'll be leaving now

wait. one more thing. i could be wrong but i take this dave eggers quote to mean something a little closer to how i feel personally. i am still the way i was. i still have firm, clear, strong opinions and beliefs. i still care about honesty and integrity. but in many cases, like fashion, music, etc. i no longer care if someone else does not. and i no longer try to take myself so seriously. (and my morning music today has been minor threat and jay reatard. heehee)

i don't get mad at someone for liking katy perry. i don't judge someone for his ill fitting dockers. i recognize that there are things i care about that other people don't, and thats perfectly fine. i don't feel the urge to get riled up and tell them how stupid they are anymore. we've got more important things to worry about.

now, that being said, if someone does care, and is putting in the energy and effort, and making a statement, but getting it completely wrong, then i feel ok making fun of them. if you are willfully entering the debate, then you are open for judgment. lol
              Last edited by cjbreed; 02-05-2013, 11:47 AM.
              dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• H-R
                • May 2007

Originally posted by xzacx View Post
                He has readily admitted the influence of Bone, which if you've ever listened to him, is obvious. Also, a prime example of one '90s sound.
                Fair enough, just that him being from NYC, Jeru/Method/KRS are the first names that came to my mind when I saw the term 90s sound. I have to say I enjoy ASAP's album a lot more once I get rid of my expectation for 90s NY hip hop and frame it in perspective of southern hip hop and chopped/screwed stuff

Comment

• H-R
                  • May 2007

RATM are frauds as well, existing for years on big record labels as part of a capitalist money making machines.
                  I mean, even Paul Ryan likes them...

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by H-R View Post
                    I mean, even Paul Ryan likes them...
                    Obama likes Jay-Z, he's like a real gangster and shit that Bamster! Oh wait maybe there is something beyond direct emulation and representation that may make someone connect to the arts? How fucking shocking, I mean Paul cannot just listen to Steely Dan or Enrique Iglesias or whatever it is boring conservo-bots with bad hair are supposed to rock out to according to neo-hipster popular imaginary.
                    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• several_girls
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Send it to several_girls for an example of high culture.
                      My point(s) had nothing to do with the merit of A$AP's writing, nor high culture.

Comment

• limeade
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by xzacx View Post
                        ^and there's definitely a lot of three 6 mafia influence. I really don't think he sounds anything like lil wayne or gucci mane as some other person said.

regardless, the hip hop affiliation is only getting designers like rick a more mainstream audience. not that most of rocky's or kanye's audience would care for thousand dollar drop crotch pants anyway

Comment

• amen
                          • Dec 2010

well gucci mane and three six sound a lot a like especially production wise (808'setc)dj zirk, paul, juicy j etc pioneered the 90's memphis trap sound gucci got a wider audience into it in 2005+ now they're basically interchangeable id argue gucci goes even harder.

asap has tons of modern influences aswell there's def kayne and wayne and shit in there too.

Comment

• profondo nero
                            • Aug 2012

Comment

• LOVE
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
                              i just wanna say, anti-fashion quotes are the most insipid shit ever
                              if i wrote something like "man i don't get painting it's just graffiti that they're polite enough to put on a canvas and pretentious enough to ascribe meaning to" you'd rightfully think i was a prole
                              but some cunt says, "i don't get fashion it's just a moneymaking industry with pretensions towards art" and people want to bandy it about like it means anything

unless you have a confessional from karl lagerfeld about how he actually hates fashion and just makes shit up for the dosh and for the chance to fuck the models i don't really care what dingus mcchucklefuck has to say about it even if he's a really killer author or whatever.
                              art is always just craft with higher ambitions that sometimes breaks thru and transcends its always been that way

lol and I didn't even watch the video above but it's angry 5%'ers like "lord jamar" over here that make me so happy people like kanye exist

Comment

• Dreavan
                                • Mar 2012

Lord Jamar talks bullshit.

First, Hip Hop is not only "culture" but music ... and music is art. Art keeps evolving and inspiring people, it doesnt have to stay as it is and last forever because some guys decided hip hop "culture" is what they said.

+

I don't think running into baggy jeans and wearing "regular shit" make you look more Hip Hop than any other artists XD. Especially when you have to wear a sportwear pant underneath to make it look "regular" like all these streetwear guys do here in Paris.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎