• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by nyarkies View Post
    Then maybe Boris (and Rick) should stop making the usual pieces (J2, J1, p13, etc) available for the stores to buy? Shouldn't that encourage stores' buys have more variety and be interesting? I know these items tend to pay the bill but I think as it keeps going, it just ends up becoming stale like M.A.+, LUC, etc.
    This isn't really up to the designers. Merchandisers and sales are typically dictating what styles stay and go. For instance, Rick actually does want to stop selling Geobaskets, but they're one of the bread and butter of his sales, so why make less money? What you're suggesting only makes sense financially if incremental growth is markedly slowing or plummeting sales. Besides, it's these kinds of products that allow Rick to put on the kind of runway shows that he does. I'm sure Boris is just at some sort of plateau right now, just give him a minute. It's not like he's made any dreadful collections like some of the other designers here.
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• upsilonkng
      • May 2010

really couldnt agree more, look at Julius what is it that they do? whats their staple? cargo whatever? always hated that and now they are just following trends and chasing which has basically destroyed the value of even their good stuff from a few years ago, u cant even sell a fw10 leather for $500 these days.. its not a bad thing to have things people recognize and still want for years and years, i think that allows bbs and rick to actually take chances w/ runway and be more creative because they know that shit will float even if the new stuff won't.
      of course i would like nothing more than for the geobasket to go away but theyre so dead now + ramones they are actually kind of cool again in all black or all white.

Comment

• TheInformalGenius
        • Oct 2015

IMO BBSNY doesn't seem to carry a decent selection of the pieces that aren't the typical items mentioned above. I would expect a flagship to offer more variety than the usual BBS essentials.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by TheInformalGenius View Post
          IMO BBSNY doesn't seem to carry a decent selection of the pieces that aren't the typical items mentioned above. I would expect a flagship to offer more variety than the usual BBS essentials.
          They do but they sell out before they hit online. People camp the shipments.
          Originally posted by unwashed
          Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
          Originally posted by Ahimsa
          I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• darkart
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
            People camp the shipments? You mean like acronym.
            To be honest, the most unrealistic priced item are their leather jackets. Unbelievably high, customers will go for carol leather which is similar priced or even lower. I don't think there are 500-700 sample pieces in showroom. 3-400 should be possible. but they are just the same every season. Shirts with different length and colorway. TS1,2 and 3 in other colorways. Thin sweaters in different cut and colorways. They look the same on rack, maybe with a thumb hole and without. Different cashmere cotton mixing. object dyed or not. All the tall boots with thick soles and derbies with super rounded heads and ccp spin-offs one piece extended outsole. Basically similar thing as what we seeing in store but different treatments, material and colorway. Not to mention a lot of pieces will not be produced in black in SS18. I bet FW18 will be a black,white and grey version of SS18 all over again.

Comment

• TheInformalGenius
              • Oct 2015

I humbly beg to differ, if the items sell out before making it to the online catalog it would only be logical for them to simply do a re-order being that they're selling out so quickly.
              We should all be able to agree that there are several BBS stockits that have more diverse offerings than the flagship. The nontypical garments don't seem to be flying off the racks at such speed.
              Last edited by TheInformalGenius; 09-29-2017, 04:25 AM.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by TheInformalGenius View Post
                I humbly beg to differ, if the items sell out before making it to the online catalog it would only be logical for them to simply do a re-order being that they're selling out so quickly.
                We should all be able to agree that there are several BBS stockits that have more diverse offerings than the flagship. The nontypical garments don't seem to be flying off the racks at such speed.
                sometimes you cant just reorder man.
                I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                  • Apr 2013

I think that this article IMMHO is very much in line with the philosophy of Boris Bidjan Saberi, thanks for the share it was an interesting perspective

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                  Everything single thing that you guys are complaining about seems to fall right in line with this:

http://www.thefashionlaw.com/home/th...s-of-marketing

Comment

• TheInformalGenius
                    • Oct 2015

I think that this article IMMHO is very much in line with the philosophy of Boris Bidjan Saberi, thanks for the share it was an interesting perspective
                    I second that Trigger. Dudley thanks for the share.

Comment

• barryooi
                      • Jan 2017

These rules seem to only apply to luxury brands that are already entrenched in the market. I honestly can't think of a single young brand that has succeeded by following any of these rules.

Plus, they're geared more toward prestige+scarcity rather than artisanal craftsmanship.

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
                        • Dec 2012

Interesting read. thanks for the share. I haven't read parts 2-4 yet but from part 1:
                        20. Do not test.
                        Luxury companies do not test among consumers. If you test, you are a mass prestige company. Coach does use a lot of tests, as any traditional marketing company: In fact, 80 percent of its new products are tested. Louis Vuitton, Chanel, or Hermès never test.

This is simply not true! I have tested stuff for Vuitton as my client, so I know what I'm talking about. :)

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Nomadic Planet View Post
                          Interesting read. thanks for the share. I haven't read parts 2-4 yet but from part 1:
                          20. Do not test.
                          Luxury companies do not test among consumers. If you test, you are a mass prestige company. Coach does use a lot of tests, as any traditional marketing company: In fact, 80 percent of its new products are tested. Louis Vuitton, Chanel, or Hermès never test.

This is simply not true! I have tested stuff for Vuitton as my client, so I know what I'm talking about. :)
                          I think they mean testing out products like a bag outside to see how it does, they are required by law to put a care tag and in order to crunch out that information the fabric needs to be tested and to make sure the sewn fabric stays sewn together they test that as well because it's part of compliance laws for several countries. So these kinds do happen but that specific section was written rather vaguely

Comment

• barryooi
                            • Jan 2017

I think they mean testing out products like a bag outside to see how it does, they are required by law to put a care tag and in order to crunch out that information the fabric needs to be tested and to make sure the sewn fabric stays sewn together they test that as well because it's part of compliance laws for several countries. So these kinds do happen but that specific section was written rather vaguely
                            Given that the article is about marketing, I think it's about testing market reception to a product, not testing product use.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by barryooi View Post
                              Given that the article is about marketing, I think it's about testing market reception to a product, not testing product use.
                              This is the very least of our problems at the moment if this Cataluña thing keeps escalating we might have nothing to talk about in this thread anymore...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎