• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by guardimp
    I would argue Boris already has started designing like shit. His new stuff pales in comparison to the stuff from 2-3 years ago, and yet the price has skyrocketed. This article is merely a symptom of his changing output.
    I never said he dropped the quality - I was making it clear that I would love to see his sales volume skyrocket so long as that did not lead to a decline in quality. The quality is great, and is reflected by the price.
    Do you even read what you write? Seriously...
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• myshkin
      • Jun 2014

I've followed Boris' work since he had his first collections presented on Darklands. That stuff was truly hardcore. I still enjoy many of his mainline offerings though his 11 Line has really been depressing. I enjoy the stylings by Sz mag but in general that line has been a total disappointment. Prices are skyrocketing but I miss the hardcore stuff that seems to have disappeared 3-4 years ago.

Comment

• noirgt
        • Oct 2012

To me Boris is getting better every season. He always makes the same thing, but improves the details each time. Like mentioned above his P13 no longer have problem on the crotch. In the current season he add ribbed cuff on long sleeves cuz the old ones cuff would stretch a lot after a few wears. Maybe he just doesn't want people to look like crazy hobos when wearing his garments so he put more and more thought into his pieces. He just became more practical-detail-oriented than design-detail-oriented and this to some people appears to be more "mainstream"... If mainstream means highly thought after long lasting garments and avant grade means fragile stuff with useless details, I'd rather dress in "mainstream" everyday. Good garments is not about runway show, lookbook or editorial photos, but more of everyday wearing experience.

Comment

• noirgt
          • Oct 2012

Then you need to always find new designers label to wear cuz no mature designer's pride will allow him/her not refining his/hers pieces. You can find those aspect you love in many design school student's graduation show. Very raw and excessing details.
          I feel so sick that so many people just watch the runway pictures and saying Boris is going "mainstream" even without experience the real garments season by season.
          Broken crotch is not beautiful, stretched cuff is not beautiful. What makes the designers we discussed here distinct from others is that they always focus more on design and quality. They make shoes that can be worn for 10 years, leather jackets that will age beautifully after years of wearing and garments with fabric that you can't find anywhere else.
          If Boris kept doing what he did when he just started the label, probably he's already been forgotten by most of us and definitely we won't be able to see his NYC flagship store now.
          And actually I think Hermes is very nice.

Comment

• justin_bridou
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
            Earlier seasons had an issue with the infamous crotch seam (which I have experienced firsthand), but, recent seasons have resulted in that problem area being reinforced...
            don't you think that, at this level of pricing, the issue should have been detected "before" going into production ?

Comment

• BodyDouble
              • Jan 2014

these days people complain when clothes fall apart and complain that clothes don't fall apart fast enough.

My experience with Boris personally, and i'm sure i'm not alone here, is that I got a lot of mileage out of each item and wore things every single day, sometimes to the point of not even having to wash anything for weeks (gross, I know, but some of his items just don't seem to soak oils or body odors like most other clothes do), and while i've never experienced any of his items falling apart, i'm guessing when they do it's because they are being worn and abused daily.. As Boris himself says, it is Armor and armor eventually wears out.

Comment

• p2h
                • Jan 2014

what was really impressive for me in his early seasons was the back's construction on his leather jackets and blazers, really beautifully made for the look.
                He has always had great quality and has good stuff, I just think it looked more appealing in the past (blood and primitive).
                I do agree with it, when in his fall winter 09/10 the whole collection was absolutely great, I now just find few pieces really interesting in his late collections, leather jackets are still interesting but I prefer past designs of his (I only felt attracted by his hood leather jacket during winter collection in 2014)
                quality and tailoring are not to discuss with BBS for all what I've experienced but prices are going nuts and I'm used to think BBS sells his productions almost only during sales.

Comment

• julian_doe
                  • Mar 2013

Guardimp, by saying that "...designing like shit is talking about the design, it has nothing to do with the quality. These are unrelated things. He has always had great quality and has good stuff, I just think it looked more appealing in the past (blood and primitive)...", you are actually contradicting yourself. Quality and aesthetic are both incredibly important to design. Simply because his recent work does not appeal to you does not mean that Boris is "designing like shit." Such is just an opinion, and obviously an uneducated one at that (especially, given that you later praise the quality of his design, and even the progress of his brand). If your problem with his new collections is the fact that you miss aesthetic characteristics from his past collections, maybe you might appreciate a more stagnant designer. I am not trying to recommend this with a negative intention, but maybe try Poell.

Comment

• julian_doe
                    • Mar 2013

If you are so educated and insightful it would be nice to hear your opinion on the topic at hand as opposed to merely roasting me. I edited the post to start this page to be more in line with your wit and candor. Thanks for the critique :)
                    I am not boasting at all, but I am certainly critiquing the substance of your post. In some aspects, BBS collections have certainly changed. There are more refined pieces in every collection, sure, but the "worn" aspect of some of his pieces is still clearly there (if that is the only thing you care about). Body molded leathers, sporadic waxing and wear on trousers, entirely hand stitched elements, and many other artisanal and rustic qualities can be seen all over S/S 15 and F/W 15. As well, you stated that Boris is "designing like shit" and the only real reason you offered to support that statement was that his collections don't appeal as much to you anymore. I offered to explain that the quality and progress which you praised Boris for are a HUGE parts of design. You might also want to take into consideration, the complexity of his cuts (as in his tailoring) and the functionality of his pieces (as in the new vest bag, which is far more useful).

So, I am left wondering if you have any other reason for making such a statement aside from you just not liking his collections anymore...

Comment

• Pleue
                      • Sep 2011

BBS TANN scent collection

Stay ahead of all the latest fashion drops, interviews, styling suggestions and new fashion trends at Highsnobiety Style.

These look very nice.
                      moderation kills the spirit

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tarringlee
                          • Apr 2014

I am confused of some BBS garments, just wonder do most of BBS high neck outwears come with the metal collar clips? or the clips only made for some specific models? can someone help me on this please. Thanks

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Only for specific models.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tarringlee
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              Only for specific models.
                              Thanks Faust.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎