• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Rick Owens for Fur Campaign

Original

"Over the next few months International Fur Trade Federation (IFTF) will be stepping up their advertising spend, with the aim of increasing awareness of the fur trade.
    The first campaigns have already begun to be published, with a highly editorial collaboration with American fashion designer Rick Owens appearing in the November 2012 issue of GQ in UK, Spain, Germany, France, Italy, Japan and China. There will also be advertisement in the November/December 2012 issue of Vogue.
    Rather than solely focusing on fur in fashion, the IFTF are targeting different audiences. The Economist has just included a thought-provoking advertisement in their latest issue, naming fur as another three-letter industry that is continuing to thrive despite the economic downturn alongside oil and gas.
    Another advertisement brings to the reader’s attention how fur can be used in interior design. This advertisement brings to the reader’s attention how fur can be used in interior design. This advertisement will feature in House & Garden magazine near the beginning of 2013."

Not trying to start some crazy PETA stuff up in here, just trying to spark a discussion about the current upsurge in fur in fashion. Not to mention Rick's involvement in a marketing campaign to help forward the acceptance of fur...an industry worth over $15bn. I mean using fur is one thing, but waving its banner as well?
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store
  • beyondthemeans
    • Sep 2008

Worst ad ever

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I thought most of the stuff I see on the streets is fake?
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• GlassOrganelle
        • Aug 2011

This advertisement is a bit of a WTF, and I don't understand what message it's trying to promote; fur is a good luxury product? I'd be more interested in the origins of fur and information regarding the treatment of those animals, without the PETA red paint. I'd like to be able to wear a fur with knowledge that the animals weren't skinned alive to make it. You could easily extend that argument to leather, but I don't really want to spark a crazy PETA-esque debate.

Rick's involvement is also a bit of a WTF in my mind, even if he does use a lot of fur.

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

This also makes no sense to me...including the prominence of a metal bracelet in the ad.

I guess lobby groups have to promote themselves as well...but this makes as much sense as Rick doing an ad for the Dairy Counsel.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Ahimsa
            Vegan Police
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            I thought most of the stuff I see on the streets is fake?
            Yes and no. Although it is now illegal when labeling in the US since Obama signed the bill, it's actually somewhat common for cheap faux fur to actually be made of either cat, dog, or raccoon dog.

Comment

• Peasant
              • Jul 2009

fur/leather.. same shit.

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
                Yes and no. Although it is now illegal when labeling in the US since Obama signed the bill, it's actually somewhat common for cheap faux fur to actually be made of either cat, dog, or raccoon dog.
                also unicorn.
                i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Peasant
                  • Jul 2009

Touche.

Comment

• LupinTheFourth
                    • Aug 2009

FUR FUR FUR

Fur industry simply isn't as grand as it used to be..
                    (increase of animal rights groups and of course the increase of more accessible materials that have the pretty much the same advantages for fraction of the price..)
                    There's a market for sure but it's different than lets say 20 years ago even.

In this case a bit of promoting every now and then is necessary, therefore they'll grab every designer who's willing to play ball..
                    For a designer this is a pretty interesting question, to play or not to play ball. Because of this:
                    -Free material with a possibility for free manufacturing for samples (this goes for students as well so who the hell would have access to this type of BLING if it weren't offered in exchange of promoting something?)
                    -Free press/publicity (the Fur peeps are willing to go to great lengths to have someone collaborating with them, not even necessarily for FUR itself but the 'this and that' is using our product is enough and they're pretty flexible when it comes down to communications of the designer and not the industry itself)
                    -Possibility to go and learn and to try out techniques, all expenses paid (with maids n shit..)
                    -They're searching for continuous partnerships (play with us and we'll be good to you again) so this pattern can repeat itself

(This comes from a personal experience, so I don't have much bad to say about fur industry or fur as a material, but I do consider it to be just a material among others.)

I can't say much about NON-european fur farming, because I haven't been in any farms outside europe.
                    From what I've seen the conditions at those EU farms are quite good (remember, those animals are being kept to be killed and skinned for their prized fur so they're being kept well.)
                    And NO the animals are not skinned alive
                    (Minks = carbonmonoxide 'BOX'*)
                    (Foxes = eletricity)

But Rick likes fur and the fur people like Rick = perfect collaboration
                    I'm sure he's fine how they're promoting him/themselves and I suppose he'll get some more pelts to make bedspreads and curtains...

I don't want to get distracted but I'd have a ton of shit to say about this topic...

*Sleep away...
                    modern man

Comment

• Ahimsa
                      Vegan Police
                      • Sep 2011

^One electrode is attached to the animal's ear or muzzle and another to the anus or vagina. Shock goes through them, gives heart attack. May or may not kill them.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
                        Oh, gross.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jogu
                          • Jun 2009

i dont kno anyone that wears fur but my impressions of it are that it looks soft and probably warm but also looks like too puffy and i know it costs alot so i also associate fur coats w/ older rich women . i didnt know how the furs obtained and i assumed it was done in the same way leather is ? so the disdain for fur is a lil surprising when i know how ppl drool over leathers .. till i read some of the articles on fur . pretty gross .
                          far as the ad up there i kinda like it , looks pretty rick to me and i always liked that particular model . i wondered what happened to him cos i dont think ive seen him on runway since crust ? doesnt rly feel like an ad to promote fur tho . not gonna lie but i like the lil bit of black fur around the collar of thta jacket , definately like the nunchacku style bracelet too

Comment

• messenoire
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by rilu
                            what does this mean exactly? the first is a gas chamber if i get it right, but what's the "electricity" thing, electric chair or what?
                            the gas chamber looks more like a giant gas dumpster. i can shed some light on the electrocution method, there is actually a metal prod inserted rectally and they are then electrocuted. if you are interested more about fur from an anti-fur perspective i'd suggest checking out a film called skin trade.
                            you can view the trailer here:
                            skin trade

Comment

• several_girls
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                              I guess lobby groups have to promote themselves as well...but this makes as much sense as Rick doing an ad for the Dairy Counsel.
                              Only thing I could possibly think of is maybe Rick participates in the "Origin Assured" program.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎