• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by cyberthom View Post
    What's weird is that DRK SHDW uses the old style zippers across the board so if the new one's are cheaper surely you'd expect the diffusion line to go economy first..
    That is strange, but maybe they're using up the old stock still on hand on the drkshdw stuff?
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• sixledge
      • Dec 2011

I'm pretty sure the newest BBS zippers are actually a military grade zipper that he sourced. Not sure of the name though.

Comment

• endorphinz
        Banned
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Dane View Post
        I like julius zippers, but I prefer rick's former, only because I like the utilitarian look. riri zippers are beautifully smooth, but I can't say I love the pull julius chose. maybe all riri zippers have that pull?they could still go custom though like guidi did with excella.
        I believe julius switched from riri to ykk at least 5 years ago.

I prefer excella to riri and I love double zippers . Jackets fit me much better when I can pull the bottom slider up a little to relieve some tension on the lower torso. plus, it's cool to be able to configure the sliders placement differently.

Why doesn't rick use double zippers? or does he on some jackets?

also, the notion that rick is trying to cut costs by using inferior zippers is laughable. I can't believe he gives a shit about trying to hit a strict price point when he does his merchandising. any increase in materials (WITHIN REASON) could easily be passed on to consumers.

and, if he is cutting corners on manufacturing, it's disgusting. He should look to recover his margins elsewhere.
        Last edited by endorphinz; 02-08-2013, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• Patroklus
          Banned
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
          The best zippers i've handled are YKK. Tbh I never got why Riri are considered so great, besides their conspicuous branding.
          SMOOTH PULL. REALLY SMOOTH. AND I DON'T KNOW IF YOU'VE EVER FELT THE TAPE BUT IT'S REALLY SOFT. BUT IT STILL FEELS SUBSTANTIAL. BOTH TO ZIP UP AND WHEN YOU TOUCH THE PULL AND THE TEETH
          IT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WOULD MAKE IF I WAS A ZIPPER MAKER AND WANTED TO CREATE A LUXURY ZIPPER

Comment

• kunk75
            Banned
            • May 2008

who knows, maybe the less chunky zippers help him sell more womenswear. and no rick jackets have dbl zips

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
            I believe julius switched from riri to ykk at least 5 years ago.

I prefer excella to riri and I love double zippers . Jackets fit me much better when I can pull the bottom slider up a little to relieve some tension on the lower torso. plus, it's cool to be able to configure the sliders placement differently.

Why doesn't rick use double zippers? or does he on some jackets?

also, the notion that rick is trying to cut costs by using inferior zippers is laughable. I can't believe he gives a shit about trying to hit a strict price point when he does his merchandising. any increase in materials (WITHIN REASON) could easily be passed on to consumers.

and, if he is cutting corners on manufacturing, it's disgusting. He should look to recover his margins elsewhere.

Comment

• Patroklus
              Banned
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post

LUXURY LABELS ARE STILL IN COMPETITION WITH ONE ANOTHER
              IF RICK'S PRICES GO UP CUSTOMERS WILL GO BUY CHANEL OR W/E
              BUT WHEN HE'S AT A SIMILAR PRICE POINT AS OTHER LUXURY LABELS WE WANT TO BUY RICK BECAUSE IT'S THE BEST
              RICK MAKES MORE MONEY
              AND THEN USES IT TO MAKE MORE CLOTHES

THE FASHION CYCLE EXPLAINED

Comment

• hurricane08
                • Nov 2008

A single zipper from Lambo is far better than double zippers from any other brand imo.A good zipper doesn't need to be double.Double zippers suppose to last forever,but the opposite happened to me twice. Also you end up making people waiting for you to wear your jacket.

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

Im confused. Double zippers are used for function, not for better quality.
                  i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• endorphinz
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2009

^
                    I think he's talking about double zippers as in 2 zippers side by side

I was referring to a zipper with 2 sliders. This jacket has both. 7 total excella zippers .it is excella heaven

Comment

• Jan 2011

Originally posted by hurricane08 View Post
                      A single zipper from Lambo is far better than double zippers from any other brand imo.A good zipper doesn't need to be double.Double zippers suppose to last forever,but the opposite happened to me twice. Also you end up making people waiting for you to wear your jacket.
                      I agree Lampos (not 'lambos') are the best of the bunch. Heavy and substantial.

How hard is it to replace a pull tab? My Incarnation leather has a nice YKK zip on it, but they've replaced the pull tabs with Incarnation ones and I dislike the feel of them.

Comment

• chestercopperpot
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by 888 View Post
                        I agree Lampos (not 'lambos') are the best of the bunch. Heavy and substantial.

How hard is it to replace a pull tab? My Incarnation leather has a nice YKK zip on it, but they've replaced the pull tabs with Incarnation ones and I dislike the feel of them.
                        Big lampo fan here. Balmain uses lampo and they're great. Hate the pulls but the older decarnin stuff is nice and sturdy.

Haven't seen the new Rick zips yet and I'm nervous.

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by 888 View Post
                          For future reference, here are some zipper anatomy terms:

Can anyone chime in on replacing things? I know you can replace the slider, if you're fortunate enough to find one that matches (often marked in a circled number on the back), but I was curious if you can just replace the pull-tab?

Also, anyone have good online sources for zippers & parts (mainly for nicer brands that have been mentioned already)?

Comment

• sixledge
                            • Dec 2011

Not sure about replacing the pull tab.

But you can get some YKK stuff here:

http://www.hardwareelf.com/elf/zippers.jsp

Also I have bought zipper parts from amazon and ebay.

Comment

• Jan 2011

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

Also curious about what other "sz" brands are using for zippers? I recall CDG not using anything special, L&F uses either ry or riri iirc.

What about Devoa/Forme/IS, etc?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎