Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gavagai
    • May 2010

With each passing day I become more and more skeptical of BBS. I have a couple items that I love but I find it a bit early in the game for him to be publishing a retrospective book (or whatever you want to call it) and releasing this 11 line (be it diffusion or what).

The collection as presented on Antonioli is uninspired and possibly something quite worse. Whatever the intentions or reasons are the end result appears quite poor.

Comment

• Crowzer
      • Feb 2011

The 11 black and white tee is quite nice !

Comment

• xeraphim
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
        With each passing day I become more and more skeptical of BBS. I have a couple items that I love but I find it a bit early in the game for him to be publishing a retrospective book (or whatever you want to call it) and releasing this 11 line (be it diffusion or what).
        nothing to be skeptical about really. fwiw damir debuted the same season and launched silent much earlier in comparison; if anything i'd guess boris is probably working on a really similar business model?

Comment

• jskidder1
          • Jan 2011

how long was rick in business before releasing slab? i recall it was a similar amount of time. i'm personally not a fan of 11 from what i've seen thus far, but it appears to be no worse than drkshdw.

Comment

• gavagai
            • May 2010

"nothing to be skeptical about really. fwiw damir debuted the same season and launched silent much earlier in comparison; if anything i'd guess boris is probably working on a really similar business model?"
            If the model is to sell imitations at prices that aren't much cheaper than your mainline but look poor and constructed from cheaper fabrics I say boo. Honestly, outside of the extravagant coats/jackets most of BBS' best pieces are the basics. To take these and create something lesser at 70% of the price is just a waste if the output is shit. I'm ok with artistic failure - creating interesting/challenging pieces some of which work and some don't but failing at basics is just wrong.
            "how long was rick in business before releasing slab? i recall it was a similar amount of time.”“i'm personally not a fan of 11 from what i've seen thus far, but it appears to be no worse than drkshdw."
            It isn't really about "time" as a stagnant object. It is about spreading yourself too thin too quick. Rick has the artistic ability to have legitimate runway shows while continuing to produce for his mainline and still doing LOTS of incredible pieces released through the DRKSHDW line. Not all designers/artists have the ability to maintain creative excellence while expanding their business this fast.
            A mere three years ago nobody knew who the fuck BBS was outside of a few people on this forum and few retailers and possibly in Germany. Lots of expansion and very rapid. My opinion is that the product is suffering - mainline and whatever this 11 crap is but hey...

Also, while I like some BBS stuff comparing the monstrosity of “11” to DRKSHDW is just preposterous. Large parts of the DRKSHDW collection are more interesting than half the “new stuff people seem to hype.

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

If the model is to sell imitations at prices that aren't much cheaper than your mainline but look poor and constructed from cheaper fabrics I say boo.
              its absolutely fine if you don't like it for what it is., but I'd reccomend reading a bit about the line to see what it really is about. its been discussed countless times in this thread as well.
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

The collection as presented on Antonioli is uninspired and possibly something quite worse. Whatever the intentions or reasons are the end result appears quite poor.
                He did not seek to have a book published. It as an opportunity that was offered to him. This, too, has been discussed, just like the 11 line ethos. Obviously, your judgements are uninformed. (I am not a fan of 11 either, but I get the idea)

I happen to think that BBS right now is doing the best hardcore shit out there in terms of cuts, materials, construction and aesthetic when styled right.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kunk75
                  Banned
                  • May 2008

certainly. seems more rick than rick these days (rick seems more gareth than rick)

Comment

• cjbreed
                    • Feb 2009

agreed...
                    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Resonkuken
                      • Oct 2012

I don´t get the criticism for the book. Yeah, he hasn´t been around for 20 years (yet) but where does it say you have to be for a book a bout your work to come out?? People should just check it out and go through it thoroughly. It´s pretty amazing and I loved the whole written intro because it covered his work form an array of aspects.

Comment

• coro
                        • Dec 2008

a little interview from him about 11 (in german):

and a video from the show in berlin:

Die Mode-Installation und Hip-Hop-Performance des Modemachers Boris Bidjan Saberi

Comment

• upsilonkng
                          • May 2010

well at least we've found something worse than his "11" line.. german rap and models.. ah.. I guess.. kind of breakdancing. wow that was bad makes the Bieb sound like ghostface?

Comment

• kuriz
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
                            well at least we've found something worse than his "11" line.. german rap and models.. ah.. I guess.. kind of breakdancing. wow that was bad makes the Bieb sound like ghostface?
                            That wasn't very nice!

Overall 11 just seems too basic and too regular compared to all other brands selling hoodies and long tees. I mean, I love Boris and all (and it might be the styling, I don't know), but looking through those Antonioli pictures I might as well go out and look for some Urban Outfitters clothes as I get the same feeling about watching those as the 11 pictures which is a shame. I can just hope that 11 will get another look later on and give me more of a BBS feeling.

Comment

• upsilonkng
                              • May 2010

I actually love Boris too.. I dont think anyone makes better jeans or pants which makes 11 more painful. for now from what we've seen there's literally nothing I would take for even $100 and at least Silent started cheap and moved into the silly area it's in now w/ $300 t-shirts made of non organic cotton, this just jumped right into the $240 cotton t-shirt range w/ gigantic 11 written all over it. There's no doubt in my mind that drkshdw is still very much king. I thought at worst he would offer a $400 hoodie that's cotton and fits like the real deal not a $510 hoodie that doesn't seem to fit anyone and some polyester back pack for $510? seems a bit much. And usually Antonioni is cheaper than luisaviaroma and darklands so these prices might be increasing? at least offer some p13 knock off jeans that are waxed that we can actually destroy. Is that too much to ask?

Comment

• Pumpfish
                                • Sep 2010

I didn't follow the 11 diffusion debate to it's conclusion, but looking at this preview it starts to make sense to me.

11 is more street and less fashion. The cuts and treatments are less extreme, instead he has built versatility and practicality into the garments.

It still shows his signature, but the intent is different.

It really works for me.

I hope retailers respect this difference and don't muddle the lines together.
                                spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎