• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

Explain your avatar / username

Just for fluffy fun...I'm always curious about people's avatars/usernames. I think much of the time I completely miss the point (no surprise there), and often see something completely different than what the avatar actually is (tiny pic, crappy vision, etc.)

My avatar is Michelle Lamy wearing a fur mask. My username is my actual name (bo-ring).

edit - ha, I just noticed what it said below my name
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

In William Gibson's book, the Idoru, there is a strange virtual community/city/website called The Walled City. The Etruscan was as close to an authority figure as The Walled City had. Had to pick a name, went with this one somewhat at random to join a forum about ... plausibly tropical fish? ... in 1999 or 2000. Not a ton of recollection behind what it was about the character that appealed to me.

My avatar is an insane robot wearing a dog-suit (GIR), eating a cupcake. For no reason. It's from a nickelodeon kid's show about an alien determined to exterminate humanity. I have no idea why I chose it.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Pumpfish
      • Sep 2010

A pumpfish is "a fish that pumps up". That is something my youngest daughter once said. No more to it.

The picture is an HR Giger baby bullet. Think I might go back to Fat Freddy's Cat for Summer.
      spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• Fade to Black
        • Sep 2008

My avatar is a William Eggleston photo that I like. No particular symbolic significance or message.

The screenname I cannot quite explain, either. Registered for the fashion spot in 2004 (or was it 2005?), was the first thing that came to mind and it's the one I've used across several forums since, up to the present when SZ is the only place I still post on.
        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• cjbreed
          • Feb 2009

when i was in high school there was a rapper named mc breed. he had a song called "ain't no future in yo frontin". as u can imagine, back then i was the typical alternative/indie kid, so my friends and i would listen to this song (stoned) and laugh to no end making fun of the whole thing. the name, the song, everything.

well, there was a girl that i knew, and she had to draw a portrait for her art class, so she drew me, wearing a black leather jacket that i wore all the time, but she added some fat gold chains like run dmc, and titled it cj breed. cj are my intials. and it stuck to some degree.

and thats how she lost her virginity.

i actually kind of hate being called cj. lol.

oh and right now my avatar is the mona lisa making a duckface.
          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Mail-Moth
            • Mar 2009

I am a nomadic pest and I like cryptid dogs painted by japanese people.
            I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
            I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• mortalveneer
              • Jan 2008

old poem of mine, much prefer the title to the actual bit

mortal veneer

smooth and unblemished the image floated
              a morbid fascination to which I’m devoted

in contrast with a mottled crumbling cast
              a face far less fair than that held fast

by a seething mass of screaming aberrations
              trying, failing to tame the bane of creations

that grinning vision oft donned and cherished
              a mask of the truth that life has ever perished

a sleekly deceitful avatar so recklessly sought
              beneath whose grim visage is tragedy wrought

against an eternal quandary man has grappled
              across whom life’s fading light is dappled

obscuring the sepulchral shadow that patiently waits
              for the last sand to slip the hourglass’ gates

Avatar is from a series of shots looking upward through an abandoned silo in central illinois that has since been destroyed.
              I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                when i was in high school there was a rapper named mc breed. he had a song called "ain't no future in yo frontin".

i was listening to this back then too...except I remember honestly liking it. he was pretty influential for someone that few have heard of. did you hear he died a few years ago?
                i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• snafu
                  • Apr 2008

snafu...

but actually it was the first thing that came to ming choosing a name, 'snafu' was a club i used to go to often when i lived at home and i guess started posting on forums. Didn't really think of the military thing at the time.

My avatar is a photo of me and my gf taken in the reflection of a mirror in our first flat together about 4 years ago... i just like the colours and the obscure portrait i guess it has.

Nothing fancy but at least both have a personal relation to me, or some valued memory.

Comment

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                    and thats how she lost her virginity.
                    oh and right now my avatar is the mona lisa making a duckface.
                    cruel bastard)

well, ok
                    My username is just a short version of my actual name (well, not very correct but I prefer this form) so booring too

Avatar is some shot of Jay Munly (one of the best voices of Denver-sound scene) for his Lupercalians project and there is a figure in black KKK robe, barn book as a symbol of knowledge and Munly himself with his ghouly face. What can be better.

Comment

• cjbreed
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Dane View Post

i was listening to this back then too...except I remember honestly liking it. he was pretty influential for someone that few have heard of. did you hear he died a few years ago?
                      well, at that time see, as someone that was too cool for school, it was important that i remain steadfast in my hatred for all things commercial, which at this time included rap, and people that liked rap, especially the basketball team. the soccer team (me) and the basketball team were mortal enemies. they liked rap, therefore i hated it. hahahaha....memories. life was fun back then before it started to suck

but yeah secretly we all liked it. guilty pleasure i guess.

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

my high school had several thousand students, so you didn't even know if you were cool or not (although I'm sure I wasn't), so we just listened to whatever. even though at the time I dressed somewhere between grungy-plaid-shirts and goth-raver. *for shame*

now that I think about it, I really don't dress all that differently...minus the fun-fur.

Comment

• cjbreed
                          • Feb 2009

jesus. yeah my school was pretty small compared to that. i think my friends and i were little proto-hipsters. too cool for everything and whatever you like i liked it last year u fucking conformist. pffft. kids...

man. i sound old.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                            my high school had several thousand students, so you didn't even know if you were cool or not (although I'm sure I wasn't), so we just listened to whatever. even though at the time I dressed somewhere between grungy-plaid-shirts and goth-raver. *for shame*

now that I think about it, I really don't dress all that differently...minus the fun-fur.
                            Several Thousand? Toronto? Did you go to Northern?

I went to a very small and sheltered private school downtown and some kids would tell me stories like "You wouldn't last a day at Northern." I always did wonder at a school that size how some people surface to the proverbial "top." Well I guess your post kind of answered it, after all these years.
                            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• unwashed
                              • Dec 2008

I became interested in jeans cause of a friend of mine working in a Jeans store and introduced me to selvedge raw denim. Evisu jeans and the likes were just upcoming here (2000?) and what we did was not washing our jeans for years for effects sake. I joined super future because this forum was actively discussing denim and in Holland there was nothing. I used the name unwashed because all my jeans were unwashed. Through sufu got to know about sz and this name stuck. At the time I was too lazy to choose an avatar and ever since still am
                              Grailed link

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎