• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peasant
    • Jul 2009

Taichi Murakami

Taichi Murakami:
    Former m.a+ pattern maker Taichi Murakami, who lives and works outside Yokohama, Japan. His concept contrasts research into technical sportswear while maintaining a strong artisanal component (via Atelier blog).

Website: http://taichimurakami.com/taichimurakami.html (there ain't shit going on there)

Exclusively sold in Japan with the exception of A.

MOUNTAIN PARKA:
    Comprised of heavy Ramie, the yarn is coated with Konjac, a vegetable starch native to Asia, which enhances the textiles strength and softness. This technique, dating back to the Edo era, results in a fabric that ages like denim. The sleeve has a double layered, adjustable cuff – inside, heavy cotton jersey insulates heat and protects from wind.

SLIM JEAN:
    These are made from the same Konjac coated Ramie as the Mountain Parka. The pockets are gusseted and fastened with buttons.

INSIDE OUT SHIRT:
    By utilizing densely woven, extra fine linen, this shirt has a very smooth and silky texture. The pocket and sleeve cuffs are sewn inside the garment.

Didn't see this anywhere but I may have missed an existing thread. Please delete/relocate if necessary.
  • kompressorkev
    • Dec 2006

I am liking a few of these pieces so far. There isn't much of a visual narrative context for this brand yet - as you can tell from the bare website - but I'm looking forward to seeing how this brand develops in future seasons. The construction details are interesting, from the "blind" zigzag lockstitch on the inside to the undone tally mark stitching on the outside (not sure about the significance of this). I like the mix between sportswear and traditional Japanese craft (e.g. konjac coating on ramie pieces, a patchwork shirt like a summer masu quilt pattern). I think it pairs well with LUC and Devoa in particular.

On fabrics: the SS13 collection was done in dry and lightweight fabrics such as linen, ramie, and a cotton-viscose blend that felt like hemp. For AW13/14, the collection is produced in Mongolian cashmere. But the cashmere is treated or blended so the result is something that appears less luxe, something more like hemp (see last picture in the following set). The konjac glue applied to ramie for SS13 was to prevent fluffing, so I'm not sure if the coating on this season's cashmere is used for a similar purpose or it's just about making the clothing feel less precious (the collections feel pretty casual and "old," for lack of a better term...e.g. buttons are made of tin).

You can't see much from this LIFT presentation from AW13/14, but some pics nonetheless

picture credit to LIFT

Mountain Parka in long version for this season

and a few detail pictures of the ss13 ramie parka from Centocose

Comment

• messenoire
      • Nov 2009

i love his work. i tried on a hoodie at atelier and it's cut to perfection.

Comment

• Microphonemike
        • Dec 2013

I have the Slim jeans. They are worth every bit of their hefty price tag. I tried in the 6 and 7 and ended up going with the 6 because the the 7's legs weren't as slim. It turned out I had the have the waist let out about an inch to make them comfortable. Mr Mirukami stitching is quite unique. He uses one lose stitch on the outside to make it a scar stitch and the strengthens it with a second tight stitch behind it. Thank god my tailor is a genius. It might also be worth noting that the buttons are what I believe to be Sterling Silver. I haven't tested them but being a jeweler, I'm pretty sure.

Comment

• Microphonemike
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by messenoire View Post
          i love his work. i tried on a hoodie at atelier and it's cut to perfection.
          I must agree. I came really close to buying that same hoodie.

Comment

• nicelynice
            • Oct 2009

Digging this thread out of the grave, saw the current collection in a short tour of fall arrivals and was definitely impressed with what I saw. This year definitely has the most "complete" collection I've seen from this brand, rather than the bits and pieces I've seen trickle through from last fall and spring.

All of the pieces are cut very well with amazing materials. Was particularly impressed with a pair of denim jeans lined in cashmere and some ramie trousers made with a single piece of fabric that switched to a different texture right where the seams would be on a traditionally sewn pair of pants - subtle but wonderful details like this pervade all the clothing from the collection.

I've been a bit let down by Japanese designers lately other than Individual Sentiments, nothing by Viridi Anne or Devoa has really popped out to me in recent seasons, but Taichi Murakami felt very refreshing. Gonna go in for another look and try on a bit more pieces when I have a bit more time, but definitely planning on picking up a pair of pants and maybe a jacket this year.

Comment

• cjbreed
              • Feb 2009

this looks interesting to me as well. not sure how i missed it before...
              dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Dorje
                • Oct 2013

Looks great.

The ramie slim pants are amazing...

Comment

• palgrave
                  • Jul 2013

Anyone have a link?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

Here's a bunch of lovely shots for SS14 and FW14:

http://www.couleur-coltd.com/categor...ichi-murakami/
                    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• zen dog
                      • Jan 2014

The Archive in San Francisco has Murakami in their blog photos- I'm guessing the pieces haven't arrived in store yet. They are great to work with. I'm hoping they get pieces other than those listed and they come in American big boy sizes- I think I'm at Murakami's limit for pants.

Comment

• nicelynice
                        • Oct 2009

Lift has pictures of the recent collection on their website:

I know this gets said about a lot of clothes, but pictures really don't do these pieces justice - I hesitate to link even these pictures. They look flat and lifeless without any detail shots, and its the details that really make this brand. My impressions completely changed upon seeing them in person.

Shelter only has pictures from past seasons, but their styling is good and photography is much better:

Shelter2の[taichimurakami]カテゴリ全8記事中1ページ目(1-8件)の記事一覧ページです。

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                          • Jan 2011

taichi produces much nicer than m.a+. maybe more like m.a+ meets devoa in terms of productions

Comment

• cjbreed
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by cowsareforeating View Post

taichi produces much nicer than m.a+. maybe more like m.a+ meets devoa in terms of productions
                            thats a bold statement
                            dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• magic
                              • Feb 2009

I like some of the jackets like the parka for example. The stitching details and tapes seams looks cool. But definitely not the pants above.. I think it's too loud imo (raw egdes).
                              Focusing on object details

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎