X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

finding, looking, shopping, etc.

I thought we could have a more general thread for chat about women's fashion that doesn't necessarily belong in the collection threads.

Post here about new arrivals you've seen, your vintage finds, stuff you're admiring, what you're into lately, etc.

I am marveling at how much Junya stuff Barneys bought and wondering just who is going to be wearing all this techno gear.

Also wondering if anyone has seen pieces from Dries' grunge collection for Spring...
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.
  • rider
    eyes of the world
    • Jun 2009

you mentioned two of the labels that i immediately honed in on for spring and even did a speedy lurch to get some things because i believe some will sell out quickly. dries especially this season has the rumbling of a big hit for him. i've seen it in person and the pieces in tartan are gorgeous, perhaps the best color palette he ever did. the ink blue, umber brown, alizarin crimson and ivory tops are my favorite, the ones fronted with plaid silver metallic integrate beautifully together and have sheer black bottoms or sleeves that you cant help but love. its about how the skin shows through the print. grunge is the new grail apparently because its selling very well, rightly so.

on a completely different front is what junya is doing with techno and its good, really good. have seen quite a bit of this popping up online [like you said, barneys went large] and some of it in person. buyers must have loved this because its apparent a lot of stores bought into it very heavily, and i have a feeling because of the steeper prices and the fact that there are so many common buys it could hang around for awhile. as far as the cuts, typical junya, they are super flattering when the waist is nipped in. some of the arm and shoulder treatments are bulgy in weird ways. the navy/silver combo is my favorite colorway although the black puma mesh parkas are sexy as hell on. some stores gladly have picked different pieces, not runway, but beautiful sheer knits that remind me of y's red. sheer accents must be my thing lately because between junya, comme and dries i chose tops all with sheer panels.

i think what dries and junya did this season is going to be very influential in mainstream fashion in the near future.

so not to be totally a collection review, i've got to mention that what i'm admiring lately are loose fitting trousers that slouch a bit on a womens frame.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Gonna check Junya out tonight.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

^plz be sure to check on drop crotch bike shorts for me.

thanks for the great review, rider...is this your Dries top?

Last edited by laika; 02-23-2014, 10:25 PM.
        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• rider
          eyes of the world
          • Jun 2009

Yes!

so, Mr. R what did you think of Junya?

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

So, I only got to check out the tops, because I had to work and then run to our party in Wburg. Outstanding!!! I loved the layers of organza over knits. Everyone should buy one, now! I am definitely going to come back and check out the rest.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fadetogrey
              • Apr 2009

I'm pleasantly surprised by the looks of this:

It looks much more appealing to me from shop images than it did on Rick's runway. I love the texture.

Comment

• GlassOrganelle
                • Aug 2011

^^ The shape and texture is lovely, I think in the runway presentation that was the only item that stood out to me.

I can't say I feel the same way about a lot of the other Rick pieces. This top and the sheer volumous fabrics don't really fit with the vision of Rick that I like.

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

that's quite pretty, ftg, I can see it working in a lot of contexts.

I think my fave think from Rick's mainline so far is these crochet pieces. They look like something you'd find tangled up in the sea.

Comment

• laika
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    I loved the layers of organza over knits. Everyone should buy one, now! I am definitely going to come back and check out the rest.
                    thanks for the report!

are you talking about comme or dries? surely there's no organza in the junya collection?

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

J.U.N.Y.A!

The stuff that looks like mesh on the runway. Maybe organza is not technically correct, but it looked like it!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

^sounds awesome. rider got a beautiful comme top that is knit with sheer panels, and I thought you might have been referring to something like that.

Comment

• rider
                          eyes of the world
                          • Jun 2009

it seems that sheerness (mesh, crochet) is picking up some traction here...and i like that direction very much. very pretty examples posted, each with a different take on the theme.

Comment

• ahn
                            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by laika View Post
                            that's quite pretty, ftg, I can see it working in a lot of contexts.

I think my fave think from Rick's mainline so far is these crochet pieces. They look like something you'd find tangled up in the sea.

I actually didn't like those knits at all... I feel like it's vaguely emulatory of season's old Rodarte... even Helmut Lang's been producing similar warped and imperfect knits for a few years. Maybe I'm way off but at this point they feel so out of place to me.
                            some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• fadetogrey
                              • Apr 2009

I feel the same- I must preferred Ann's take on the open knit a few seasons back. Maybe it's the mix of colours I don't like.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎