Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hertz
    • Dec 2018

A quick update on my experience with BBS. Unfortunately, not a happy one.

After three months of waiting time, my boots are finally in Moscow and epopee is close to it's logical end.

The sole was completely replaced. However, now it doesn't match nor its original color, neither the boots themselves.

Original sole was gloss black with brown tint. Boots themselves are gloss black.

The new sole is matte black and looks completely different from what is was. More than that, it looks ridiculous if you ask me.

Somebody could say that thee difference is minor, but what is acceptable in case of $100 boots is not acceptable for the ones that cost $1000. Isn't attention to details something you expected to get when you purchase BBS?

More than that, the quality of repair is also disappointing. I don't know what has happened to the leather here, but it's definitely something bad.

For me the whole concept of the shoes is gone.
    I wonder what would BBS himself say if he saw it.

I don't know whether I should try to somehow escalate the issue somehow or just let it go - and never buy BBS stuff again.

And what would you do?

Yours,

Comment

• upsilonkng
      • May 2010

i think buying bbs shoes is a deadend, there are way more complaints than anything else, everyone knows they arent comfortable, fall apart , is designed poorly and resale at close to 20% of original retail so i wouldnt do it. the shoes now look bad for sure, but bbs is obviously not what they were a few years ago and are cutting corners whereever they can.

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
        • Dec 2012

mmmh I disagree.

I think they look nice.... and don't think they are ruined... I went thought a similar situation, I had an issue with the sole on one of my bambas and sent them for repair, they replaced the whole sole on both shoes. I was surprised as I didn't expect that, and they also replaced with a sole that partially matched the initial design in terms of colors.

My guess is that they don't have the exact sole in the exact color anymore, and they replace with the most similar one they have (i read somewhere their production is really limited so I guess once they done something they just don't have it anymore).

also replacing a sole without altering at least a little the leather around... well I guess it happens....

initial colors: https://www.instagram.com/p/BiZRluQFX2A/

new color (a lot whiter) https://www.instagram.com/p/BvtysqcgE2V/

At first I also was upset, but with wear I think they dont really look bad, and it's like having an even more unique "one of a kind" pair that was not even commercialized.

On the quality and comfort issues, overall yes bbs gambas tend to be more delicate. I own 3 pairs, and find the comfort to be only an issue on one pair (https://www.instagram.com/p/BTLzKW2F-x6/) but with use and break-in it's getting better.
        my 2 other bambas are really comfy and quality has improved over time, they feel sturdy, resistant, and I hope will last forever.

that being said, yes Rick footwear is less of a pain in the ass comfort and quality-wise... but also less artisanal....
        Last edited by Nomadic Planet; 10-22-2019, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I must say the shoes look good to me, but I can only judge by the pictures. I have also heard quite a few complaints about the Bambas, though I don't have firsthand experience with these.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
            i think buying bbs shoes is a deadend, there are way more complaints than anything else, everyone knows they arent comfortable, fall apart , is designed poorly and resale at close to 20% of original retail so i wouldnt do it. the shoes now look bad for sure, but bbs is obviously not what they were a few years ago and are cutting corners whereever they can.
            do you ever have anything good to say about other people's work?
            the shoes sole look different but they do not look bad, and people should buy clothes thinking about resale value. that's one of the damn problems with this industry now
            Buy less, buy things you need or really like and keep them and stop thinking about "resale value"

you are a musician, a good one but not a great one, so take it easy and stop holding people to standards that you yourself never and probably will never get to. the perfect world that people like you want does not exist.
            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

OP,
              I cannot speak for Boris but maybe it would have been better to replace the whole shoe itself, but then, you would not have gotten exactly the same shoe, even with a new one.
              I hope you can speak to them and work out a satisfactory solution. repairs and alterations are often not identical in results to an original part of a product and this must be taken into consideration when proceeding with them.

I wouldnt say to stop shopping with them altogether, express your concerns and try to work it out. hopefully a satisfactory resolution can be found. there are a lot of artisanal brands who do not do repairs at all, so the ones who do should be appreciated

Comment

• Hertz
                • Dec 2018

Well, regardless of whether someone likes how they look now, which is subjective, there are few facts aboutthe service which are objective:

1) Nobody told me that they will take a month off. Instead, the direct opposite was communicated - "we will get back to you in a few days" before a 5-week silence.
                2) Nobody asked me whether I am fine with the solution to replace the sole with a one of a different color. I get that this is something which at least wants to be perceived as artisanal, production is small, not all materials are available 24/7, but man, God invented a tongue for a reason. Just communicate this, ask whether the owner is fine, find solution together. Damn, it takes 5 minutes of an employee time to write a simple email.

"Dear NAME, we know that we promised to get back to you in a few days, but diagnostics took more time than planned, so we will get back to you once our vacation is over on September 2nd"
                "Dear NAME, unfortunately, due to artisanal nature of our garments, blablabla, the exact color of your sole is not available. By default we plan to use color X, see image attached, let us know if this works for you."

Is that really that hard?

zamb, well, I agree that this could be worse if they refused to do repair at all (although then probably I would try to do it elsewhere, which potentially could have turned out better).
                But! Keep in mind that the repair was required for a $1200 shoes, which became unwearable after 5-month exploitation in office environment. If you do smth of that quality and then refuse to do repairs, I am pretty sure your brand will not last long.
                Last edited by Hertz; 10-24-2019, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• jap808
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Hertz View Post
                  zamb, well, I agree that this could be worse if they refused to do repair at all (although then probably I would try to do it elsewhere, which potentially could have turned out better).
                  But! Keep in mind that the repair was required for a $1200 shoes, which became unwearable after 5-month exploitation in office environment. If you do smth of that quality and then refuse to do repairs, I am pretty sure your brand will last long.
                  My bambas had the same problems and send them back for repairment for TWO times.
                  First time, they injected some material (polyurethane?) in the sole. After 1 month, this material start to crumble and I have to re-send the shoes back.
                  Second time, they did NOT do any repairment and send the shoes back to me, without saying anything (Ça va sans dire).
                  Now I have a pair of Bamba with -at least- 20% of sole missing (on the heel) and -at every step- I feel like I put my left foot in a hole...

So, yes: it definitly could have been worst :D

PS: have to say that I had other assistance request with BBS (button replacement for a Tejana and a pair of pants) and they were really helpful.

Comment

• upsilonkng
                    • May 2010

[QUOTE=zamb;536133]do you ever have anything good to say about other people's work?
                    the shoes sole look different but they do not look bad, and people should buy clothes thinking about resale value. that's one of the damn problems with this industry now
                    Buy less, buy things you need or really like and keep them and stop thinking about "resale value"

zamb look at the msgs below to detail whats obviously wrong w/ bbs service and shoes.
                    Last edited by upsilonkng; 11-02-2019, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• Monoral
                      • Mar 2014

I love everything Boris but the shoes can be a hit or miss, sometimes good sometimes bad. I had completely given up on Bambas at this point, the squeakiness alone drives me crazy!

James Kearns is my go-to sneakers guys these days, superb quality and great customer service.

Comment

• 13we2
                        • Sep 2015

Is it that you don't like the small ridges on the sole surface? That's their latest design and I thought I would be overjoyed if these were my shoes.

Telling someone you'll be back in a few days but then disappearing for a few months instead does sound shitty that's for sure.

I have quite a few the mainline bambas now earlist being from ss16, they actually are pretty comfy and sturdy in my experience, but the one thing I always do to ensure this is I always vibram (the 4mm soft rubber) them day one. The only issue I had was a ripped lace hole but I glued it myself.

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

eggs are always young ones...........
                          Wisdom is justified by her children

Comment

• campiiitos
                            • Aug 2012

Hi Everybody,

I barely post anything but I think it is important that I share my experience a few months ago with BBS customer service as some might find it helpful. It is lengthy but I think details matter.

I purchased a SUIT1 F1401M SS18 online and immediately after trying it on I felt extremely itchy. I could not keep the blazer on for more than a few seconds. I noticed that there were a lot of thin clear bristles poking through the rigid organza lining. I tried trimming them with scissors but the blazer was still unbearable to wear.

I contacted the BBS atelier in Barcelona and they asked me to ship the blazer to them for inspection and repair. As soon as they received the piece I got an email from them stating that the bristles poking through the lining were horse hair interwoven in the inner fabric of the blazer and that they were going to work on it. A week later contacted me with the good news, the blazer was repaired. I was told that they trimmed the hairs and seam tapped the armpit area where the issue was more prominent. They also trimmed the extra hairs throughout the blazer's inner lining as well. I paid for the shipping charges only and I got my blazer back a few days later. When I tried the blazer on I noticed that the armpit area felt slightly thicker due to the tape but the bristles still poked through in the armpit and neck area. Even though I was able to stand the itching for a little longer it was not fully resolved. I contacted them again and was told that their production department wanted to look at it again to make sure my issue was fully resolved and that even Boris himself wanted to look at it. The item was shipped again and I heard from them again in a few days.

They told me that the rigid organza lining was the main issue as its composition causes more friction with the inner lining and it causes the horse hairs to poke through. Boris recommended to leave it as is, it is considered a piece of art due to its one time dying process. I stated that I love the lining but if I can't wear the blazer for more than a minute it has no purpose. They offered to reinforce the armpit area again, tape any areas that were possible and also to replace the lining with a new fabric that will be used in upcoming seasons. They even sent me a picture of what it looks like. Their pattern design and production departments worked on it for 4 weeks and then I go the blazer back after paying the shipping charges. When I opened the box I was really excited and hopping the issue would be resolved. My expectations were exceed by far. The new lining looks amazing and it is so sturdy yet comfortable. They literally tore the blazer apart and put it back together. The armpit areas were reinforced even more, it really feels indestructible, like a tank. But for the most part the horse hair issue was resolved and no more itching.I can finally wear this blazer with only a T-Shirt and feel really comfortable.

I am glad I had this experience and all I can say is that their team was really responsive, informative and helpful. Despite the main person formerly handling this issue leaving BBS in the midst of this, the replacement knew exactly the background story and continued the same level of professionalism until resolved. They really made sure I was a fully satisfied customer. This gives me piece of mind as I have invested quite a good amount of money on BBS pieces.

I hope this was helpful or informative for some of you.

Campiiitos
                            Last edited by campiiitos; 10-30-2019, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

Im glad you posted this.
                              I edited my post above because I am nit interested in a back and forth with naysayers in the thread to discuss another designers work.
                              my issue is that its so easy for people who are disatisfied to quickly go and talk shit about a designers work, but the great work and customer care often given behind the scenes goes unspoken.

thank you Campiitos

Comment

• Hertz
                                • Dec 2018

Originally posted by 13we2 View Post
                                I have quite a few the mainline bambas now earlist being from ss16, they actually are pretty comfy and sturdy in my experience, but the one thing I always do to ensure this is I always vibram (the 4mm soft rubber) them day one. The only issue I had was a ripped lace hole but I glued it myself.
                                Sorry for offtop, but what / where is the best way to Vibram BBS? Should I do it? Customer support advised me against it. WDYT?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎