Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lane
    • Aug 2010

I just dont want my sneakers to become too high profile so I don't get mugged

Comment

• avout
      • Nov 2011

I don't know that this is so alarming either. A lot of rap is about braggadocio and being larger than life; rick designs urban stuff that is often maximalist and over the top. I think it's a reasonable fit.

Disliking rap might color your views, but I don't see any merit in that hipsterish notion that something needs to be out of the mainstream to be cool, or that some people are simply "less deserving" of wearing your favorite designers.

Comment

• michael_kard
        • Oct 2010

I think it's interesting to observe the wider process of negotiation that takes place on SZ, stemming from the fact that the stuff many members like is actually the latest 'alternative' fashion trend. In my opinion, the most challenging aspect of this is to witness your favourite styles (eg. washed biker jacket) becoming redundant and, in a way, without meaning through the extensive exposure resulting from their excessive appropriation. If I saw Ann tailcoats everywhere they would definitely mean and signify something different to me.
        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
          This is so retarded, I like my rappers being ghetto and talking about violence, drugs and bitches, fashion just doesn't work (and anyway they had a go at it without reading the manual). WTF is this shit?
          This.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• #ruin
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Lane View Post
            I just dont want my sneakers to become too high profile so I don't get mugged
            When I've been walking around in dodgier parts of London at night in RO etc I've felt comfortable, whereas had I been wearing branded Gucci/LV etc I'd have felt very uncomfortable. I really want it to stay that way .

Comment

• shah
              • Jul 2009

There have been plenty of references over the years to Yohji in hip hop as well ... I don't think it's new to see name dropping, just a new day new brand
              Last edited by shah; 09-13-2012, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• MaxM
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by shahanshah View Post
                There have been plenty of references over the years to Yohji in hip hop as well ... I don't think it's new to see name dropping, just a new day new brand
                not at all the same but cbb to develop further

pointless post

WTB : http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...ad.php?t=16112

Comment

• #ruin
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by shahanshah View Post
                  Not YYPH surely? Just Y-3 which is completely different.

Comment

• Lane
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by twistedSADISTIC View Post
                    When I've been walking around in dodgier parts of London at night in RO etc I've felt comfortable, whereas had I been wearing branded Gucci/LV etc I'd have felt very uncomfortable. I really want it to stay that way .
                    gonna have to take off my shoes and run with them like im holding the olympics baton

Comment

• christianef
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      I like Cypress Hill.
                      ahahahhhhhhhhhhhahah best post ever

it works both ways too obviously, rocky mentions in a interview that rick came and visited him on set at a video shoot. fashion is integral to celebrity pop culture and largely vise versa its good exposure for the brands like some bitch wearing a dress on the red carpet. kayne's a walking ad for givenchy a lot of the time especially in the 'niggas in paris' video. even if its probably shooting a bit below their target market its good for hype. if i had to guess id say a lot of it started when dior homme did their first run of those high-top white sneakers (04) that resembled white air-force 1's the big urban shoe of that era. then ysl and lanvin and rick and everyone followed suit with a version of an expensive urban looking high-top sneaker and all the sneaker heads jump on board and rappers and it becomes synonymous with urban culture and style

Comment

• several_girls
                        • Nov 2010

Does this entire forum really need reminding that one tributary of Rick's design inspiration is from LA street gangs? Where did you think ideas about baggy shorts, huge sneakers, baseball caps, basketball tank tops, came from? Its just finally come full circle.

I was giving everyone here the benefit of the doubt and assumed we're all talking over and above this information, but after reading this thread I'm not so sure.

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Verdandi View Post
                          Let’s take it to the basics
                          You in the midst the greatness
                          My Martin was a Maison, rocked Margiela with no laces
                          Cristal go by the cases, wait hold up that was racist
                          I would prefer the Aces, ain’t no different when you taste it
                          A 40 ounce to chase it, that’s just an understatement
                          I’m early to the party but my ‘Rari is the latest
                          Somehow it seems girls in they late teens
                          Remind me your favorite jeans cause they naked cause you famous
                          Life’s a motherfucker ain’t it? These other rappers aimless
                          So tell me what your name is I’mma tell it to my stainless
                          You aim it for you bang it let that banger leave you brainless
                          It’s just me, myself, and I and motherfuckers that I came with
                          It’s lamest, niggas wanna hate on me
                          Until I tell them to they face they ain’t no G
                          Low key, niggas mad cause I’m smooth puffin’ zig zag
                          Tell ‘em quit the riff raff bitchin’ with yo bitch ass

That's all you need to know.
                          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• christianef
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by several_girls View Post
                            Does this entire forum really need reminding that one tributary of Rick's design inspiration is from LA street gangs? Where did you think ideas about baggy shorts, huge sneakers, baseball caps, basketball tank tops, came from? Its just finally come full circle.

I was giving everyone here the benefit of the doubt and assumed we're all talking over and above this information, but after reading this thread I'm not so sure.
                            we were miffed when pete doherety started wearing DH braces too you best protect your neck

Comment

• Patroklus
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2011

The problem here is that these aren't the right kind of urban gentlemen wearing our designers. We want the good kind. That don't bring down the associated image.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by christianef View Post
                                we were miffed when pete doherety started wearing DH braces too you best protect your neck
                                lol fan ownership/possessive lover traits among the DH cognoscenti back in around 2005/2006 is hilarious in retrospect. shout outs to Chinorlz

edit - it's been 6-7 years already. Time is a motherfucker.
                                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎