• Ahimsa
          Vegan Police
          • Sep 2011

StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• mrbeuys
            • May 2008

Oh hello sexy.
            I don't see much of this hitting stores and admittedly most of it is just plain too much of everything but as a show this is quite something. All bees, flowers and honey - works for me.
            Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Thanks for the video (and the photos, ahimsa)! You gotta see the video to realize how sexy this collection is. It's brilliant on its own terms in fabrics and construction and I love the theme. Alas, I suppose poor Ms. Burton, who is undoubtedly very talented, will be forever compared to McQueen and this somehow lacks McQueen's grandiosity.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
                Vegan Police
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                It's brilliant on its own terms in fabrics and construction and I love the theme. Alas, I suppose poor Ms. Burton, who is undoubtedly very talented, will be forever compared to McQueen and this somehow lacks McQueen's grandiosity.
                I love what she's doing and this collection, but it's missing a bit of the savagery of her predecessor. I really wanna see some absurd showmanship again, like McQueen's elaborate displays or Chalayan's transformer dresses.
                StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

I have to say, there's a rigidity in Ms Burtons designs, that I really can't digest. The way those flowers are just placed blatantly on rows, on the gridlike crinolins, is not how Lee would've done it. What I admired with him, was how he always kept a flow in the most complicated of designs, no matter how many components there were.
                  Those beehive hats look poorely made, and I think it's time for Ms Burton to let go of those belts that she insists on. Those transparent platforms have a hoochie-warning. Overall, I think this is quite dated, with the exception for the jacquards and fabrics in the first few silhouettes, and the jackets with draped shoulder/chest construction. I really miss Lee :(

Comment

• Fade to Black
                    • Sep 2008

I absolutely love the shit out of this. Sexy in a perverse kinda way and admire it for its lack of regard for convention. I'd like to see a woman in these clothes out in the world.
                    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Qwerty
                      • Oct 2011

To me, it's a dumbed-down facile version of McQueen, whose provocative works and show-staging reflected a certain depth and perversity, an invitation to enjoy, commiserate and contemplate. This is just Elie Saab with a crinoline fetish. Why not grant Sarah Burton her own label since she has her followers, and offer a more imaginative and worthwhile young designer the opportunity to continue McQueen's spirit and vision?

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Because AMcQ is owned by PPR and just became profitable two years ago or so. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a meeting behind closed doors before Burton's promotion where she was reminded that she's in the business of making money not fashion. Still, like I said she's clearly talented and it's a strong collection on her terms. And which young designer, except perhaps Olivier Theyskens, do you think could pick up where McQueen left off? Why not his right hand woman of many years?
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

this collection is very much in the spirit of McQueen.....the only issue with it is that is a very heavy handed type of McQueen collection
                          which is to be expected because McQueen himself is no longer around (RIP),
                          the thing He was good at was the spontaneity and offbeatness in his work that lead to a certain kind of surprise in the collection that never made it seem too studied or calculated.......this is what separate really good designers like Ms burton is from the great ones......

Although the circumstances are different, it is kind of a similar thing going on at Margiela, the collections are really good but the lack the darkness and grit that they would if Marin himself was still there.....
                          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• mrbeuys
                            • May 2008

Man, that poor woman really doesn't get the love she so clearly deserves. Of course this isn't the same AMcQ of years ago, but then nothing is. Past is past - it happened, move on. I think this is fantastic (in the very literal sense) and deserves praise, not some lame comparison to what would have, could have been (and before you point it out, I know I am guilty of doing the very same when I looked at the most recent Lang collection, but come on...).
                            Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Dec 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a meeting behind closed doors before Burton's promotion where she was reminded that she's in the business of making money not fashion.
                              Isn't it sad that his death was treated with such gross spectacularity that its now unfathomable for Ms. Burton to do her job without her inadequacy being compared to our dearly beloved tortured genius "Lee".

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎