Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjbreed
    • Feb 2009

yeah, so i'm not really that bothered by it. in fact i thinks its kind of cool for a workout/running shoe thing
    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• BodyDouble
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      No, just the Reebok logo. Ask me how I know
      Do they look better in person?

I just can't see these worn with a boris fit, even the sailorism shorts, or any of the 11 offerings, but who knows, they might make more sense in a fit pic. Obviously Boris is deeply impacted by hip hop and street culture so maybe these are just a nostalgic passion project for him.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Well, as compared to Hypebeast shitty photos, yes
        We were supposed to break the news, but I guess Reebok has their own ideas.
        I could see them work with 11.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by BodyDouble View Post
          I just can't see these worn with a boris fit, even the sailorism shorts, or any of the 11 offerings, but who knows, they might make more sense in a fit pic. Obviously Boris is deeply impacted by hip hop and street culture so maybe these are just a nostalgic passion project for him.
          I think its worth keeping in mind (also for anyone thinking how can boris design shoes like this) that this is, as cjbreed said, an athletic shoe model made by Reebok, for which to my understanding bbs did a color scheme for. they are not produced by the label and I doubt they will be a part of their collection per se.

As for the influence, you are probably right. These are what I was rocking 20 years ago and being the same age as Boris and having lived in a similar atmosphere, I imagine he had them too.

That said, the modern version of the pump is pretty ugly (not that the 25 year old versions would be much prettier) but at least you can blame Reebok for the actual design
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BodyDouble
              • Jan 2014

Wish i'd seen the SZ photos before I made my judgement. The other photos made them look like soccer balls for your feet.

Comment

• axtang
                • Sep 2013

while the shoes look infinitely better in this shot than in the godawful hypebeast photos, it's still not great. the black stitches over what should be that signature stripe feels like so many tiny little nails in what was an already shut coffin.

but as has been said or implied a few times already, critiquing these shoes as bbs shoes is a pointless exercise, as they are quite simply reebok sneakers with a bbs color-by-number scheme. leveling an sz critical eye against a production reebok trainer seems a bit unnecessary.

that said, this does ring a bit hollow for a collab, and feels more like a cash grab. at least the rickdidas were clearly a creative endeavor on the part of both parties, with a significant departure from each of their respective domains.

Comment

• Null12
                  • Oct 2013

I was actually kind of shocked when I saw the SZ Pics. I didn't really expect that collaboration coming up. However, I think it's nice clean simple Pump Fury. I might snag a pair if I see them my size to add to my other black and white shoes.

Comment

• AngelofDeath
                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                    yeah, so i'm not really that bothered by it. in fact i thinks its kind of cool for a workout/running shoe thing
                    I'd totally rock these for exercise if they end up being about a third of the price of the Rickdidas lol.
                    I want you to tell me who you are in your dreams. Who is there? And is it beautiful like music?

Comment

• gavagai
                      • May 2010

Regardless of whether one likes the Rick x Adidas, at least we know he had input and he actually used the shoes for the runway. These BBS shoes are ridiculous and the color scheme is hardly different or more interesting than any other mongoloid cross trainer I've seen. The idea of Boris working with reebok of all brands is ludicrous. I know that access and relationships interrupt what could otherwise be rational criticism but this takes the cake...

Comment

• kuriz
                        • Nov 2010

Hope to see Froning, Bailey and all those other big dudes in BBS sneakers! On a more serious note...I was indeed a follower but with the prices sky rocketing and these very odd designs it's just not the same thing anymore...guess I'll have to become a RO follower like the rest of you guys^^

Btw., 359 reps 14.2, you serious? :O
                        Last edited by kuriz; 03-12-2014, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
                          Regardless of whether one likes the Rick x Adidas, at least we know he had input and he actually used the shoes for the runway. These BBS shoes are ridiculous and the color scheme is hardly different or more interesting than any other mongoloid cross trainer I've seen. The idea of Boris working with reebok of all brands is ludicrous. I know that access and relationships interrupt what could otherwise be rational criticism but this takes the cake...
                          I agree. I was quite surprised myself. But, hey, we bring you the news, you make the judgment

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
                            • Feb 2009

i'm surprised but it doesn't bother me. i'm not opposed to the idea of fast cash and in this instance i feel like it doesn't dilute his brand at all. partly because he didn't offer any real significant design input and he's not trying to promote the hell out of it. he just let reebok put his paint on a shoe. i think its clear that boris probably wore the hell out of some sneakers in his youth so maybe it was just a cool idea to him and a nice check. and the other collaborator on this particular shoe is 24Kilates, a boutique in Barcelona, presumably peers of his.

it appears that quite a few designers have done the same thing on the same shoe, including....chanel

and Reebok will be releasing 27 collaborations on this very sneaker in the year 2014 to mark its 20th anniversary

27 collaborations. this BBS11 version is one of 27, hardly the same as the rickdidas. this is more like drkshdw/eastpack
                            Last edited by cjbreed; 03-12-2014, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

BTW, I don't know why everyone is automatically assuming this is cash dropping on designers from the sky.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
                                • Feb 2009

what i meant by that is that if it was fast cash for bbs then good for him. i wish i had more fast cash. and what i mean by fast cash, or a "nice check", is an easy check. one that requires a comparatively minimal effort, regardless of the amount.
                                Last edited by cjbreed; 03-12-2014, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎