X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nomadic Planet
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by tornaremavencer View Post
    Hopefully the company is not in trouble or anything, heard the sales are going worse and worse from season to season :(
    would that be the reason why BBS NY will no longer be ?
    I mean, no runway, closing the only own-store they have.... all these things really sound bad to me...

EDIT: on a similar note, I just learned that Lost & found Ria Dunn is also bye-bye. Apparently the brand is shutting off...

Comment

• Zak
      • May 2018

[QUOTE=Nomadic Planet;534877]would that be the reason why BBS NY will no longer be ?
      I mean, no runway, closing the only own-store they have.... all these things really sound bad to me...

EDIT: on a similar note, I just learned that Lost & found Ria Dunn is also bye-bye. Apparently the brand is shutting off...[/QUOTE
      Not sure about their finance but to be correct BBSNY was not their own, it was independent from BBS mono-brand store.

Comment

• XIX
        • Nov 2016

BBSNY is a franchised operation that worked closely with the brand HQ. Karim and his team are parting ways and will no longer exclusively be a BBS stockist. They will continue to hold on to the brick and mortar space for a new concept boutique - Store employees also confirmed they will continue to carry the brand. The SA I chatted with said the new name is going to be ‘Consulate’, but haven’t seen any developments or confirmation on that front.

Would not surprise me if BBS was quietly winding down operations though, or at least hibernating before pivoting in some new direction. Being so adamantly resistant (and then late) to the e-commerce game really did them no favors - the store still has stock from up to 3 years ago in their current ‘clearance’ sale.

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by XIX View Post
          BBSNY is a franchised operation that worked closely with the brand HQ. Karim and his team are parting ways and will no longer exclusively be a BBS stockist. They will continue to hold on to the brick and mortar space for a new concept boutique - Store employees also confirmed they will continue to carry the brand. The SA I chatted with said the new name is going to be ‘Consulate’, but haven’t seen any developments or confirmation on that front.
          I can confirm that because they sent a newsletter explaining they are becoming a multi brand store called Consulate in July. (and also they posted on IG I think).

Would not surprise me if BBS was quietly winding down operations though, or at least hibernating before pivoting in some new direction. Being so adamantly resistant (and then late) to the e-commerce game really did them no favors - the store still has stock from up to 3 years ago in their current ‘clearance’ sale.
          I would think it has more to do with their price positioning and finding a clientele....

Overall, I think this "dark artisanal avant-garde" niche's problem might be that it tends to appeal to a rather young clientele, and young people tend to not have that much money + the saturation of options (all these new brands popping up doing similar stuff at cheaper prices)... and the fact that BBS is, honestly, really fucking expensive.... !!

Although I recall reading somewhere that INK in HK sells hundreds of BBS items so maybe there's still a market somewhere in Asia for BBS...?

Comment

• Hertz
            • Dec 2018

Well, regarding the young audience: yes and no. There are still enough young people with money, or older people who are into dark fashion to feed a hundred of Boris's. That's the reason why brands like Vetements or Balenciaga thrive - they also target young people, just do a better marketing.

On the side note: I don't mind to spend $500 on T-shirt if it will serve me for 10 years. I don't mind to spend $3k on shoes if they will serve me for 10 years.

The problem starts when $300 Isaac Sellam t-shirt serves a month. Or when $1,5k Bamba sneakers...well, that's what the previous page is all about.

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Hertz View Post
              Well, regarding the young audience: yes and no. There are still enough young people with money, or older people who are into dark fashion to feed a hundred of Boris's. That's the reason why brands like Vetements or Balenciaga thrive - they also target young people, just do a better marketing.
              Vêtements or Balenciaga (and supreme, bape, yeezy, streewear/sneakers) are the type of aesthetics capturing the market of young people spending big dollars, not Boris.

I dont really know what's happening to the BBS business, but I just figure the market for this aesthetics is small, and competition is hard. Plenty of newcomers (like Army of Me, Leon Louis, Minoar, Tom Krom, etc.) offering a similar vibe for less, also the big boom of reselling (Grailed). I myself am a big fan of hi work, and although I make enough money to spend way above the average consumer, I cannot afford buying full retail BBS enough to satisfy my appetite for his stuff. Also Grailed and Facebook groups make it kinda pointless paying full retail. Maybe its people like me that are causing the trouble, but hey, that's my whole point, its too expensive and the market for this is so small that the brand cannot survive...

If BBS business was healthy maybe they wouldn't be canceling the show this season and shutting down their unique branded store in NY, maybe they would be opening other stores in Paris, London, LA., etc.

I dont know, I'm just making assumptions here.

I honestly hope they are going to get better, I would be really traumatized if the brand was to shut down, before I had time to actually save enough to buy some of his leathers. and more P13's. haha.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                • Apr 2013

Would not surprise me if BBS was quietly winding down operations though, or at least hibernating before pivoting in some new direction.
                Originally posted by Nomadic Planet View Post
                so maybe there's still a market somewhere in Asia for BBS...?

I would be really traumatized if the brand was to shut down, before I had time to actually save enough to buy some of his leathers. and more P13's. haha.

i doubt it
                Originally posted by unwashed
                Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                Originally posted by Ahimsa
                I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• tornaremavencer
                  • Aug 2012

Yes, I think grailed is a big "issue" here, and the fact that Boris doesn't release anything really new with ecery collection. Same cut of leathers, tejana, jeans, parkas from season to season just with an addition of a different colorful options that only a few people seek, and a weak 11 line which only the shoes are worth buying. And all those pieces are already available on grailed in good condition or new, at a fraction of the price... Also the lack of exclusiveness plays a big factor, as Boris stuff never really sells out, mostly everything is always available at multiple retailers so there is no incentive to buy now or you'll miss it.

But again, those are just my observations and I don't know shit

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by tornaremavencer View Post
                    Yes, I think grailed is a big "issue" here, and the fact that Boris doesn't release anything really new with ecery collection. Same cut of leathers, tejana, jeans, parkas from season to season just with an addition of a different colorful options that only a few people seek, and a weak 11 line which only the shoes are worth buying. And all those pieces are already available on grailed in good condition or new, at a fraction of the price... Also the lack of exclusiveness plays a big factor, as Boris stuff never really sells out, mostly everything is always available at multiple retailers so there is no incentive to buy now or you'll miss it.

But again, those are just my observations and I don't know shit
                    I agree with mostly everything, except for the rarity part. Boris is and remains a small brand, so not everything is available everywhere, depending on the buyers selection in each store, so it is actually sometimes hard to get your hands on items, bc the size sold out (size 43 anyone?), the color sold out, or the specific fabric is only available in one store.... and it sold out... or it is just too damn expensive.

BBS stuff at Ink-HK always tends to sell out, same at Vertice London. I guess it depends on the retailers....

i would think the brand's size is at stake here, how big can a brand like BBS become and still be a sustainable business?

on the Grailed issue, it affects all the brands, I would think you have to be Rick big to survive that.... but same question applies: how can a brand like Rick survive given the huge amount of left overs ending up in glamood/yoox or being resold on grailed ? if there is a brand that has become almost pointless to buy full retail, it would be Rick, given the huge availability of his stuff on the resell market.

size maybe is on his side, bc he is big enough to have still many one-time buyers / not super fans /older audience not internet savvy buying full retail across the globe at many retailers or department stores....

EDIT: size and "innovation" or novelty. Rick does new stuff every season (making it worth it to spend on new stuff at retail price), while Boris tends to have a too slow evolution, that is true....

Comment

• Monoral
                      • Mar 2014

There are cool new things, except that nobody buys them.

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Monoral View Post
                        There are cool new things, except that nobody buys them.
                        because they're too expensive? because there's too much of it and not enough audience? a bit of both ?

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Nomadic Planet View Post
                          because they're too expensive? because there's too much of it and not enough audience? a bit of both ?
                          I wish i had more to contribute on this topic, sort of a non statement but the reality is that demand is low as the others have stated.

The brands discussed on this forum, who is left really doing shows in paris? YY , SOLOIST, RICK OWENS for SS20, styles have changed, people have moved on.

this is the reality tbh. we are living in a different time now.
                          Originally posted by unwashed
                          Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                          Originally posted by Ahimsa
                          I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• marux
                            • Apr 2013

Maybe I'm missing something and I'm the stupid one but I don't feel a very strong connection to the brand. This is of course very subjective criticism, but I feel that where other designers have built a bridge in to my feelings, be it through strong storytelling, surprising conceptualism or the designer themselves being interesting or inspiring – BBS fails to build this connection with me. I mostly enjoy the aesthetics of the brand, but it's been a long time since I've been surprised by the products or felt moved on an emotional level. While consistency is not a bad thing and I'm sure there are a message somewhere to be received, it's not reaching me. When these factors are absent I find myself looking for the aesthetic elsewhere where it's either cheaper or from a more interesting source.

Comment

• tornaremavencer
                              • Aug 2012

I'm on the contrary - I liked that about Boris. No bullshit, no cute storytelling that I don't care about, no fashion ever moved me on an emotional level. Just real, hardcore clothes, I liked that also about Isaac Sellam - just putting good product out there without trying too hard. But that's just me

Comment

• TheInformalGenius
                                • Oct 2015

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
                                I wish i had more to contribute on this topic, sort of a non statement but the reality is that demand is low as the others have stated.

The brands discussed on this forum, who is left really doing shows in paris? YY , SOLOIST, RICK OWENS for SS20, styles have changed, people have moved on.

this is the reality tbh. we are living in a different time now.
                                If im not mistaken... I read and article on SZ (I think )about how Runway Shows are really pointless for brands anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎