X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akatsuki
    • Nov 2010

Waxed canvas effect

I really want to try and re-create this effect on a set of pants...

Any suggestions on how to go about it? First real DIY type project for me, so go easy!
  • swims
    • Jan 2012

funnily enough this is something that i was looking into recently. if you look up how to make oilskin, theres some guides for using linseed oil that seem simple enough. it involves heating the oil though, which is a bit of a fire risk. after coating the fabric, i imagine wrapping it up and handwashing will give it a mottled, 'tie-dye' effect and take off some of the leathery oily appearance. another option would be just to wear the fabric and let it wear off naturally.

Comment

• akatsuki
      • Nov 2010

So should I just start off with some cheap khaki type pants?

Comment

• michael_kard
        • Oct 2010

No, you should try this out with the most precious pair of trousers you own

Make sure that the fabric is densely woven, like twill or gabardine. Otherwise the coating will just permeate it and may feel gross against your skin.
        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Patroklus
          Banned
          • Feb 2011

it'll permeate anything and feel like an expired condom, which is part of the appeal

i heated some boiled linseed oil and beeswax in a coffee can on the bbq, along with some black RIT dye. painted it on with a big brush, rubbed it with rags to work the wax in more and used an iron on the other side of a cloth

wear a breath mask probably idk your lungs
          Last edited by Patroklus; 11-08-2012, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• swims
            • Jan 2012

one thing i dunno about with using the linseed mix is the smell; did it pass after a while or is it still strong on those patroklus?

Comment

• Patroklus
              Banned
              • Feb 2011

they smelled like paint thinner and bled on everything. it started to wear off on its own until they were caught in the rain and that settled both the bleeding and the smell fo good. so, if i were to do it again, i'd probably soak them once the wax was good and dry.

p.s. they are not waterproof.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎