X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • interest1
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by 525252 View Post
    I do have to say though, people seem to be repeatedly interpreting things I say as hostile but I'm actually a complete dweeb and I never intend it that way, the tone of it just gets lost and misread over the internet

apologies for any offence taken in any case!

Emoticons save lives. Start using them.
    sain't

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by 525252 View Post
      I do have to say though, people seem to be repeatedly interpreting things I say as hostile but I'm actually a complete dweeb and I never intend it that way, the tone of it just gets lost and misread over the internet

apologies for any offence taken in any case!
      Well, if several people interpret your writing as hostile, perhaps they have a point and you should put more thought into the tone of your posts?
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Uncontrol
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Because AMcQ is owned by PPR and just became profitable two years ago or so. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a meeting behind closed doors before Burton's promotion where she was reminded that she's in the business of making money not fashion.
        I'm just not convinced this is a bad thing. McQueen himself was an incredible designer, but Alexander McQueen is a fashion label that exists to both express a creative vision and be profitable. If it cannot do both of these things, there is a failure in the chain.

I've actually found Sarah's interpretation of McQueen's universe to be pretty refreshing. It takes a lot of McQueen's ideology but brings it a little more down to earth. For me, at least, clothing that is not really wearable is not interesting as "fashion" as it's more of a sculpture than anything else. It was always hard to appreciate Alexander's work from a wearability standpoint.

For all the complaints here that the new McQueen has become too commercial, what were you doing to support the label when Alexander was around? Talking about how great something is on the internet does little to provide sustenance.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Uncontrol View Post
          I'm just not convinced this is a bad thing. McQueen himself was an incredible designer, but Alexander McQueen is a fashion label that exists to both express a creative vision and be profitable. If it cannot do both of these things, there is a failure in the chain.

I've actually found Sarah's interpretation of McQueen's universe to be pretty refreshing. It takes a lot of McQueen's ideology but brings it a little more down to earth. For me, at least, clothing that is not really wearable is not interesting as "fashion" as it's more of a sculpture than anything else. It was always hard to appreciate Alexander's work from a wearability standpoint.

For all the complaints here that the new McQueen has become too commercial, what were you doing to support the label when Alexander was around? Talking about how great something is on the internet does little to provide sustenance.
          Heh, you'd be surprised...

As for the rest, there were always plenty of stunning and wearable clothes in the McQueen boutique in New York during Lee's reign. And enough scull scarves and sunglasses for commercial padding.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Uncontrol
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Heh, you'd be surprised...
            Well, if it leads to a sale, yes :)

Comment

• #ruin
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by laika View Post
              it seems you still aren't reading very carefully, because this was actually zam's argument.

What is with all the extraneous hostility, guys?

It seems Burton and Rick have gone maternal but the sz boys are going primal? I haven't seen so much aggression around here since the days when we were fighting about Bernhard Willhelm....
              time to search sz archives

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Try the Battle of Comme des Garcons. About to do a Merz here and indulge in some nostalgia :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

yeah, golden days, indeed.
                  ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by merz
                    what have i just stumbled into.

first thing popping to mind is zam's line of logic in argument being that consumers cannot pass judgement on merits of clothing, technical or otherwise, for reasons of not being able to create comparable clothing. doesn't this logic leave those not in the business of making clothes without the right to holding or expressing a valid opinion?
                    Q,

I dont think you want to attribute only those statements to me as if that is all i said............that's not the logic but the superkick........but I must behave cause Laika said she is a woman and i want to forever remain a kind gentleman especially to the ladies.

below that I clearly statement the reasons why i think Sarah Burton is more than a capable and worthy designer to carry on McQueen's legacy under his name.....................

by no means am I saying consumers cannot pass judgements or whatever, I am just tired of these irresponsible statements by keyboard pundits that come too easy

anyways, its 11:30 and I need to go home after a long day
                    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎