• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

Zippers, Buttons & Hardware - best/worst/repairs/discussion

So...I hate Rick's new zipper pulls. The old one felt as strong as a house key. The new one feels closer to a key that opens a tin cashbox. A small thing, but still...
    Last edited by Dane; 02-07-2013, 11:54 AM. Reason: copied from rick ss13 thread
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Dane View Post
    So...I hate the new zipper pulls. The old one felt as strong as a house key. The new one feels closer to a key that opens a tin cashbox. A small thing, but still...

Also, the leathers continue to be made in Moldova, if anyone's curious. Quality is still the same, washed calf (code LT) is the same used last season, so no weight difference between fw and ss, only the lining. Also, no inside strap.
    It's not a small thing. It ruins EVERYTHING. I was quite disappointed to see the same zippers in the FW 13 as well. And I am not being a geek here - zippers are too important of a detail on Rick's (and everyone's) jackets not to notice.
    Last edited by Dane; 02-07-2013, 11:53 AM.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cyberthom
      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      It's not a small thing. It ruins EVERYTHING. I was quite disappointed to see the same zippers in the FW 13 as well. And I am not being a geek here - zippers are too important of a detail on Rick's (and everyone's) jackets not to notice.
      worst part is that they feel even cheaper than they look.. bundled with the missing shoulder straps since fw12 it's quite a big let down for me too.. the shoulder strap is soo handy on the tube..

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Okay, I thought I was just being a need. It feels soooooo cheap, almost plastic. They're still using Raccagni, so it must have been a conscious decision to change the pull. I hate it, but I love the jacket too much to return it over a small thing.

I wonder if I can get a new tab on there somehow.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

IT'S ZIPPERGATE BITCHES!

Comment

• kunk75
            Banned
            • May 2008

i will say ugly zippers are a deal breaker. it's why i've shied away from julius.

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

nooo...don't make me regret buying this thing...I've honestly bought & returned 1/2 dozen leathers in the past few months trying to find one that fit.

seriously though, it's annoying, but not a deal breaker on this particular jacket. Maybe on the stooges where there are several zippers it would be though. I just don't understand the change.

Comment

• kunk75
                Banned
                • May 2008

^cost I guess, like everything else in the world.

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

probably. I wonder though if it was at rick's request, or the zipper company changed their product? probably the former.

anyway, I'm over it.

Comment

• sixledge
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
                    i will say ugly zippers are a deal breaker. it's why i've shied away from julius.
                    The one reason why I also stay away from Julius.

As far as the Rick zippers go.

It is strange, the zipper pull feels very cheap, but even worse if you handle just the zipper pull alone.

I have a friend who had his pull ripped off and when I held it in my hand I was shocked. The sturdiness it has when it is attached to the zipper track must create some type of physical illusion because when I held the pull in my hand independently it felt like a little piece of plastic that I could snap in half.

With the prices Rick charges they really should come with a better quality zipper no matter what the current economic pressure is.

I don't think it completely kills the look but I would be careful not to have an accident and loose your pull.

I had an issue with a zipper before and Rick Owens does not seem to be very helpful in finding a fix. The response that I awaited from their production team in Italy finally arrived simply reading - "Normally pull is 8 but is not easy to replace." and nothing more.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

What's wrong with Julius zippers?
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

I like julius zippers, but I prefer rick's former, only because I like the utilitarian look. riri zippers are beautifully smooth, but I can't say I love the pull julius chose. maybe all riri zippers have that pull? they could still go custom though like guidi did with excella.

I love talking about zippers. Is there a zipper thread?

edit - there is now:

Comment

• xeraphim
                          • Nov 2008

same with buttons - the ones used this season are complete shit.

Comment

• jskidder1
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by xeraphim View Post
                            same with buttons - the ones used this season are complete shit.
                            Agreed. Plastic buttons at these prices are unforgivable. Especially the ones used this season. Rick needs to go back to the horn buttons.

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

high end Zippers are a pain and can be ridiculously expensive

here in NY, One Riri/ Excella can run you $16-20 a pop fpr samples, so if you are making jacket with 5 Zippers you are looking at anywhere from $80-100 in Zippers alone

For production, buying directly from Riri isnt much better because you pay approximately 11 per Zipper + shipping and import taxes from Switzerland.

I use exclusively Riri but every season I curse at them

and Dane, there is nothing wrong with the pulls on the Julius Zippers i guess its a personal choice by the company, because riri Makes a huge variation of pulls you can choose from
                              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎