X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • upsilonkng
    • May 2010

Originally posted by jskidder1 View Post
    i would suggest talking to someone who has handled the garment in person and forming your opinion based on that. even if not a forum member here, you can gain knowledge from correspondence with retailers who have the garment physically in hand and are able to describe it to you.

i would also avoid presenting an uninformed opinion as fact. it is one thing to rely on photos or second-hand descriptions to make a personal buying decision, but quite another to pass your thoughts on in a way that might influence others.
    I think most people go by what they see and the information they have, and for now the antonioni pics is what we have. Have u handled this stuff? it's cotton and doesn't look great by any stretch and as of now no one is really carrying it and they have buyers that handle the stuff right?
    I think asking any retailer if the thing their livelihood is based on is of good quality and expect an honest answer is pretty ridiculous. that's more than naive it's just plain silly. Maybe I should ask the bmw dealership if the new cheap 3 series is any good, curious what they would say....
    if it quacks.. and this 11 stuff is quacking and no one , i think not a single person here is like fuck can't wait to get this 100% polyester bag for $510 or a bad fitting hoodie for $540 it does say something since a lot of us actually buy and wear his shit.
    if u know something, like th shirts are the softest cotton ever made feel free to share cause it don't look it.

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

I agree with jskidder - analyzing the quality of a garment based on styled store photos is very difficult and making any statements based on this can be quite misleading.

a few points, and I'm basing all this on having handled the whole line in the showroom:

I feel like a broken record saying this, but I don't understand how its so difficult to get. The 11 line is a more streetwear oriented, targeted at a different market than the mainline. It doesn't seem to me like a low budget / simplified version of his mainline, and from what I've gathered from Boris himself, its not intended as such. of course there are similarity in some of the clothes, its because they were designer by the same fucking guy, not because someone tried to make the same thing but cheaper. Same thing as drkshdw, I don't see anyone calling it a cheaper version of RO mainline?

As for quality;

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
      it's cotton and doesn't look great by any stretch
      The materials are different from the mainline, the cottons which you mentioned are not delicate, but more "regular". You could compare it to drkshdw t-shirts, the cotton ones are quite different from the sheer and delicate materials (cotton, viscose, silk etc) of RO. Does the quality of drkshdw jersey cotton look "great" in similar photos? probably not, but is someone really looking for some special and delicate fabrics in this case? The more substantial drkshdw tees are fairly regular washed cottons, personally I like the l/s tees for their cut and design (and colors). I'd say its the same thing with Boris' 11 line, the clothes are not based on fine fabrics.

I'm comparing the two because they are both "offshoot" lines, in a similar price range and also both quite different from each desginer's main lines.

Originally posted by exterminatingphantom View Post
      Anyway, whoever the target buyers for this stuff is (high school and college kids i'm guessing), I doubt they'd be able to afford it or even bother with it. Kids these days are getting much smarter about their image
      I would say the target market is guys who are more into streetwear, skateboarding etc, whether they are younger or older. I wouldn't underestimate their buying power. if you look at streetwear brands, many of them aren't cheap and they aren't very "fashionable" either (for the lack of a better word..), so maybe the 11 line falls somewhere in between there. Its more edgy than most streetwear, but more casual than for example BBS mainline. There has been plenty of interest towards BBS in that market in the past years but I have a hard time imaging that many of these guys actually buying his mainline apart from some basics.

Let me add that hardly anything in the 11 line is my style, but I can appreciate it for what it is - not a cheap version of his mainline, but rather a crossover to a slightly different genre.

As for retailers, I've said it before but I doubt many BBS retailers are the ones that will pick up the 11 line for the reasons above, I'm surprised antonioli picked it up but then again they don't exactly have the most coherent style (selling jeremy scott and jimmy choo next to julius or l&f).
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Peasant
        • Jul 2009

I skate and I'll be buying a few things including a bag. I beat the shit out of my clothing. This stuff looks like it can take it. 100% down for this line.

Comment

• cjbreed
          • Feb 2009

well hold on now...

i should have chosen my words better up there when i said "real thing". i should have said "main line". i get what the intention with bbs 11 is. but i also don't think thats incompatible with being cheaper versions of mainline pieces. and it is also not meant as an insult to say that. lord knows i could benefit from buying cheaper versions of a lot of things lol. i guess that by saying that it is only cheaper versions of mainline pieces would be less than the whole truth, so i shouldn't have said it so tritely.

but, my thinking is that when it comes to basics like hoodies tees and jeans, which is what we are seeing here, what separates designers like rick or bbs that have a streetwear influence from simpler streetwear brands is basically the fit, fabric and treatments. which is also where a lot of the cost is. so, for example, if you remove those components a rick owens unstable cotton tee becomes this

and if you remove or simplify the fit, fabric, and treatments...

this

becomes this

this:

becomes this:

this

becomes this:

one thing about the hoodie is that the removable hood may seem gimmicky but is actually very functional if you're skating because it can flop all over your face when you're doing tricks so i get that. hoodie when walking, sweatshirt when skating. i used to skate when i wasn't old and fat.

so anyway, you can argue that the mainline is a more refined and sophisticated version of a streetwear staple. or the other way around. that the streetwear line is less precious, restrictive and delicate versions of the mainline stuff. it is not an insult either way.

now, using drkshdw as an example, it is both different and less expensive than the mainline, but it still uses interesting fabrics and treatments and fits. a drkshdw tee is more sophisticated than a basic distressed tee that you can pick up at urban outfitters. especially the fabric. which i'll admit is not so obvious in photos. so what i need to know is if the fabric on this bbs11 tee is readily distinguishable from the fabric on an american apparel tee. and so on. it doesn't seem to be in the photos but i can't say one way or another with certainty.

also, i do think the model on antonioli may be wearing the wrong size. which doesn't help.
          Last edited by cjbreed; 06-06-2013, 01:19 PM.
          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• jskidder1
            • Jan 2011

from what i have seen so far, i must say that i do like the jeans that cj posted above. i think they fill a need for a basic jean from bbs, and they look more interesting to me that a pair of drkshdw detroits. if the denim is substantial (something that drkshdw has been lacking) i think they will be a pretty solid option.

Comment

• upsilonkng
              • May 2010

is it a remake to Unbreakable? a new "I know what u did last summer" ? a new Mortal Combat game? i guess we'll find out soon enough....
              Boris Bidjan Saberi releases a new video previewing his latest project, also known as 11. In

Comment

• docus
                • Dec 2010

Looks like very decent basics to me, with a street/skate feel - I particularly like the hoodies, good slouchy weekend wear. Not my usual style but I might even go for one. I'm not so keen on the '11' branding on the bags tho.

Comment

• Macro
                  • Apr 2008

I would wear pretty much all of line 11. the graphic is a little off putting. it would be cool if he partnered with someone more assimilated with street culture for graphics... someone that can do hip-hop inspired prints, hardcore prints... similar to what Gosha is doing but perhaps more abstract, rooted in Boris's aesthetic universe.

He can cut a fucking pant. And the sweatshirt grey is an ideal color choice for this line. I hope it continues past this season... its a good outlet for the company to separate and explore the two contrasting design modalities.

edit: Boris, put the shoelaces on the pants as belts.
                  every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• Peasant
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Macro View Post
                    edit: Boris, put the shoelaces on the pants as belts.
                    100% from skateboarding.

Comment

• Macro
                      • Apr 2008

He does it on his own pants, so it makes absolute sense to implement into this line.
                      every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• diorowen
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
                        is it a remake to Unbreakable? a new "I know what u did last summer" ? a new Mortal Combat game? i guess we'll find out soon enough....
                        http://hypebeast.com/2013/6/11-by-bo...-video-preview
                        I kinda love this video though.. haha, although from a normal person's perspective the clothes looks like what the rice farmer would wear. but of course in black color. I still love it for no particular reason.
                        still trapped in my juvenile state

Comment

• Peasant
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Macro View Post
                          He does it on his own pants, so it makes absolute sense to implement into this line.
                          Yeah. I'm saying that its derived from skateboarding thus furthering the argument that this line is influenced by it.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by diorowen View Post
                            I kinda love this video though.. haha, although from a normal person's perspective the clothes looks like what the rice farmer would wear. but of course in black color. I still love it for no particular reason.
                            Yes, the point of the video is to emphasize the tech nature of the fabrics.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• exterminatingphantom
                                • Sep 2012

Was this shot in Spain? Would love to see more!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎