• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patroklus
    Banned
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by GlassOrganelle View Post
    You could easily extend that argument to leather, but I don't really want to spark a crazy PETA-esque debate.
    no you can't. leather is a byproduct of the meat industry, and animals aren't really killed for it, but fur animals aren't food animals and they aren't killed for any reason but to use their fur.
    the leather industry at large does have some worrying environmental implications tho

Comment

• GlassOrganelle
      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
      no you can't. leather is a byproduct of the meat industry, and animals aren't really killed for it, but fur animals aren't food animals and they aren't killed for any reason but to use their fur.
      In my mind leather is still a byproduct of killing. Leather just appears to be less brutish in that case as most people don't have a problem with meat. Raising animals just for their meat, and thus leather, is to me comparable with raising them just for their fur. Both raise and kill animals for production. It may come down to the fact that raising animals for food isn't morally as disturbing to most people. Even if people didn't eat meat surely there'd be producers out there raising animals for leather?

But don't get me wrong. I wear fur, leather and eat meat.

Comment

• Ahimsa
        Vegan Police
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by GlassOrganelle View Post
        In my mind leather is still a byproduct of killing. Leather just appears to be less brutish in that case as most people don't have a problem with meat. Raising animals just for their meat, and thus leather, is to me comparable with raising them just for their fur. Both raise and kill animals for production. It may come down to the fact that raising animals for food isn't morally as disturbing to most people. Even if people didn't eat meat surely there'd be producers out there raising animals for leather?

But don't get me wrong. I wear fur, leather and eat meat.
        Some meat is indeed a product of the leather industry, for instance ostrich. As is some cases with cow leather as well.
        Here's an article to expand on it a bit:
        Don't hide from the truth source: theguardian
        "Whether or not you chose to wear leather usually depends on your stance towards meat, be it vegan, vegetarian or carnivore. The issue of whether or not you are at ease with the practices of the meat industry is one for your own conscience: this column aims merely to provide some facts in an area where there is frequent misconception.

Many people happily wear leather on the grounds that it's a byproduct of animal slaughter for meat and therefore a form of recycling - waste not, want not. But is leather really a byproduct? Yes and no. It might be more accurate to describe it as a subsidy. It's very hard to get any statistics as the big meat companies are under no obligation to release figures, but the selling of skins can certainly be very profitable for farmers (while meat is not always so). You could therefore argue that by buying leather, you are supporting the meat industry.

Farmers don't sell hides for tuppence ha'penny out of the kindness of their hearts or from a desire to minimise waste. They are in a moneymaking business and need to maximise profits, and the leather industry is worth billions, if not trillions, of dollars annually. The profit depends on the animal involved: while cows, of course, provide most of the leather we use, there's an increasing demand for more exotic varieties.

Take ostrich, for example - in South Africa, ostrich farms are a developing industry. But there, the conventional picture is reversed: the skins account for some 80% of the slaughtered bird's value, and it is the meat that is sold as a byproduct. Again, if the bird's death doesn't bother you there's no moral problem, but don't kid yourself that the leather would have gone to waste if someone didn't buy it.

Another oddity is that demand is rising for organic or free-range meats, as an increasing number (though still a tiny minority) of people try to source their food as ethically as possible. Yet many of these same people will happily buy cheap leather. This makes no sense: if you won't tuck into a steak that came from a miserable animal, why buy its skin? Given much of the leather we use comes from countries where animal welfare is firmly at the bottom of the list of priorities, don't imagine your handbag previously led a happy life.

The softest, most luxurious leather comes from the skin of newborn or even unborn calves, cut prematurely out of their mother's wombs. Sometimes it will be from the same veal calves whose lives of misery are well documented. Many committed carnivores draw the line at veal: why then wear calfskin?

As I have tried to emphasise, if none of this troubles you then buying leather goods poses no problem. Clearly it would be hypocritical to happily devour a veal escalope but balk at buying a soft leather bag. But if it makes you slightly squeamish, consider cutting down on your leather purchases. If you feel sick, cut out leather altogether. It's your choice.

You may want to consider the environmental issues before making a decision. The process of tanning leather is incredibly toxic. Most is chrome tanned, which results in carcinogenic chromium (VI) being pumped into the water table. While most factories in Europe and America can no longer get away with this practice, the same cannot be said of the vast leather industry in China, where many bags, jackets, and shoes begin life - including many bound for the luxury market. While leather can be tanned used non-toxic vegetable dyes, chrome tanning is faster and produces a flexible leather that's better for high-end bags and coats, so there's no incentive for factories to switch.

So are there any alternatives? Yes, and they're increasing all the time. Vegetable-tanned or recycled leather is used to make Terra Plana's ethical shoes, which also feature sustainable rubber soles. Companies like Beyond Skin make shoes from fabrics rather than leather or plastic. And if you're hunting for accessories rather than shoes, look no further that Matt & Nat, a fantastic company who will provide you with gorgeous bags, purses and wallets.

Of course, PVC and PU plastics used in leather alternatives have environmental problems of their own, which I will come back to in future columns, but many ethical companies, including Bourgeois Boheme, avoid these by using a mix of recycled or biodegradable elements. And before you reply that leather is biodegradable, bear in mind that archaeologists frequently find leather items dating back 12,000 years. That's a very long time in a landfill."
        StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎